This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy software is sloooow

I don't know why we're still using the crappy software I talked about in this thread. In spite of still having most of the issues we were having before, management decided to also use the software for reporting government monitoring (aka HMDA - ethnicity, race, and sex).

Getting to the part of the software to do the gov't monitoring requires going into a separate interface, which takes 2 full minutes to load. Then you have to choose the loan, which takes an additional 7 minutes or longer to load. Really. I've timed it. At one point, I even restarted my PC and didn't load anything but the loan software, and it still took 7 minutes for the loan to load in the interface.

I suspect that part of it has to do with the server being at the main branch in another state. Plus our internet is slow with intermittent outages. I've contacted the software provider and our IT guy, but nothing has come of it. I emailed them again today, so we'll see if anybody gets back to me. I'm not hopeful.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Programmer?

While the network connection is the most likely cause of your problem, it just may have a crappy programmer.

Both I and my brother Clive have made our living as programmers (I spent more time as a computer tech), so we have traded samples of bad programming we have run across from other programmers who were just in it for the money so they never bother to learn better ways.

One programmer did a linear search of department accounts instead of having arrays that would allow direct access for each department. This had to be done for every single employee payroll that needed to be processed. We figured that made the program 50 times slower that if it have been written properly, but since the mainframe it was running on still did the job in less than a day management never asked questions. Idiots!

Another program turned out to be using a Bubble Sort! Of-course with less than a thousand items to process in the testing it ran fast. But for some reason no-one in management would listen to me (I was on loan at the time from the college I was doing my final year) that in the future as the company expanded the system would get slower and slower! IE. Slowdown = 1/X^2 ... That can really make your system crawl.

And let's not forget the lawyers who told us they want all their active case files on computer (about 500 different clients) but forgot to mention that they were going to add all the last TWO HUNDRED (200) years of cases (yes you read that number of years right) also on the system that was never made at the time to handle more that 16383 case files. Of-course the system only failed after they entered all that data and they never backed up the data in text form that could be transferred to a different legal information system. All the work was lost!

The fact is there are programs out there that should never be on a computer.
    Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 12-17-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I suspect it's both. I got an email back from the IT guy today saying that they're working on it. I doubt it's a top priority, though.

Our VPN is only on a 10Mbps line. I don't know how they expect us to get any work done.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
      X