This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    Perhaps a bird or hamster in a cage might not be quite as bad (though still not ideal), a little puppy or kitten is high maintenance.
    Can't speak for the hamster, but birds can be just as much or more high maintenance than puppies or kittens. Passeriforms (like finches or doves) are a little less so since generally they don't come out of the cage, but members of the parrot family* need contact with their human "flocks." Cage-bound parrots are often aggressive, neurotic, and prone to feather plucking and disease. Many of the larger birds have the intelligence of a small human child, and when neglected can require psychological counseling to recover. Seriously. Even small birds like parakeets and cockatiels need attention and mental stimulation. So many people buy small birds thinking they're "easy" pets. 'Tiels are especially prone to this treatment as a "beginner" bird for people who want larger birds later on.

People also don't realize how long birds live. Parakeets generally about 10 years or so, cockatiels 15-20 with some well cared for 'tiels living into their early 30's. Larger birds you can expect at least 30 years. Other things people don't consider are diet and vet care. Traditional all-seed diets are VERY bad for birds since seeds are high in fat and low in nutrition. The birdy vet is also much more expensive than doggy/kitty vet. Aviary medicine is a specialty and birds are not as popular compared to dogs and cats. A couple years ago, I spent $500 between two vets within a couple months to figure out why my 'tiel's feathers were growing in weird. Routine visits usally run about $100 for the exam and gram stains. In comparison, I spent $150 for both of my dogs' annual exam and shots.

Not to mention a good cage will cost you several hundred dollars and most bird toys are meant to eventually be destroyed.

*Parrot family includes parakeets, cockatiels, conures, lovebirds, cockatoos, amazons, African Greys, Macaws, etc.
    Last edited by jedimaster91; 12-14-2010, 04:35 PM.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
      ...giving an animal for a present is one the worst things a parent can do; not only is it stressful for the animal (new enviornment, high activity, too many people), there things that the animal can get a hold of that can threaten its life (ornaments, especially garlands and tinsel, chocolate, poultry bones, etc)...
      I quite agree. Incidentally, if you're intending to get a pet & want to go to a rescue centre rather than a breeder or pet shop, it's often a good idea to ring them around Christmas & find out when their 'after Christmas rush' is likely to be. There will be more animals to choose from & they're usually younger animals, too, if that's your preference. The centre staff will be glad to make room for more new arrivals.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
        L: Well, it's the parents mainly. We get a lot of them buying their children animals for Christmas. So with the animals, they also want to buy things like cages, toys, feeding bowls, beds, hutches, everything.
        Me: Well, that sounds OK.
        L: Yes, it's great for business, however, they all expect me to deliver all of this, animal included to their house on Christmas Eve.
        Me: Oh no.
        L: And that's not all! It must be late enough in the evening so that their kids have gone to bed! That way their little angels will think Santa delivered their animals while they were sleeping.

Of course, I'd be glad to do so. The animal and equip charges are nonrefundable. Also there is a non-refundable delivery fee, payable in advance of $750.00 Cash only. And if you wish me to come after 10 pm, There is a non-refundable late hour fee of $250 per hour or portion thereof after 10 pm, again payable in cash only in advance.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
          Can't speak for the hamster, but birds can be just as much or more high maintenance than puppies or kittens. <snip>
          I agree totally here. I've had two parakeets, two love birds, my mom and grandma have both had cockatiels, and mom currently has a small cockatoo. Everything you said was so right on. If you're not ready for them to be members of the family as much as any mammal, then you're not ready for a bird. Expect them to want kisses, petting, and cuddles. They'll eat off of your plate, get into everything, chew the corners of your books, and unlike a cat or a dog, they might learn to talk back. It's like having a puppy crossed with a small child plus feathers.
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Oh man... my parents bought me a dog for Christmas last year, but
            A) She lived in the house for a month to settle in. When I came home I just assumed my parents had a new dog, because they were talking about getting one. I learned she was mine on Christmas day, when I was given a dog tag with my address on it in my stocking

B) I helped pick her out when I was helping my parents look for "their" dog- it was love at first sight with me and my pup

C) I'm 20, have a job, and understand what it takes to be a pet owner. She's a rescue dog with a history of abuse, so I've invested in a lifetime's worth of training from a countrywide home dog training company (I go to school out of state, and plan on going to grad school in another state, so the ability to move is important lol) to help me out with any issues that pop up. I invest a lot of time in making her life as pleasant as possible, and that includes training so that she can feel safe in her home, knowing that not every man who walks through the door will beat her. We have also learned that bikes are not as scary as they look, the vet is her friend (I have an AWESOME vet She has us come in during non-appointment times, where basically the entire clinic fusses over her and gives her treats.... I have never seen a dog so excited to go to the vet, even if the last time she went she had her shots haha), and that playing with other dogs at the dogpark is a ton of fun.

