This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been back less than two hours.

I've been back from a vacation less than 2 hours and already encountered a SC. It's like the world just saves them up for the days I have to cover for people's sickness. Because really, there can't be that many SC's in the world, right?

Right?!

Sarcasm aside, here's how it all went down....

It's Saturday morning and one of the ushers is sick (BG for those who don't know, I work as a projectionist for a cinema, I also cover shifts for front of house staff who can't come in), so who gets to double up as an usher for the top screens? Good old LoT!
    I've just come back from a lovely relaxing vacation, I'm feeling pretty good at this point, nothing can phase me. And what's more, it's a lovely day outside, we aren't likely to get much custom. All in all, it sounds like today is going to be a breeze.

The kids start arriving for the early morning kids shows, most of them are good and well behaved, it's the parents who aren't! Today was no exception.
    The elevator opens up and out walk a young family, a man, a woman, one kid of about 5 and they have a baby in a buggy with them. All good so far.

I take their ticket and ask them politely if they can park the buggy in the space provided nearby. This is a fire and safety procedure, so there are no exceptions. It's at this point the poop hits the fan.

Mother: But I just got him (baby) to sleep! I must take him in.

Me: I'm sorry, it's a health and safety thing, the aisle is small and a buggy would be an obstruction. Nobody would see it in the dark and might fall and injure themselves or your son. (Trust me, it's dark in there, I'm used to it and even I've tripped over stuff people leave in the aisle.) You can take him in the detachable carry cot and place that on one of our seats or in your lap though.

Mother: But the carry cot is too soft! I'm not leaving him out here!!

Me: You can still take your son in with you, that's not a problem, I just can't let you take the buggy into the auditorium. We would get in a lot of trouble, especially if someone got hurt.

Mother then takes full advantage of the fact the ticketing area is getting busy and rushes off to do precisely what I told her not to. I take everyone's tickets and shake my head in disappointment. Why did I have to jinx it by assuming this would be an easy day?

But she's not getting away with this that easily, oh no. I have in my possession, a radio of managerial summoning! Within moments my manager is here and I explain what's happened, he tromps off into the auditorium and in about two minutes, returns with mum on the run, buggy and all.

Mother: But I don't want to leave it out here unattended!

Manager: There is someone here at all times and the area is secure, you can still take your child in with you.

Mother: So someone is here at all times?

Manager: (clearly trying not to get frustrated) Yes, at all times.

Mother: So I can leave my baby with her? (Meaning me)

Me: (inwardly) no no no no no no.

I'm NOT responsible for your children, this is NOT a nursery. You bring your frakking child to a cinema, it's your responsibility to see that they are looked after.

Manager: No, we don't provide child care, you must accompany your children under the age of 12. The buggy is safe in the buggy park.

Mother: But I don't want to leave my son out here unattended!

Manager: (now not bothering to hide his exasperation) Nobody is asking you to leave your son out here, you can take him in with you and your other son.

Mother: But She (that'd be me again) said I couldn't.

Me: No, I said exactly what my manager is saying, it's okay to take your child in a small carrier or in your arms, but not a buggy because it's an obstruction. (I am not letting you pin your bout of stupid on me!)

Mother: Are you calling my son an obstruction?!

Me: (Yes, yes that's exactly what I'm doing, especially since I used those exact words...only I didn't, did I?) Not at all. The buggy, however, is.

Manager: What my colleague is saying is our policy I'm afraid, you will have to either leave the buggy outside the auditorium and we can let you and your son in, or we can't admit you with it.

Mother: Well then, I'll just have to sit outside, won't I!

And sit there she did, for a whole hour, the entire time giving me death stares.
    I understand, parents, you just got your kid to sleep after one too many sleepless nights. Quiet time is precious to you. So why the living hell would you bring your "light sleeping" child to a big, noisy room full of hyper 1 - 10 year olds, where loud music and sounds are blasted at you for an hour or so?? Am I missing something here, or are you actually implying your kid can sleep through all that, but the second you unclip the carrier from the buggy frame, he's gonna wake up? I know kids are finicky but I'm calling bullshit on that one.

And what was with not understanding she could take the kid in, but not on what looked like the all terrain, 4 wheel drive of buggies? Do you actually want one of those hyper 1 -10 year olds to run around in the dark and send your child flying down a flight of stairs? Because that's what would happen.

I need another vacation kthnxbai.

Quoth Legacy_of_Torment View Post
    I understand, parents, you just got your kid to sleep after one too many sleepless nights. Quiet time is precious to you. So why the living hell would you bring your "light sleeping" child to a big, noisy room full of hyper 1 - 10 year olds, where loud music and sounds are blasted at you for an hour or so?? Am I missing something here, or are you actually implying your kid can sleep through all that, but the second you unclip the carrier from the buggy frame, he's gonna wake up? I know kids are finicky but I'm calling bullshit on that one.
    I 100% agree with this. The kid's asleep now... but you're bringing them into a place with bright lights and lots of noise and they'll continue to sleep? I'd love to know what reality-altering substance you're taking!

