This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Customer service fades to black in 'The Invisible Consumer'"

This column appeared in today's (Jan. 11, 2011) Washington Post.

Customer service fades to black in 'The Invisible Consumer' by John Kelly.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

I...am confuzzled.

Comment

And Dave had a reminder: Customers aren't the only ones with complaints. "We have gripes also but have no outlets to release the tension from encounters with some customers who are abusive and threatening. Again, this is a few as the majority are a pleasure to serve."
      Yes they do, here!

But - I don't get the "push your items towards you" thing the author seems stuck on. Is he annoyed that a cashier didn't push his item a few inches in his direction?
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        Yes they do, here!
        I think they mean a place that will actually invoke some changes in their work environment without it costing them their jobs.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Out of the nine comments made on the article, two suggest that you should be nice to the cashier. The other seven blame corporate apathy and hiring for low pay.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            The other seven blame corporate apathy and hiring for low pay.
            I can see corporate apathy as an issue but low pay is just a BS excuse. What, do people expect to be hired off the street making six figures? Sure we'd all love that but without some serious connections, family connections, or one heck of a college education, it isn't going to happen and you have to start off somewhere.

Most starting out jobs (grocery store, department store, fast food) start out at minimum wage (some less like wait staff). When I was a bagger the government was boosting up minimum wage every year and that guaranteed me a raise (the company gave out very few raises) yet I was still nice to the customers (have a good day, thank you for stopping by, offer to help with the bags).

Granted, you shouldn't expect 5 star service from minimum wage staff but they should still do the basics - be nice, do their job, "thank you", etc..
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
            X