Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Target Mobile Kiosk creating more trouble than it's worth... (a bit long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target Mobile Kiosk creating more trouble than it's worth... (a bit long)

(I'M SORRY IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG SECTION, MODS).

BG: I am an AT&T cell phone customer and also work at the Target store near my house. My old phone had been bothering me and dying lately, so two weeks ago I went to the Target Mobile kiosk at my store to get my two-year phone upgrade, since their prices are far more competitive than the AT&T store.

I finally decided on the Samsung Impression, a phone with a touch-screen keyboard and a full pull-out keyboard. The model is almost two years old, but is a MUCH (imo) better phone than the ones that have come out more recently. But herein lies the problem: since it is an older phone, it is also harder to get.

So after waiting almost two hours at the kiosk, they finally managed to locate a store with one and brought it over so I could buy it. I paid the guy and he opened the box and slipped my SIM card into the old phone. As I left the store, though, I took the SIM out and put it in my old phone for the time being, since all my contacts were on the old phone.

Well fast-forward two weeks. After countless long papers and final exams, the hectic quarter is over and I finally get around to taking out the new phone and begin using it. But LO AND BEHOLD, when I go to enter my contacts, I notice that there are already over TWO HUNDRED contacts on the phone. All of them have nearby area codes, but none of the phone numbers look familiar.

I go back to the store and tell them the problem. They assure me that there is no way the phone could have been opened before and used, since it was already sealed (nevermind the fact that the "seal" was just a sticker on the box). They tell me there is nothing they can do, since there are no more of that model available in the district. I don't make a big deal out of it (since I work there) and just go to another Target to do the 30-day even exchange FOR THE SAME MODEL. But the guy there assures me that exchanges can only be done for DIFFERENT models, not for the same one. The moron also went ahead and called the Target I bought it from, even though I told the guy NOT to do that, since I work there and don't want to create any awkwardness there. HURR DURR DURR.

I mean, it really isn't a big deal to begin with. The phone looks brand new and works fine. Honestly, what probably happened was that they took the phone out to show to another customer and put his/her SIM card in, which transferred the contacts. It's more the principle of it. I paid the price for what was promised to be UNTOUCHED and UNOPENED, and they refuse to fix the problem.

I ended up calling the corporate customer service, and the lady on the phone laughed when I told her what happened. She told me that since the phone was obviously not new, they are bound to exchange it for the same model if I wished. She is calling the district manager and having him call me later today.

Also, I called another Target that is a bit further away (25 miles) to check if they have the phone. They exactly 1 left in stock, and the sales associate told me that I can come in and do an even exchange whenever I want.

Honestly, this has been way more trouble than was necessary for a simple problem. Hopefully the district manager that calls me won't be too much of a douche.

(SORRY FOR THE ESSAY. JUST HAD TO VENT )

yeesh. that sux.
    i hope the new phone turns out to be new - instead of used.

and i don't think you're being unreasonable at all.
    you bought the phone with the understanding that it was completely new - and received an item that was used.

good luck!

Comment

Okay yay well that sorta turned out okay. Drove the 20ish miles to another Target that had the phone I wanted. Unfortunately, they took 1.5 hours to do the exchange since they were not trained how.

Honestly, this experience has taught me that the few bucks I save at the Target Mobile kiosk is not worth losing the experience and service at a full-on AT&T store (not sure about Verizon and T-Mobile tho, never had them).

Comment

Working...
      X