Comment

This is what babysitters are for. It was pure stupidity on her part for bringing a baby to a cinema. You just... you don't DO that. I never went to the cinema as a baby. My parents had the common-sense to take us to a baby-friendly place, like a park.

That's bad enough, but then trying to blame you for ruining her day (because ultimately, that's what she was getting at) and twisting your words to make it sound like you're rude is just unbelievable.

I'm glad she sat out there for an hour. I just hope she didn't keep getting you down with the death stares.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
        This is what babysitters are for. It was pure stupidity on her part for bringing a baby to a cinema. You just... you don't DO that. I never went to the cinema as a baby. My parents had the common-sense to take us to a baby-friendly place, like a park.
        The earliest movies I can consciously remember seeing in a theater as a child were The Empire Strikes Back and Flash Gordon in 1980, the summer I turned six. There may have been others before that, but I wouldn't remember them, because children that young can't remember anything, so bringing an INFANT into a movie theater is a dick move, both for the kid (who be assaulted by loud noises and scary images on a giant screen that they can't comprehend) and everyone around them (who will be forced to listen to the kid understandably screaming their little lungs out for two hours). If a child is under five, find some OTHER activity to share with them. I don't care if the movie is rated G, it still doesn't excuse the fact that kids under five are going to get NOTHING from the experience other than boredom and/or trauma.

Comment

my infant son would sleep through movies because he learned to sleep with normal noises(the local cinemas weren't that loud). I was not getting baby-rearing advice from sitcoms(seriously, that's the *only* place I've ever seen this phenomena) where as soon as the television couple's baby is asleep everyone must become ninjas, least a ruffled paper will cause them to wake screaming.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I know that Cineplex has its "Stars and Strollers" program where moms can watch movies with their babies. The sound is lowered and the lighting dimmed, and they even have a changing table and stroller parking where available.

I'll bet that even if your theatre had a program like that, Mommy Dearest isn't taking advantage of it.
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
              my infant son would sleep through movies because he learned to sleep with normal noises(the local cinemas weren't that loud). I was not getting baby-rearing advice from sitcoms(seriously, that's the *only* place I've ever seen this phenomena) where as soon as the television couple's baby is asleep everyone must become ninjas, least a ruffled paper will cause them to wake screaming.
              My mum did exactly the same thing. As kids, my brothers and I could sleep thru huge amounts of noise; I even slept partway thru the hurricane of '87, and only woke up cuz my brothers woke me up to go watch it thru the French doors.

We didn't go to the cinema tho til we were old enough both to appreciate it, and to sit down and shut up. XD I often got two films for the price of one, as my brothers refused to go see the girly films I went to with my mum (My Little Pony, Care Bears and She-ra) and I got to go see their film with them.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                My mum did exactly the same thing. As kids, my brothers and I could sleep thru huge amounts of noise; I even slept partway thru the hurricane of '87, and only woke up cuz my brothers woke me up to go watch it thru the French doors.
                Right? Our house was small and I slept in a loft that was right above the living room. Did I get total silence growing up? Almost never! I sleep very well, and only wake at night if there is a sudden very loud sound.

Those giant strollers seem like a lot of trouble. I regularly see the double wide jogging strollers on porches as I drive through the neighborhood, they don't fit in the door! Okay, if they were really used for that purpose, fine. But when a mom tries to wheel one through my store it's unpleasant for everyone.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We took our youngest to a movie when she was a few weeks old. However, it was a drive in. It was in the late 70's. One of the Herbie movies. I wouldn't of thought of taking her to a regular movie as a baby.
                  "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Babies grow in a very noisy environment - their mothers. Silence is more disconcerting for them than noise, up to a certain point at least! Still, if you know you're going somewhere with loud noises, maybe trying tog et them to sleep isn't the best course of action to take?
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post

That's bad enough, but then trying to blame you for ruining her day (because ultimately, that's what she was getting at) and twisting your words to make it sound like you're rude is just unbelievable.

I'm glad she sat out there for an hour. I just hope she didn't keep getting you down with the death stares.
                      But the baby sitter might put the kid in a microwave/sacrifice it to satin/sell it to abbasayyid slavers/gypsies/use it for a sex toy/feed it to pit bulls

Honestly, how did we survive to 2014 with all the dangers surrounding our poor sprogs?!
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        But the baby sitter might put the kid in a microwave/sacrifice it to satin/sell it to abbasayyid slavers/gypsies/use it for a sex toy/feed it to pit bulls
                        That would be the most FABULOUS prom dress EVER.
                        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                          That would be the most FABULOUS prom dress EVER.
                          Yes the spelling satin was deliberate too
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            But the baby sitter might use it for a sex toy
                            Well, whatever yanks your chain....
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                            X