X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unwanted popup from Computer Support Hotline

So this window pops up on all websites:

Computer Support Hotline

We have noticed your Internet browser loaded www.customerssuck.com 33.08 seconds longer than the average. Have you been experiencing slow internet and broken websites? You may have unwanted adware. Call our toll-free number to get friendly support and make your internet fast again.
    Get Trusted Technical Support Experts For:

Malacious Program Removal
    Virus Removal
    Internet Speed Boosting

Call 1-855-970-2100

I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it. There is no way to make it disappear. I tried a suggestion I found online (using the free Spybot Search and Destroy) program. I downloaded the program, ran it, and restarted the computer. The window is still there, blocking my view.

What do I do?

I would have suggested Spybot as well -- remember to update it and run the Immunize utility, as well (only applies to IE and Firefox, not Chrome). Malwarebytes is an excellent one, as well. If you get something that is exceedingly persistent, you can try something like a antivirus/antispyware boot CD that boots into an alternate OS in order to scan (read: usually a form of Linux). One I've used in the past was UBCD for Windows -- note that it requires your actual Windows XP(?) installer disc in order to compile/be set up. Also, if on FF/Chrome, look at your Extensions and Add-Ons and remove anything you don't recall putting on there.

PS Gotta love how they can't even spell "malicious" correctly >_>

It's a browser hijacker, and possibly a rootkit. I found manual removal info here, but use with caution:

http://blog.mitechmate.com/remove-co...dware-removal/
    Last edited by EricKei; 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Looks to be fairly new. The mitechmate site was all I found as well, but their instructions appear sound and are fairly straightforward. If another run-through w/ Spybot (don't forget to check for updates) doesn't do the trick, go through that sites step-by-step. The actual instructions start at Please carefully read the notes before you start to remove any file

If you read through and aren't comfortable, or are unsure about a step, check back in here.

If you are using Win 7 and below, we can poke around with HiJackThis if the above don't work.

Don't forget to backup your registry before any regedits!

Comment

You might want to post this problem over at bleepingcomputer.com.

You might have picked up some malware. and malware is getting scarier these days. Now there is not the usual screen "THIS FBI pay us to get your computer back" which was farily easy to deal with BUT now there is the Crypto-lock malware. This POS encrypts ALL of your files with an RSA 2048 bit key and you must pay anywhere between $300 and $2000 to get your files back via BitCoin

I have read enough around that SpyBot S&D is not what it used to be ( I refuse to upgrade to V2).

Have you tried the latest Malwarebytes????
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Try malware bytes.

Also try seeing if any new extensions are in your browsers list that you don't recognise.

And go to control panel and add/remove programs, sort the list by most recent first and see if anything there is not something you've installed. If you aren't sure google the program name to see if its malware.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

So far, so good.

I followed the advice here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/webcake-virus-removal/

Before I found the site, though, I downloaded and ran Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes. When I found the site (after the first two didn't solve the problem), I downloaded and ran AdwCleaner.

Still no luck.

I also discovered that running AdwCleaner would cause the computer to close all programs and reboot. This happened twice.

Then I downloaded and ran JRT. Success! No popup!

I highly recommend that everyone here check the add-ons for Firefox. That's how it happened to me. The virus is called Webcake, and it sucks the big one.

Comment

Well, everyone, guess what?

Yep. It's back. I'm now running that last program mentioned on the site given above. This had just better work.

Comment

One other thing you can do that stops a lot of virus programs:

Open a run window and type "msconfig" without the quotes

Go to the Startup tab and uncheck anything you don't recognize, looks like gibberish, or is blank.

Tell it OK, and let the PC reboot.

This can stop a lot of the more unsophisticated stuff from running on start up, giving you a chance to clean it without a reload happening. Note, you should also be doing your scans in Safe Mode, if it hasn't been mentioned.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

This. Is driving me. Upthefuckingwall.

I thought I'd rid myself of the little motherfucker, but it's popping up on ALL pages, even AFTER countless reboots and downloads of even more anti-malware software. What the hell can I do now?

Comment

It's probably buried in the registry somewhere/is a rootkit that just keeps reinstalling itself. At work, we had 2 or 3 comps infected with some "browser helper" from Conduit. It must have had over a dozen registry entries snuck into the darndest places. Miss even ONE and the thing just re-downloads itself & reinstalls

Google UBCD For Windows (if you have an XP install disc handy), or use a boot disc for Linux or what have you -- either way, you may need to have a CD/flash-drive installed AV/Malwayrebytes/spybot to do the actual scanning if said boot disc does not allow internet connectivity

Consider doign a system restore to maybe a couple weeks back - tho this will also nuke legit programs installed at that time. If nothing else, works you may have to consider the nuclear option -- format C and reinstall windows from scratch x.x Last resort, of course.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 05-12-2014, 07:46 PM.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When I have a computer problem that I can't resolve myself, I go here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup

There is a list of steps you're supposed to take when you ask for help, so make sure you follow the instructions. One of the designated helpers will tell you what to do next. They're very helpful, and they'll keep working with you until the problem is resolved.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

If it is a rootkit try running MBAR -- MBAM Anti-Rootkit program.

Also clean out your temp files
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but I'd look into LavaSoft's AdAware. Also, if you're using FireFox, they have an "Ad Blocker" plugin that might help.

I'd also do some sort of virus scan.
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I've downloaded and run half a dozen or so programs. Today, when I started up the computer, I searched for any suspicious-looking programs. I found that an Ask toolbar had installed last month. I don't remember installing it, and I don't want it, so I uninstalled it, and then I reset Firefox.

No popup. All seems clear.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                              I've downloaded and run half a dozen or so programs.
                              If you'd like, I'd be happy to look at a HiJackThis log report for you. You can reply here or take it to PM. Fingers crossed for you in any case.

Comment

Working...
                              X