Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your library have an HR department? I would make a paper/email trail by emailing HR and ccing J. Ask them to clarify what you've been told by J about pay for hours worked and scheduling. Ask to know WHEN you will be reimbursed for the hours you've already worked and continue to work.

Also read up on your state's labor laws. For example, my state doesn't allow comp time and forcing/encouraging an employee to take comp time is a no no. Making HR aware that you know your rights is important.

Lastly, document document document. I mean any conversation or action regarding hours, scheduling, paychecks, time worked, etc. Lack of documentation will come back to haunt you, especially when you're later told they have no record of you working so many hours. Do you have punch cards? Take a cell phone photo of each shift's punch card to show when/how long you worked.

It's not wrong to insist on proper compensation. You didn't apply for a job that paid you for only half the hours you worked. It also doesn't matter how nice the job is or the people you work with. Your employer is taking advantage and that makes them pretty shitty.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth AriGriffin View Post
      They pay by the month. It goes from the 1st to the last day of the month. J said they are paying me for working 17 hours this month, or $123.25.
      I have already worked 31 hours this month, including the three that G 'owes' me. If I work the rest of my scheduled shifts, I will work a total of 37 hours ($268.25) during the month of May- I started on the 3rd and have worked every Tuesday through Friday since.
      J said they are going to pay me for 17 hours ($123.25) for the month of June. The only problem with that is I should be working 36 hours that month as they want me to work from 4 to 6 PM Tuesday through Friday.
      Wait, what? Am I mis-reading this, or are you saying that you're working 36 hours and they're paying you for 17?!
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Talk to someone in HR or since it is city, go to city hall! What they are doing is illegal! If they only pay you for 17 hours but you work more hours than that then you are averaging less than minimum wage and that is a federal mandate! You must be paid for all work you do!! If you work more than 40 hours in a week then you must be paid for overtime, they cannot swap out to get out of overtime, the only exception is if you are salary. If you are on salary then they can make you work whatever but you still can't go below minimum wage.

Comment

I don't think there is a HR for the library. It is a small, town library. J handles everything for the library from ordering books to figuring out the pay. There are no cards or anything else to record an employee's time in and out. I could go to the town hall and talk to them, but (judging based on past experiences of dealing with them), they wouldn't do anything.

I'm going to try talking with J about it on Tuesday and I'll take a list of the hours I worked and what I should be paid.

Comment

I've been in HR I see the following possible scenarios:

1. someone doesn't want a shorted check so they're forcing an hour swap on you.
            2. someone doesn't want to go trough the hassle of reworking two ready to submit
            hourly sheets.

either way is a forced hour swap.

So no..you're not working for free. You're just not reaping any rewards or benefits for stepping to the plate and covering for a co-worker.
            Last edited by Josh; 05-27-2011, 02:58 AM.
            “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
            ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

You work 37 hours for 17 hours of pay and the boss/HR person is ok with this? PLEASE go to the labor board. You're making $3.33 an hour BEFORE taxes. I'm really sad you're being so abused.

Comment

You might want to print off the labor law for NC before you meet with J. Notice how each week is treated individually and it says they have to pay you for all hours worked? Also take note of the comp time paragraphs. If I understand this correctly, some government (public) employers can give time-and-a-half comp time to special nonexempt employees when they work over 40 hours in a week. That doesn't apply to you, which means comp time is a no no.

Linkie: http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20sheets/overtimepay.htm

J sounds like a manipulative jerk. Stay calm, be reasonable, yet be firm. Don't let them take advantage, they're messing with your livelihood.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

You may want to consider charging a small amount fgor the books. People are funny, but they may be much happier to pay a amall amout for something.

If they pay 10c, then they are getting a bargain.
                  If it is free, then it is worthless, so they don't want it.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I'm in NC also, and if you haven't gotten rid of those books yet, I'll take them! PM me so we can work it out. I'm an avid reader and will read just about anything!

Comment

Working...
                    X