Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 Imaginative Attempts to Improve the DeLorean (1 inspired by ME!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Imaginative Attempts to Improve the DeLorean (1 inspired by ME!)

http://theweek.com/article/index/239...e-the-delorean

I'm just tickled pink by this article. I've actually seen the hovercraft, electric car, monster-truck, and trailer in person.

But the police car is special.

Unfortunately I can not prove this because the forum I was on at the time since had a major crash and they had to start over. But back in 2006 I creted a 1:18 scale die-cast DeLorean police interceptor (complete with working lights) for a contest at a DeLorean Car Show.

I was keeping a D-enthusiast forum informed about the progress, and the video featured there was recorded by another member of that forum specifically because he thought my idea was cool and wanted to see what it would look like in real life!

I just can't prove it.....
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

If anyone cares to know....

The monster truck (which was featured on Monster Garage) was not actually created by the guy named there. He is the current owner but it was originally made by someone in Texas IIRC. Rich modified it further with an extra 12 inches of lift and the super swampers, plus some TLC and other improvements. The DeLorean used had been in an accident and had significant chassis damage which is why it was mounted on this frame.

The gold DeLorean was factory, believe it or not. They had planned to make up to 100 gold-plated DeLoreans (the only ones to be made with a beige interior) to be sold through the Amex Gold Club catalog. Only two were made and purchased. A third was made afte the company went under using the leftover set of gold panels (that one has a stock interior). One is in a museum. The other was for many years in a bank vault somewhere (with 0 on the odometer) but may have bene sold. The third is privately owned and was actually driven. I don't recall the mileage but I remember being very surprised....5 digits I think....

The hovercraft was made by Rich Weisensel. It's really just damaged DeLorean body panels bolted up to a hovercraft. If you saw the Monster Garage episode where they tried to make a DeLorean hovercraft, then this is essentially the first version of the monster that they started to make until Jesse vetoed it. THe panels used were all off damaged cars; the doors came from one that had burned.

INcidentally, the guy who was kicked off of Monster Garage in that episode....his name is Rick Gendreau (public knowledge). I know him personally. He's a really awesome guy. He had bought a DeLorean with extensive chassis damage and a blown transmission and rebuilt it with two engines.

I've seen his car, ridden in it, and even got to DRIVE IT because I had made a 1:18 scale model of his car and he was so flattered and impressed that he offered to let me drive it!

There are at least 3 known electric DELoreans that were converted aftermarket. I've see all 3 in person at car shows.

Yes I'm bragging at this point.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I really like the gold DeLorean!

I've seen the trailers at Hotrod/Classic Car Shows in my area.

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

I'm going to get shot for this but the DeLorean gets WAY too much popularity for what it is. If it wasn't used in the BttF trilogy it would have died an appropriate death for being one of top ten poorly designed commercially available vehicles.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          I'm going to get shot for this but the DeLorean gets WAY too much popularity for what it is. If it wasn't used in the BttF trilogy it would have died an appropriate death for being one of top ten poorly designed commercially available vehicles.
          The Ford Pinto and 1960-1964 Corvair (rear axle changed to 2 U-joints per side for 1965 model year) would belong on that list, but what would the other cars be?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
          X