This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan noisy & repeatedly revving high

Laptop fan (HP Pavilion dv6 2140ca) keeps revving up and making loud noises - already tried the canned air route to clean it but I think it needs a more thorough cleaning (or possibly replacing.)

I've googled and You-tubed how to take it apart and put back together and I think learning how to build my own particle accelerator would be easier (and entail removing fewer screws!!!) There isn't much computer-wise that stumps me, but I think I've met my match.

Any suggestions/advice, or do I simply need to bite the bullet and try taking it apart, even though I'm terrified of making it worse or breaking it.
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

My advice would be to see if you've got a reasonably competent computer repair place local to you that works on laptops and if you can afford them, have them do the fan replacement and/or interior cleaning. This way you don't have to worry about you messing it up and if they do (knock on wood they don't), you at least have some recourse.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
      Laptop fan (HP Pavilion dv6 2140ca) keeps revving up and making loud noises - already tried the canned air route to clean it but I think it needs a more thorough cleaning (or possibly replacing.)

I've googled and You-tubed how to take it apart and put back together and I think learning how to build my own particle accelerator would be easier (and entail removing fewer screws!!!) There isn't much computer-wise that stumps me, but I think I've met my match.

Any suggestions/advice, or do I simply need to bite the bullet and try taking it apart, even though I'm terrified of making it worse or breaking it.
      Too bad you don't live near me. DH and/or I could probably handle that (I was looking at a possible dissection of my HP Envy to see why it was complaining about a non-functioning fan this evening).

If you can find good step-by-step instructions and are capable of following same, I think you'd probably be OK.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Loud noises from the fan, BTW, usually means that the bearings have gone in it, and it'll seize up completely eventually. Replacing the fan is typically enough to cure it.

Comment

Working...
        X