X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All The Overtime You Want....

.......on the week of a paid holiday!

So, some areas at the factory are on voluntary or mandatory overtime. The ones on voluntary have been a little more strict with how much can be done, so that it's fair and everyone who wants it gets a chance. And also because one or two losers in the past few weeks ended up doing like 40 hours of overtime (why oh why would you do that? After so many hours, it all just gets taxed and you don't see a difference!) and that really pissed off the higher-ups.

But this week, they will allow exceptions. You can do ALL the overtime that you want.

Guess why? Because this week, there is a paid holiday. MEANING.....that's right....you don't get paid overtime if you work 8 extra hours, because this week, you're getting 32 hours of straight pay, and 8 hours of paid holiday. So if you do ANY overtime, until you exceed 8 more hours, you're only getting more straight pay until you achieve 40 regular hours.

How many idiots are going to do 16-20 hours of overtime and then when they get their check for this pay period, are going to kick and scream because 8 of those hours were regular pay?

Hey, higher ups...we aren't all stupid here!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Actually - even with 40 hours of OT you do see a HUGE difference. When I opened a store and was the only tech I would work Mon-Sat 9:30am-8:00pm (10 hours + 30 minute lunch) - that's at least 20 hours of OT a week. My record was 64 hours of OT in one check (2 week checks).

As for OT in general - you are right, it's only if you WORK over 40 hours. I can take 40 hours of vacation time and work 40 hours and get no OT. But - it still is extra time. Personally I'd love to be able to work an extra day this week even if it only means 48 hours of straight pay. As for OT - extremely few people in my company have even experienced this in the past several years.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I understand you still see a difference, in fact, quite a big one during tax season, it's just that after a certain amount of overtime, you get bumped into another tax bracket and you don't come out as far ahead (for the time being) as you would if you were just doing 20 hours.

As of right now, it's mandatory again. They're going to see if forcing everyone to do x hours will do anything, and then it will go back to voluntary.

I should be doing some, I could definetly use the money, but I just hate how no matter when I do it.....it just doesn't work for me. I could go in early for a few hours...but I'd have to wake up early....I could stay late a few hours, but then I would have a hard time driving home......on the weekends....oh we won't even go there.....

I'll just do the minimum required for mandatory, and when it's voluntary again, I'll probably do 10-12 hours a week. I prefer voluntary overtime, because it doesn't make you feel forced to do it.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
      X