Bella even trains me... we go for tons of walks together and I get a lot more exercise now that I have her in my life She also gave me a spine and the courage to tell my old roommates "I quit" and get my own apartment because they weren't respecting my dog (scared the bejeezus out of her by taking out their frustration by yelling at her when I wasn't home, lived with the both of us for the better part of a year and out of nowhere told me I had to send her back to AZ with my parents, like yesterday, said "It's us or the dog" and were super offended when I chose her... yeah, they were some great "friends" Crazy jerkwads )

I think I was trying to make a point before I went off on that side rant... oh yeah! Pets are usually poor choices for gifts, unless you are sure that it will be taken care of and that the recipient is ready for the responsibility. Some days it's all face licks and wiggly bodies, and the next your pup has a funky stomach when you're in class and decides that your bed is the best place to throw up. You have to be prepared for both.
            It's also totally unreasonable to expect someone else to play santa for you. It's nice if they offer, but really?! Don't get upset if they say no- she has a life outside of work too, SC.
            Last edited by Bookkeeper; 12-15-2010, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Quoth Bookkeeper View Post
              ... said "It's us or the dog" and were super offended when I chose her... yeah, they were some great "friends" Crazy jerkwads )
              Here's your sign song: Four Legs Good Two Legs Bad
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Hahaha that was excellent My song indeed

Comment

Quoth Bookkeeper View Post
                  Bella ...also gave me a spine and the courage to tell my old roommates "I quit" and get my own apartment because they weren't respecting my dog (scared the bejeezus out of her by taking out their frustration by yelling at her when I wasn't home, lived with the both of us for the better part of a year and out of nowhere told me I had to send her back to AZ with my parents, like yesterday, said "It's us or the dog" and were super offended when I chose her...
                  People who lay down ultimatums like that will not stop forcing you to make Hobson's Choices until they have made you their doormat. And of course, you'll miss your true friend terribly. You definitely made the right choice.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My aunt and uncle have always had big dogs (rottweillers, sheep dogs, labradors etc) and when the last one died about 6 years ago, my aunt was adamant she didn't want any more dogs because it meant they could have a nice sofa that wasn't chewed to pieces.
                    So what did my uncle get her for Xmas? a black labrador puppy! My aunt was besotted and there was no way she wasn't going to keep it and look after it. When they went on holiday 9 months later, they put the bitch into the kennel for just over a week. A few months after that, the bitch was really fat and acting funny. The day they were about to take her to the vet, she pops out her own little puppy.
                    So now, my aunt (who was never going to have dogs again, ever, honest) has 2 black labradors eating the sofa as happy as can be.

I know it may not have been the wisest gift from my uncle, but he knew what he was doing and he does his fair share of looking after the animals. Pets should never be given as presents unless the giver knows the recipient will be responsible.

A friend was given a kitten by a (now ex) boyfriend, and her mum is the one that pays for the food, the vet, cleans out the cat litter and organises kennels when they go away

Comment

With the parrot thing, an amateur keeping cockatoos is such a big no-no. Sure they're gorgeous things, but at the drop of a hat they will start being very noisy and plucking all their feathers out!! I kept budgies when I was young, didn't do too good a job - the second died in my hands (she was a bit sick anyway) and I suspect now that the third ended up egg-bound. The first, my green cock Bobbie, was pretty good and lived for years, but I'm sad to say I was a bit rough with him. I always wanted to keep bigger parrots when I was older, but I don't now because I suspect I won't be too good with a plum-headed parakeet (love!! 8D) or a macaw.

