This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand the physics

The snow was heavy, but the hill wasn't very steep. Roads were, of course, treacherous, and my 20-mile drive from out of town had encountered a few vehicles off the road at various levels of disrepair. A good storm can really separate those who know how to drive in snow from those who don't. This woman...did not.

She was helplessly spinning the wheels of her front-wheel-drive sedan as fast as she dared, but instead of straightening out the steering wheel, she had it heeled all the way over to the left. Then, as I watched, she heeled it all the way over to the right. And then she heeled it all the way over to the left again.

The cars behind us, none of them any better equipped for snow than she was, pulled out and around her (and me, stuck directly behind her in my little Nissan) without any difficulty in exactly the same road conditions, while she spun and spun and spun. I wanted to shout out the window, "STRAIGHTEN YOUR WHEELS, LADY!"

My guess is that she didn't have the slightest clue how to drive in snow; she'd tried to compensate for a tiny little fishtail by whipping the wheel all the way to the right, at which point the rear would slide a little bit and she'd wildly overcompensate by whipping the wheel all the way to the left, at which point the rear would slide a little bit the other way and she'd whip the wheel all the way to the right again. The upshot of this plan was progress that could be measured by inches on a fairly straight road that every other car was navigating with the ease and comfort of a snowmobile.

A bit later, I saw one of those people who doesn't realize that four-wheel-drive doesn't mean four-wheel-stop when he responded to a fishtail by heeling the wheel all the way in the opposite direction and gunning the gas, nearly propelling his car into the oncoming lane.

My roommate has sung my inclement-weather driving praises before, but my assumption is that he must be riding in a different car, because when I lose control, all I remember afterwards is "AAAAAAAAAAAA!" I actually shouted "All hands, brace for impact!" as I narrowly missed a guardrail on an icy blind turn a few years ago. I know that the cars I saw in the ditch on the way home could just as easily have been mine but for luck. But I also know that when you press the little slanty pedal on the right, the car is generally supposed to yield forward progress.

I was able to pull out and around her before oncoming traffic came along, and my roommate managed to catch a glimpse of the woman, hunched over the steering wheel as if traveling a hundred miles an hour, face fixed in a grimace, possibly bewildered as to why all her acceleration wasn't overcoming momentum. Given the traffic flowing effortlessly around her, I would imagine it was kind of frustrating.

A wheel that's spinning has less traction than one which isn't. When you combine this fact with the assumption by people who don't know how to drive in snow that if you want to go you push down on the "loud pedal", and if it's not going as fast as you want you push harder, and you get situations like the woman you described (or the fishtailing Camaro I passed on a hill some years back).

If you want to go in snow, you need to be VERY careful with the "loud pedal" so that you don't generate enough torque at the wheels to break traction.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It snows a couple of times a year here. I've always been smug and proud of myself for being able to deal in my little econobox car whilst driving past 4 wheel drive vehicles in ditches.

Broke my lifetime record a couple of months ago. I was getting on the freeway, the road was icy and covered with snow. All was good until the car in front of me started spinning out.

I hit my brakes. At about 40 mph on a curve. Ended up in the medium pointing in the wrong direction. I was fine, car was fine, didn't even spill my coffee.

I sure felt like a bonehead, though. Even a non-experience snow driver should know to never touch the breaks when something like that is happening.

Comment

An old roommie of mine spent many years trying to be a professional ski bum. (He failed at that; wound up becoming a software engineer instead.) He drove so well in the snow that you couldn't even tell it was snow, sometimes.

I recall multiple occasions where he had dialed in a correction with the steering wheel and was already taking it back out again before I even noticed that the truck was sliding. He would even point to a car ahead of us and say, "Watch--he's going to spin now." And the car would spin. He would have already backed off and started gradually slowing down...

It's amazing what a couple of decades experience will let you do!!
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I'm sure I've recounted before the time I was following someone attempting to make a downhill turn, but they had their front wheels on the opposite lock to that required, and kept ramming the brakes on as soon as they started moving... It was as comedic as it was disturbing.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Nunavnt Pants

That is also one of the benefits of being a pizza delivery driver (11 years of continuous service) in the more northern climates such as northern Cheeseheadland. The US Postal Service has NOTHING on us (they have a waaaayyyyy better Union with better safety rules and terms )

BUT it still puzzles me that people WHO WERE born hereand lived their whole lives here seem to, immediately after winter is over, forget how to drive. It seem to take 2 snows for that knowledge to return. until then it is HIT THE GASSSSSSSSSS and brakes until something breaks.

AND it seems to be the same thing with rain.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The forgetting to drive isn't limited to your area, RM. Here in the Hawkeye land, people do the same. We had a blizzard last week--full on white-out conditions at o'dark in the morning and all--and people thought it wise to go out in it. End result? Some 37 cars in the ditches within close proximity of each other one one stretch of a local two-lane highway. Yep. People are that intelligent around her. Me? I stayed home until it was at least light out, and starting to calm down some! ETA: It truly does amaze me to watch people who, upon driving in snow or ice, immediately seem to have a brain spasm and hit the gas or brakes. We get this stuff every year. It can't be that hard to remember!
              Last edited by BrenDAnn; 02-12-2016, 08:57 AM.
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                It snows a couple of times a year here. I've always been smug and proud of myself for being able to deal in my little econobox car whilst driving past 4 wheel drive vehicles in ditches.
                Fun times

During the 2010 blizzard here, when the city got 2 feet of snow and didn't bother doing a damn thing about it, I got to see quite a few 4x4s and other "capable" vehicles getting stuck. Most of the time, it was simply because they tried to power their way up hills or around corners and lost it.

For example, Beechwood Boulevard in the Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh usually isn't too bad. The lower section, while twisty, is wide enough that you can easily recover if you start to slide. The upper section, again twisty, is narrower. Still, it's flat enough to go off the road, you'd have to be doing something stupid.

That "something stupid" being trying to spin rubber at the traffic light at Commercial Avenue. It took a good 20 minutes of sitting before I could see what the problem was. Several idiots in SUVs, and one in a Cadillac sedan...managed to get stuck. They'd all tried to power their way up the little hill near the school...and got stuck. How? All that spinning of tires had turned the snow to ice. The first one got stuck, then another, and another. What's that saying about insanity?

They weren't too amused when it was my turn to attempt the hill. Rather than deal with lots of wheelspin in 1st, I put the car into 2nd, gradually gave it some gas, and somehow not only maintained my momentum...but was able to steer around all of those idiots.

It still took about 3 hours to get home due to traffic and accidents, but I didn't get stuck. Not even on the "big hill" I have to climb to get to my street. That was a mess, but I made it. Granted, I had to zigzag up the hill, but I didn't get stuck or have to turn around.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'd love to see those idiots try to drive the car I suffered with for several years... the 2WD with bald summer tires. Fortunately the main arteries were never iced up but the smaller side streets? Sheee-it. I'd manage it by hitting the brakes a ridiculous distance from the stop sign. And then talking to the car. "Stop... stop.... stooooop... damnit!" *feels it starting to slide, eases up on the break* "Stop... much better... stop..."

Thankfully no one ever ran out in front of me. If they had they would've been roadkill.

Comment

Working...
                  X