This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data reovery

My old laptop AKA the paperweight has a lot of photos on it that I really would like. When we were using that laptop we had an external harddrive that we used to save files to, but it basically saved everything on both. Old laptop was dying - battery life was down to about 2.5 minutes the last time I had it on, but then the plug in for it also stopped supplying it with electricity. It never (other than power) had any issues with crashing, losing data, freezing or anything else.

So I tried opening the external harddrive on the new laptop but it is apparently not a recognized device on my current computer. And I can't get the old one to turn on, as the battery is completely dead. The local computer guys would charge me $75 to 'look at' either the laptop of the external harddrive (so $150 for both). He said if they can get it open they should be able to copy all the photos so I have them in about 5 minutes, so there won't be an extra charge, but if they are 'corrupted' it could be hundreds and hundreds of dollars to try and save anything.

Do you think there is a decent chance of a proper computer person getting the pictures off either? I really don't want to spend the money unless there is at least a 50/50 shot.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Very good chance. The most likely method will be to remove the hard drive from the laptop and install it in a USB enclosure. If you don't mind the old laptop getting trashed it might be as little as $50 total.

Comment

Do you have a friend whose computer has the same O/S as the dead laptop? The external drive might have a driver incompatibility issue with the O/S on your new computer.

Failing that, the external enclosure is the way to go - and you have 2 "shots" at it (the drive out of the external HD, and the drive out of the dead laptop). Not all laptops use the same drive connection method (some use ATA, others SATA), ditto for external drives (which are basically a normal drive in an external enclosure). Be sure to open it up and see what connection method is used before buying an enclosure.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

You could get a USB to hard drive adapter like this one.

Usually between $10-$15, and compatible with SATA and both laptop and desktop PATA drives. I have one myself, and it's been a lifesaver at times.

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
          Usually between $10-$15, and compatible with SATA and both laptop and desktop PATA drives. I have one myself, and it's been a lifesaver at times.
          I was about to suggest this too. These USB adapters have saved my and other people's behinds more than once.

Since the laptop is dead anyway, time to break out the screwdriver without any worries. The harddisk in it has most likely survived and you should be able to get all the data back once you connect it to the new laptop via the USB adapter. It's the same for the external hd.

Before you spend any money take the external hd to a friend or even an internet cafe and check, if you can get it to work there.

So yes, the chances are good to get your photos back.
          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
            IBefore you spend any money take the external hd to a friend or even an internet cafe and check, if you can get it to work there.
            That's why I asked if you had a friend who was using the same O/S as the dead laptop.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
            X