X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    ... Gravy is brown ...
    The gravy tint hint: How burnt is the roast beast?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Back in New Awwwwlinz, we had "red gravy" too -- a concoction somewhere in between marinara and pasta sauce, leaning towards the latter. Commonly served either with mozzarella sticks, or with baked macaroni & cheese (brown gravy is also commonly served with the latter).
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Aaaaaand much much more of the same (including about half from that post):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=merR7ujnCGo

Enjoy
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

How about Red Eye Gravy? Ham drippings with coffee for the liquid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_gravy

Quite a few different mixtures are referred to as "gravy" in various contexts:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravy#Types

I've thought that an American "biscuit" could reasonably be approximated as a "savory scone" (hey, autocorrect took the 'u' out of savory!), e.g., one without sugar.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
            I've thought that an American "biscuit" could reasonably be approximated as a "savory scone" (hey, autocorrect took the 'u' out of savory!), e.g., one without sugar.
            That would probably be pretty close.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Aaaaand just in case you thought that pic of the donut bacon cheeseburgers was fake...

Ladies and Gentlemen -- I give you The Luther (as in its purported creator and/or inspiration, Luther Vandross), and how to make it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnXu22HZBNQ

Comment

He called this "Sh*t on a shingle".
                Old Army term for chipped beef on toast, as EricKei mentions. My dad used to talk about that too
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hmmm, hadn't looked at this thread until tonight. Just remember, America and England are two countries separated by a common language.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  For the uninitiated, CFS is basically Weiner Schnitzel with cream gravy. Done properly, it's wonderfully tasty.
                  No matter what its called, everyone has it, right? Just like Swedish meatballs (https://youtu.be/bVLkxSSvegc?t=7s). ••embedding problems thanks to my script blocker••

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  A mid-Altantic specialty in the US is scrapple.
                  Scrapple, yum, too bad I can't get it here

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Yer on a roll, Seanette :wink:

KG: In the US, the terms "flapjack" and "pancake" are used pretty much interchangeably, tho the latter is far more common. I think I've even heard them referred to as "griddle cakes," on occasion.
                  Yep, that's another term, though IIRC, technically they're not the same thing, though very, very similar.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  Once when I was little I asked for a pop and the waiter said, "it's called soda." This was at a restaurant in California.
                  Do that to me, and I'll damn well walk out, I don't care what you call it, ifn you can understand what I'm asking for, then there's no damn reason to go and correct me.

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  I prefer spinach over lettuce when I get a sub at Subway. It's not applied as heavily, still provides fiber and it tastes better.
                  Me three... or four or whatever I am at this point.

As to the meat vs vegetarian thing I and my MLP OC both like greens flavored with meat, or in other words, my salad must include meat. Yes, it can be more salad than meat, the meat can be limited to bacon bits, but there _has_ to be meat in there.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                    Hmmm, hadn't looked at this thread until tonight. Just remember, America and England are two countries separated by a common language.
                    Very, very true!

Just like Swedish meatballs (https://youtu.be/bVLkxSSvegc?t=7s). ••embedding problems thanks to my script blocker••
                    That actually had me ...So wonderful ^__^
                    No worries. It might be the site blocking the embedding, though I'm not 100% sure; we'd rather just have links to videos, anyway
                    the meat can be limited to bacon bits, but there _has_ to be meat in there.
                    Well, *fake* bacon bits don't contain any meat, AFAIK ...but there's nothing quite like the real thing.

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Very, very true!

That actually had me ...So wonderful ^__^
                      No worries. It might be the site blocking the embedding, though I'm not 100% sure; we'd rather just have links to videos, anyway
                      Glad you like that B5 clip, that's always been one of my favorite things from the show.

Nope, definitely the script blocker, using it has been an eye opener as I have to authorize every script and every plug in. Ads, comments, YouTube and so on, its insane how much garbage is on some sites. In this case, right now pushing the link button up there doesn't do a darn thing, so something I need is still turned off. Of course I rarely share links, so I haven't tried to get it working.
                      Seph
                      Taur10
                      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

• From the Simpsons:

Mrs.Skinner:Seymour,my fanny is red raw....

Brits may get your ready. This does NOT mean the same as in America...
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Even worse: That belt-with-a-bag-built-in item that was bit in the 90s. In the US, we call it a "fanny pack". And some keep their money in it.

That image is likely enough to make the Brits vomit...
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                          X