Now me and my housemate have been discussing getting a couple of cats from a shelter when our financial situation gets better. She's kept cats before, and I've been reading up on how to keep them.
                      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                        *rant*

giving an animal for a present is one the worst things a parent can do; not only is it stressful for the animal (new enviornment, high activity, too many people), there things that the animal can get a hold of that can threaten its life (ornaments, especially garlands and tinsel, chocolate, poultry bones, etc.).

giving a pet is fine, just make sure that it's been discussed and is an actual want, rather than a spur of the moment decision. giving the pet after christmas is a better choice; the excitement has died down and the animal will be able to adapt better. too many pets end up in shelters because mom and dad didn't think their decision through.
                        *end rant*
                        expecting a home delivery of said creature and all the accessories? someone thinks they have a mighty bank balance and a high sense of personal worth.
                        You know, that reminded me of a book I had as a child... A boy had wanted a cat for a while, so when his birthday came, he unwrapped his presents... A litter box, a scratching post, a litter scoop... The supplies for a cat, but no cat! After the party, they took him to the shelter to pick out his new furever friend, and he picked one that looked like it had seen people pass it over for tiny kittens over and over(Think an older kitten). It was sweet, really

Call me silly, but when my cats all eventually pass on from age... I kinda hope I find a kitten in a box(full of holes for air!) under the tree. I love having cats around, and the two years I couldn't have a cat after moving out here were saddening for me... So I kinda adopted the feral and stray cats living on the block Lo and behold two of my cats now are the grandkittens of one of those ferals and a stray... Do kinda want a rabbit, though, but not with our dogs around. Especially since one's 3/4 lab...
                        Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth incognitocook View Post
                          <snip>If you're not ready for them to be members of the family as much as any mammal, then you're not ready for a bird. Expect them to want kisses, petting, and cuddles. They'll eat off of your plate, get into everything, chew the corners of your books, and unlike a cat or a dog, they might learn to talk back. It's like having a puppy crossed with a small child plus feathers.
                          You are so right about that.

I had a roommate years ago who was very irresponsible with pets.

First she took in a rescue kitten from a lady she knew who ran a cat rescue. The kitten had been found abandoned with a rubber band around its neck, that had dug in like embedded collars in a dog. We got her after she'd healed up, and she was a sweet cat. But Jen got bored with cleaning the litter box and feeding her and the cat took off.

Then Jen wanted a bird, and got a little grey cockatiel. I hated that damn thing. Jen let it fly all over the house day and night, and it pooped every where and chewed up the remote to my brand new TV. One day Jen went out to get the mail, and the bird flew off (she hadn't bothered to take the bird to get its wings clipped), and we never saw it again. I was so happy. (Needless to say, I am not a bird person and will never get one).

Shortly thereafter, I found the cat and brought it back home, and started taking care of her. She stayed.

THEN, she wants a puppy. Now the lease was in my name, so she had to ask my permission to have pets. I was skeptical. I pointed out she hadn't take care of her two previous pets, but she assured me she'd do better with a puppy (house break it, train it, etc). Finally, I gave in.

So, she gets a puppy from the shelter: cute little mini-something mix. But turns out she has such a bad case of kennel cough, she has to be in the doggy hospital for a week. I have to give Jen credit: she didn't simply put the pup down. She paid the bill, and the pup came home healthy.

Guess who housebroke and trained her?

If you guessed me, then you are a winner!

Jen's BF had a fit when I got fed up and took over the job myself after SEVERAL weeks of puppy poop everywhere (except on the paper we put down). I would catch the puppy in the act, rub her nose in it, tell her NO!, and then take her outside. BF seemed to think that was cruel. Well, I had the pup housebroken in a week, and she NEVER messed in the house again.

I taught her all kinds of tricks, too. She loved playing fetch with sticks. I could throw one in the back yard, tell her, "wait", and she'd wait. One time I made her wait 20 minutes, then said, "Go get it." She bounded off and brought back the exact stick I'd thrown (from among all the other sticks in the yard), to her reward of lots of love and affection, and "Good girl!"

I loved that dog. When I moved out I wanted to take both the cat and the dog. Jen insisted I take the cat (as if I would leave her behind), but refused on the dog.

When I dropped by a few months later to visit, I saw they'd gotten a new dog: a big one. Brie did not look happy, and whined when I left.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My first cat was a rescue cat, he was about a year or so old and named "Floyd". I had him for a couple months when he keeled over. Apparently his heart was too small and was a ticking time bomb. My current cat is named Zappa, he is also a resuce cat and was about a year old when I got him. I've had him for 9 years now and he's great.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              I guess you can say the store owner has found a new PET peeve.
                              ... *reads the rest of the thread* Not the way everyone else is acting... nice try though...
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X