This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day or a VERY Big target on my back

A while back I got a D-Day cause they said I had been late too many times. No amount of talking could make them understand that I don't have a car & so I take the bus to work. BUT the way I'm scheduled, it's too early for me to take the bus so I was forced to take a taxi to work. & around here, once you call a taxi, you have no idea how soon they'll show up. I've called taxis that have picked me me up within 10 minutes of calling for one. & many times they've shown up well over an hour after I've called for one!

No amount of explaining myself would make management understand my situation. They told me.."It's NOT our fault that you don't have a car"....OR..."Why don't you call a taxi earlier or the night before?" You know what? I shouldn't have to call a taxi the night before. That's no guarantee that by calling them the night before or several hours early is going to make them arrive on time.

AND taking a taxi costs some serious money! I would usually pay anywhere from $15 to $20. Once in a while that's no big deal BUT everyday?? Taking a bus costs $1.75 per ride OR for just $49 you can get a monthly pass. That's far cheaper than calling a taxi.

What's really pissed me off is that the two people I work with gets the schedules that they want that includes hours, days off & what'have-you. & when I tried to get my schedule changed so I can best use the bus system, I was told "They can't do it!"Why can they get what they want but I can't?? ONE word-FAVORITISM! That they REFUSE to work with me knowing that they've bent over backwards to accommodate my two co-workers doesn't make any sense to me.

The incident that made me stop the taxi madness happned two Sundays ago. I was scheduled to start at 7 in the morning so I called a taxi at 6. The taxi guy kept calling me cause he didn't know how to get where I was!! So after he called me for the 5th time I told him.."Look, if you don't know how to get to me then forget it!" Then I called another taxi company who told me that they didn't have any taxis available! That's when something inside me snapped & I had had enough. So I called off!

NOW when I'm scheduled to start at 6 in the morning I take the bus & get there at 7. Had enough of the crap. Nobody has mentioned anything to me yet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be fired but if it happens then I'll look for something else.

EVERYPLACE I ever worked at EXCEPT this one, I've never had any problem getting back & forth to work.

When I got the D-Day, I was told if I'm late again that I'll be fired. BUT that hasn't happened yet even though I have been late since then. I really don't know what they're waiting for. I just wish they'd get it over with.

You'd think that with me making an effort to be there would mean something to someone.
    Last edited by Bright_Star; 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM.

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
    No amount of talking could make them understand that I don't have a car & so I take the bus to work. BUT the way I'm scheduled, it's too early for me to take the bus so I was forced to take a taxi to work. & around here, once you call a taxi, you have no idea how soon they'll show up. I've called taxis that have picked me me up within 10 minutes of calling for one. & many times they've shown up well over an hour after I've called for one!

NOW when I'm scheduled to start at 6 in the morning I take the bus & get there at 7. Had enough of the crap. Nobody has mentioned anything to me yet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be fired but if it happens then I'll look for something else.

EVERYPLACE I ever worked at EXCEPT this one, I've never had any problem getting back & forth to work.

When I got the D-Day, I was told if I'm late again that I'll be fired. BUT that hasn't happened yet even though I have been late since then. I really don't know what they're waiting for. I just wish they'd get it over with.
    Presumably, at some point you had to state your availability. CHANGE YOUR AVAILABILITY so that you are only listed as available for time periods where you can get to/from work by bus.

If you list your availability as "open", are scheduled for a 6 AM start, and show up at 7, you're late for work. If you list your availability as 7 AM to (whenever), and the schedule comes out with a 6 AM start time, let your manager know that your availability starts at 7 AM, and he's scheduled you outside your availability - it's HIS problem that HE has to fix.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Presumably, at some point you had to state your availability. CHANGE YOUR AVAILABILITY so that you are only listed as available for time periods where you can get to/from work by bus.

If you list your availability as "open", are scheduled for a 6 AM start, and show up at 7, you're late for work. If you list your availability as 7 AM to (whenever), and the schedule comes out with a 6 AM start time, let your manager know that your availability starts at 7 AM, and he's scheduled you outside your availability - it's HIS problem that HE has to fix.

