This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man thwarts car thieves....

...by buying a used car boot off ebay and attaching it wherever he parks.

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/25/gu...d-to-steal-it/

...says a quick search of his license plate number backed that up.
    i was going to express dismay that the network was looking this up, but apparently in Chicago as long as you have the plate, type, & last name... interesting.

but ... I can only wonder if eventually he'll come across a more enterprising thief who just lifts the front tires up or something...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      i was going to express dismay that the network was looking this up, but apparently in Chicago as long as you have the plate, type, & last name... interesting.

but ... I can only wonder if eventually he'll come across a more enterprising thief who just lifts the front tires up or something...
      I'm more concerned that a toe truck driver spots it, thinks it a city ordinance boot and takes it to the impound lot.

Of course by "concerned" I mean "find absolutely hilarious".
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        I'm more concerned that a toe truck driver spots it, thinks it a city ordinance boot and takes it to the impound lot.

Of course by "concerned" I mean "find absolutely hilarious".
        You can only impound a booted vehicle if

1. The city calls you and tells you to

2. Someone from the parking enforcement office is there to remove the boot prior to towing as a booted vehicle cannot be towed without doing considerable damage to the car, boot and pavement all the way back to the impound

At least that is how it is around here, I can't imagine Chicago acting any differently.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
          ...by buying a used car boot off ebay and attaching it wherever he parks.

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/25/gu...d-to-steal-it/
          Honestly, I don't think that's such a bad idea in a high-vehicle-theft town. It's like the Club taken to the next level. As long as the police don't have any problem with it, I don't see why he shouldn't do that. Heck, he may start a new trend! (And then the thieves will have to figure out how to remove the boots before they can steal the cars!)
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Great idea; I just wonder how many times he's had the cops called on him because he was spotted 'tampering with a boot!'
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
            X