This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sattelite shenanigans

Earlier this year the cinema had a splendid new digital projector installed. This meant we could show 3D films and 'alternative content'.

The alternative content is generally the opera and ballet. This is generally pre-recorded but also will include live shows via sattelite.

Our first live show is next week. It is the play Phedre, starring Helen Mirren, broadcast from the National Theatre in London. Which incidentally is sold out throughout its run, and the box office there is advising people to see at cinemas.

So we have a sattelite dish for this. It is currently in bits, sitting under the back stairs of the cinema.

I am the one scheduled as projectionist for this show, so expect updates.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Oh man, wish I lived somewhere near you. The closest you get to culture here is at the health dept!
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

The dish has been installed. We have a signal test on Monday and Wednesday. The show is on Thursday. One of us may get some training this week.

Comment

S-Day = day of first live show.

Satellite dish was installed S minus 6.

Today (S minus 3) the engineers were in early to ensure that we were able to get a signal from the satellite to the digital projector. They couldn't initially. Eventually they managed to get the Gospel Channel onto the big screen.

I was trained. There was a signal test at 5pm, long after the engineers had departed. But I got it to work. In fact in the 15 minutes between transformers shows, I got it onto the big screen.

The downside is they have used the TV from the projection booth as a monitor.

Things look positive. Which is good because there is another live show (La Traviata) S+5.

Comment

S-day!

And everything went without a hitch. The GM said, "You are the satellite king."

To quote Han Solo, "Sometimes I amaze even myself."

Comment

Mel Brooks - It's good to be the king
            Ash - Hail to the king baby
            Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Second live show tonight. It was La Traviata, live from the Royal Opera House.

The floor staff let customers in the screen while the test signal was running prior to the show. It was a pain doing the lights manually for the intervals.

We had 180+ 'guests'. Today has been a very, very hot day. So it was sweltering in the screen, and they complained. The air conditioning was on max, so we could do no more. When I looked through the porthole during the second intermission, I could see water bottles in virtually evey cup holder. The kiosk must have done a roaring trade.

But the show went without a hitch.

Next show is not until October.

Comment

Working...
              X