I did TRY to change my availability. It had been set up for me to start at 7 in the morning at the earliest but they were getting pissed off that I wasn't getting to work there EXACTLY at 7. I told them that the earliest bus I can take near where I live is at 6. Then it gets me to the transfer center at around 630. then there are two buses I can take. One is at 635 that goes near Sam's Club. It drops me off near a bridge that is about a mile or so from the store. Then I walk the rest of the way there & I get there either just before or just after 7. OR I can take the 645 bus which does get me to Sam's Club but not exactly at 7. Can be affected by weather, delays, traffic, breakdowns or what have you.
      So when I tried to tell them the way I just described it, they didn't want to listen to me. I even suggested that they move my schedule from 7 to 330 to 730 to 4. They tell me.."can't do it".

Then I was told if I didn't open up my avalability due to computer scheduling that I'd be screwed over on hours. So I changed it to start at 6 cause I felt forced to. I thought I'd try to arrange rides or something like that which never did pan out. So when I tried to change it back to 7 they him & haw & clear their throats & act all big & bad & tell me..."we can't do it". Sure they can. they just don't want to BUT like I said before, my 2 co-workers get what they want however way they want. Not fair at all.

So I've started looking for another job. I've had it with them.

Comment

You said you couldn't change the schedule, but could you change your availability? I'm not picking on you, just honestly asking the question. If you work where I think you do, the "computer" supposedly schedules according to availability. So change it. At this point, it is only a matter of time until they care enough to get around to firing you.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          You said you couldn't change the schedule, but could you change your availability? I'm not picking on you, just honestly asking the question. If you work where I think you do, the "computer" supposedly schedules according to availability. So change it. At this point, it is only a matter of time until they care enough to get around to firing you.
          Oh I know they're going to fire me. I don't know what they're waiting for.

Comment

Wow, I think I'd have walked already. especially with the 6 am start time. They can just bite me.

You need to put your foot down with these guys. Tell them they either change your availability or they will be forced to work at 6 am until they can find someone else to cover it. They will change their tune fast enough. Its not worth the headache.

Thats the problem with employers right now. They think they can get away with murder.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
              Wow, I think I'd have walked already. especially with the 6 am start time. They can just bite me.

You need to put your foot down with these guys. Tell them they either change your availability or they will be forced to work at 6 am until they can find someone else to cover it. They will change their tune fast enough. Its not worth the headache.

Thats the problem with employers right now. They think they can get away with murder.

One of the solutions to this problem that I proposed to them was this:
              There's 3 of us in my dept. One who likes the closing shift & the other who likes the opening shift. I suggested that if so & so like to close then let her, that if so & so likes to open then let her. Have me in the middle in a swing shift scheduled in a way that I can take the bus to work & get there in time to clock in on time AND have an ending time that I can take the bus home. Also, when the girl who opens is off then have the closing girl, open. I'd close then. I'd still be able to get to work on time & be able to to get done in time so I could still take the bus to the train station & thern take the train home. Simple. BUT guess what they said? "Nope, can't do it"

EVERYONE I mentioned this to said it makes perfect sense EXCEPT management!!

They're messing with me now. Pisses me off.

Comment

Management doesn't like to give people want they want. My boss simply refuses to give me the schedule I want. I hate working weekends with a passion. One of the coworkers wants to work weekends because she's in school during the weekdays. My boss knows this but says "it wouldn't be fair". Wtf?

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                  Management doesn't like to give people want they want. My boss simply refuses to give me the schedule I want. I hate working weekends with a passion. One of the coworkers wants to work weekends because she's in school during the weekdays. My boss knows this but says "it wouldn't be fair". Wtf?
                  Management refuses to give me what I want but they give my 2 co-workers what they want. You tell me, how is that being fair? I don't get it.

Comment

This really sucks for you. You may technically be in the wrong for not arriving to work on time, but their refusal to work around your schedule, even by a damn half hour to an hour, that to me shows they are purposely trying to make things impossible for you.

I get what you guys are talking about, though. Sometimes I swear things are done just the way the boss wants, even if it's not fair and makes no sense, just because they like to show their big shoes around.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                    X