X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But I am late for me final!!"

First some background information pertaining to this post:
    According to the parking office & the university police chief, when Visitor parking is reserved for events, no students are allowed to park.

My co-worker told me about this particular incident which happened last Thursday, which was the 2nd day of finals at the university we both work at as Visitor parking attendants. Visitor parking was reserved that day for an event during her shift. This particular incident involved a student she dealt with before when Visitor parking was reserved for an event during her shift several weeks ago. This is what happened the last time she dealt with this particular student.

co-worker: "Hi, how may I help you?"
    student: "Hi, can I park?"
    co-worker: "I'm sorry, but Visitor parking is closed for an event. I cannot let you park."
    student: "But I am a student & I have a class to attend!!"
    co-worker: "I'm sorry, but I cannot help you. The garage is closed for an event. I cannot let you park."
    student: repeats herself
    co-worker: repeats herself

Several minutes later "Nancy", who works in the parking office, calls my co-worker & tells her to let that student park in the garage. The student returns to the Visitor parking booth, & my co-worker lets her into the garage.

For last Thursday's event:
    The same student arrives to park. Here is what happened.

co-worker: "Hi, how can I help you?"
    student: "Can I park?"
    co-worker: "I'm sorry, but the garage is closed for an event. I cannot let you park."
    student: "But I am a student, & I am late for my final!!"
    co-worker: "Well... you can call the parking office like you did the last time. If they tell me to let you park, then I will. I do not mind if you do that. I just have to get their permission."
    student: "But I do not have their phone number!! Do you have their phone number?!!"
    co-worker: "No, I do not."

The student leaves, but she returns several minutes later. Here is what happened.

student: "I have been driving around for several minutes, & I cannot find a parking spot!! I park here all the time!!"
    co-worker: "I understand that, but you are not the only student who does that. Other students do that, & I cannot let them park in the garage today."
    student: "Can you give me the phone number for the parking office?!!"
    co-worker: "No, I cannot."

The student leaves, but she returns several minutes later. Here is what happened.

student: "I still cannot find a parking spot, & I am late for my final!!"
    co-worker: "I'm sorry, I understand that, but I still cannot let you park. I can only go by what the parking office tells me, & they told me not to let anyone park in the garage."
    student: "Can you call the parking office?!!"

So my co-worker does this. "Nancy" answers the phone. Good, she was the one who told the student she could park in the garage the last time Visitor parking was reserved for an event during the second shift. My co-worker tells her why she is calling. "Nancy" asks her for her name. My co-worker gets that information from the student, & she has "Nancy" speak to her. The student told "Nancy" the same thing she told my co-worker. "Nancy" tells her she can park in the faculty/staff garage.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 12-11-2010, 10:18 PM.

I think it's weird that special events attendees get to hog all the parking. Students still need to get to class after all.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I think it's weird that special events attendees get to hog all the parking. Students still need to get to class after all.

Yeah, but the school already has their money.

Comment

How are they allowed in college if they do that sort of stuff?

Comment

This is what makes me glad that my school is technically out in the country. All of the parking is for students (with a parking permit, which is free and you get a form when you become a student). The only reserved parking spots are for staff and they are in a blocked off lot that has a system that you need a specific key card for and the visibly marked visitor spots. If a car with either my school's or the other school's parking permit are parked in a visitor spot, they are towed immediately, no questions asked. Otherwise it's a battle for the closest spot to your building, which usually means if you don't get there before 8am, you're stuck either out in BFE or in the grass lot.
          Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

Girl should be glad she doesn't go to my school. My school is in the middle of a bunch of hospitals, so the options are
            1) Pay at least $3/hour and park in walking distance
            2) Pay $1/hour and park so far away you need to take a bus
            3) Take the bus from home/a park and ride

And, seriously? I'm early for every exam I have to take. Not a lot, but at least a few minutes early, in case I miss the bus or it's late.

Comment

The University of California campus that I go to.....don't even get me started.

For students, it is 500 DOLLARS A QUARTER. If you go Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters, that amounts to 1500 DOLLARS A YEAR just for parking. Fucking admins....

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Up until this semester, we had one huge parking lot commuters could park in. When they opened the new sports center, they...closed that lot for the event. 10 hours, all afternoon and evening, on a weekday class afternoon. There was a HUGE shitstorm from the commuters, because there wasn't enough parking lots we were allowed to park in for the number of commuters as it was.

Funny, this semester commuters can suddenly park in lots that were formerly visitors only.
                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                X