Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What not to say to your health care professional..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
    My best friend had them at 15. She still says that hands down, it was the most painful thing ever...and she had a botched impacted wisdom tooth removal X 4.

Oh yeah...it was. I couldn't stand up straight for three days because of the pain and my stomach and back were covered with huge, blistery, oozing rash. Then when it started to heal it came back for one last big hoorah--I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst back pain I have ever had in my entire life. Don't even get me started on the rash itching like hell when it was healing......
    I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

<Cell phone rings while patient has sigmoidoscope inserted 2 feet up his ass.>
      Dr: I double-dog dare you to answer that.
      IP: <Answers phone> Heeeeyy WHASSSSUPP???
      I'm sorry but haivng anythign up the exhaust pipe would not make me in the mood to communicate anythign to anyone that could be said in polite company.

Shingles. Lovely. They almost make you want to take an acid bath just for the relief.

Comment

I was in the doctors office getting my yearly "lube job" (pelvic exam) and had put my phone on vibrate so as not to interfer with my appointment. The damn phone goes off in the middle of the exam, and the nurse asked me if I wanted her to hand me the phone..... I replied, "Hell no!" and was thinking WTF???

Comment

IP: <Answers phone> Heeeeyy WHASSSSUPP???

Caller: Hey man, I need ya to come downtown right away and bail me outta jail!

IP: Sorry, dude. Can't do it.

C: Whaddya mean you can't do it?!? I've bailed you out before! What the hell has gotten up your ass?!?

IP: Uhhhhhhh........

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
            IP: How come I had to wait 15 minutes??!! And the guy who had the appointment after me was taken before me??!! This is terrible service!!!
            Dr: You called at 9:30 and got an appointment for 11:40. The 11:50 patient was taken first because he was blue in the face and so short of breath he couldn't talk.
            Happened to me in Casualty once... I was stretchered in after suffering a nasty accident; was knocked off my moped. I had a bashed head, broken ribs and broken hand, so I was naturally seen first cuz they wanted to X-ray my head. As I was pushed out of the waiting room, I heard this woman saying in a snippy tone, "Why's she being seen first? I've been here for ages?" Jeez, work it out, dumbass!
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth danegrous_21 View Post
              house would put all these people in there place.
              Just wish he'd put the cable company in its place.... He's been preemted for a bunch of idiots to get paid millions to play a kids' game! I miss my weekly dose of Dr. Needs to Take Bedside Manner 101 Again! *Cries*

Comment

Hey now. No ripping on the World Series.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                  Workerbee hangs head in shame.

Momentarily not thinking, I once did say to my doctor, "Oh, no, I don't have shingles. Only OLD people have shingles." My own diagnostic skills are not good.
                  I had shingles at 12. Missed about a week of school.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The 5 year old daughter of a friend of my wifes had shingles. She never had chickenpox though. No she had to have the chickenpox "vaccine" to enter school, and that was the source of her shingles.

And from what I understand, shingles never really go away. It can reoccur at any time and at any age. And why? So she could avoid ever getting chickenpox.

Some vaccine.

Comment

Quoth 0oAmericanGirl View Post
                      Dr.: I have written you a perscription for [some generic drug]
                      Idiot Patient #2: I only take name brand drugs not the cheap brands
                      Dr. :Ok, I was only trying to save you money.
                      Idiot Patiend #2: It's ok I'm on medicaid, I don't have to pay for it.
                      Dr. :*angry* Well if your drugs are comming out of my pay check, then you'll get the cheapest brand I can find.
                      That's interesting, at least in our state, Medicaid will not cover brand meds, so they're stuck with generic unless they want to pay out of pocket for it. In any case the generics are just fine. The only ones I've seen have consistent issues is fentanyl patch (generic for duragesic, long acting pain for people with opioid resistance) not sticking that well, and hypercare (aluminum chloride for reducing sweating) solution that doesn't have a decent applicator. Other than that, they're all good.

As for the chickenpox vaccine, the virus that causes shingles is the same one that causes chickenpox. It resides in your peripheral nervous system for the rest of your life, and only starts proliferating if your immune system is depressed for whatever reason (like getting old, being on a steroid, or have an autoimmune issue, etc), causing shingles. Methinks that little girl had something else going on if she reacted that way to the vaccine.
                      The studies thus far have shown that the vaccine has reduced the amount of time off kids have to take off for an infection, and also has reduced the number of deaths that occur every year from a bad reaction from the infection. (yep, some kids have died from chickenpox).
                      Like all vaccines, overall they do a great good for society, but there's always a few that have an adverse affect, and it's unfortunate, but that's the law of numbers and complex biology. Don't let your friend's experience sour you on making sure any of your kids don't get their full battery of vaccines.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        Happened to me in Casualty once...
                        Almost the same here..

The EMTs were wheeling me into the ER along with two other patients. I had suffered a herniated disk, and while the whole walking upright thing was out of the question, it wasn't gonna kill me.

Several members (junior members) of the ER staff tried apologizing about the other two patients being taken in first, I waved them off because...

Numero Uno--I had been awake for 24 hours and had been shot full of Demerol, Valium and a quarter-grain of morphine. I was in a lot of pain, but it was all OK because my head was in a VERY nice place. I didn't mind the wait.

and Numero Two-o The other patients were an elderly gent who had suffered a massive stroke and a three-year old girl who had taken a tumble off Gramma's porch and landed on her face, flattening her nose and cracking her skull. I figured if the ER doc thought he needed to look after them first, well then, they needed looking after first, hmmm?
                        Last edited by TonyDonuts; 10-23-2006, 06:49 AM.
                        I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Yeah, shingles recurs. And boy, does it suck.

And not just when you're immune suppressed. Stress can also trigger a recurrence. Case in point: my episodes have dropped from about three times a year to once in the last two years. Even though the last two years have seen two surgeries and the addition of a part-time volunteer job.

The difference? My divorce.

Morgana

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                            The difference? My divorce.
                            If I got divorced, I wonder if my migraines would be less frequent. I started getting them shortly after we started dating. Hmm...
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                              If I got divorced, I wonder if my migraines would be less frequent. I started getting them shortly after we started dating. Hmm...
                              I started getting mine after I started working
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                                I think most of mine come from reading the posts on this site

Comment

Working...
                                X