This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a terrible prank to pull.

Some ADULTS in a neighborhood decided to see what kind of person a 13 year old girl was by making up a fake myspace persona, played with her heart, then started saying she was a terrible person that the world would be better without her. Then started posting bullitions about /aspects/ of her life.

The girl commited suiciide.

The other adults that did it claim they were only protecting their own children.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/...ternet_suicide
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Guilty? Execution. No appeal.
    Kids go to foster homes.
    Make sure the adults know they've screwed up their kids' lives permanently before they go on death row, because they deserve that shame and pain every day for the rest of their lives.
    All assets of all parents involved divided up between their children, minus a considerable restitution sum given to the dead child's parents.
    New federal laws prohibiting deliberately provoking suicide by any means (internet or otherwise) put in place and strictly enforced.

Sound strong? Tell that to the girl who killed herself because of what the adults involved did to her. Or to her parents who've just lost a child and are now divorcing.

Mental issues or not, screwing around with a kid online and then provoking her to kill herself is completely unforgivable. "Protecting" one's children from the possibly-mean things that one of their classmates may be saying is one thing, causing that classmate to kill herself thereby ruining the lives of her friends and family? That's something else.

The only problem is that there really isn't any law yet about provoking suicide online, or creating false identities/profiles on sites like MySpace. These parents are either very smart or very lucky.

I suppose the only thing they could be pinned for is libel, as their online bulletins indicating that the girl is "a slut" or "fat" are obviously malicious and untrue. Nail them for that, and shut them up in the big house for a time, while the new anti-suicide-provoking laws get insituted. I wonder where "provoked the suicide of a 13-year-old girl via a false name on the internet" is in the prison hierarchy... I imagine somewhere below "murdered a 13-year-old girl" and above "chatted up underage kids, then got caught by To Catch a Predator".
    "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Megan's parents had been storing a foosball table for the family that created the MySpace character. Six weeks after Megan's death, they learned the other family had created the profile and responded by destroying the foosball table, dumping it on the neighbors' driveway and encouraging them to move away.
      Once again...sometimes two wrongs do make a right.

I'd call the parents who created the profile animals, but that would be a grievous insult to animals. I sure hope they're happy with what they've caused--a girl is now dead and her parents are divorcing.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The main reason the people responsible haven't been charged with anything is because when the ambulance was called to Megan's house, the Mother saw it, as she lived just down the street. She knew something was up, and immediately deleted "Josh Evan's" profile. All communication he had done with Megan's profile was deleted as well. So the police have no evidence of postings, comments, or private messages that were made to the girl. At least that's what I've read.
        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Oh.....my......god.....

Then again, I guess it's believable. Adults do pose as children all the time so that they can molest them, so why not do it to get even with a kid?

Sick fucks!! I hope they burn in hell and are the humiliation of the town! I hope they can't go to the grocery store without having their tires slashed.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
            The main reason the people responsible haven't been charged with anything is because when the ambulance was called to Megan's house, the Mother saw it, as she lived just down the street. She knew something was up, and immediately deleted "Josh Evan's" profile. All communication he had done with Megan's profile was deleted as well. So the police have no evidence of postings, comments, or private messages that were made to the girl. At least that's what I've read.
            When she deleted "his" profile, she admitted guilt.

Comment

And people wonder why I have no faith in humanity.

Dumping the pieces of the foosball table on the driveway was a step in the right direction. They forgot to set their house on fire though. Rotten, horrible, awful, disgusting bastards. Here's hoping they get a taste of vigilante justice.
              "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

They're flat-out cold-blooded murderers, plain and simple. No, they didnt pull the trigger, but the fact is that she would NOT be dead today IF they didnt do what they did. I cant understand why they wouldn't be charged. Hell, if two robbers rob a store and the owner shoots one dead, the other faces a murder charge. Same principle. Isnt harassment and internet stalking a crime too??? Or does it only matter when the state feels like enforcing it?

Comment

On the Internet, I don't think anything disappears without a trace. I'm sure that profile can be retrieved with a bit of cyber-sleuthing.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Agreed. It's in there. Somewhere in the dark recesses of MySpace stored data and registries, it's in there.
                    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Just a friendly FYI (and not to take away from the discussion on this board), but I did post this at Fratching!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        On the Internet, I don't think anything disappears without a trace. I'm sure that profile can be retrieved with a bit of cyber-sleuthing.
                        Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                        Agreed. It's in there. Somewhere in the dark recesses of MySpace stored data and registries, it's in there.
                        Problem is, few law-enforcement agencies are up to date on computer usage. I highly doubt your average detective knows how to retrieve deleted data. The police departments really should start recruiting amongst the cyber-geeks.

I agree, those adults who drove that girl to kill herself should be arrested and tried. The laws also need to be brought up-to-date to include everything possible on the internet.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Whenever I hear of something like this, I give a silent prayer of thanks that I am NOT a kid in today's world. I wouldn't last two seconds.

As someone who was consistently bullied from grade school to pretty much the time I graduated high school, and as a result have lifelong issues, I just have no words.

Other than that those responsible for this poor girl's death should fucking fry, of course.
                          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I saw this on CNN the other night, aparently the parents who set up the fake profile told the departed's parents to "get over it"

John Gotti got his start obtaining vengeance for his son whom his neighbor ran over, wouldn't it be tragic if there were a gas or carbon momoxide leak in their house???
                            "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

We have the equipment, we have the time, we have the desire......

Anyone wanna chip in a few bucks to fill up the CS bus?
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X