X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But who would do that?!

Hi, new member here.

A little sighting of my own from a few days ago - in a small electronics store that also does repairs.

Me:
    SC: Seriously Clueless
    PIT: Poor IT guy

SC is at the single desk, talking to PIT about her newly fixed laptop, and I am pulled beside her to pick up a laptop of my own - cue clerk diving into the back to locate it and me having a few minutes to listen to the conversation next to me.

SC: "But I don't understand, why did you delete my anti-vira..?"

PIT: "Ma'am, the program you had installed was a malware program designed to download virus ONTO your computer, rather than prevent it."

SC: "But it said it was an antivirus program!"

PIT: "... yes, ma'am, it did, but it was lying."

SC: "But we paid for it!"

PIT: "I'm sorry, ma'am, but you were tricked out of your money. The program was never an antivirus."

(((start loop)))

SC: "But I PAID FOR IT!!!!! "

PIT: "... I understand that, ma'am, but the program you purchased wasn't an antivirus, but a fake version."

SC: "But why would they sell me a fake version?! I paid for a real version!"

PIT: "... Ma'am, you were on a scamming website and downloaded antivrius.exe instead of antivirus.exe. The names are similar for the purpose of fooling people into paying for a false product."

SC: "But why would anyone do that?!"

PIT: "To trick people into buying the fake product instead of the real antivirus. I have installed a trial version of [antivirus program] onto your computer; it gives you a link to buy the proper version, though you can continue with the trial for a month if you so desire."

SC: "But antivirus is fake!"

PIT: "... No, ma'am, the program you purchased and downloaded on your own was fake - this one is real, and will remove virusses from your computer instead of downloading them."

(((end loop)))

- and on and on like the most wacky merry-go-round I've ever seen that conversation continued. After I'd gotten my laptop back, paid for, and left the store, poor, poor PIT was still trying to make the SC understand that some people would create fake programs to cheat others out of money.

I still wonder what kind of tantrum she'd throw at the bank when her credit card is bled dry by some obscure people in China.

-
    Last edited by Dave1982; 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM.

That really really hurts, even more so when I get flash backs of having a similar discussion with my own Mom. Granted it wasn't as bad as that but now anytime updates come up for anything on the computer she freaks out, yells for me to help her then stands over my shoulder and reminds me of what happened the last time she clicked on something and how much it cost her to get that crap taken off the computer. *sigh*
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I probably would have tried to stoop it down to a level she could understand. "Ma'am, you know how people make knock offs of designer clothes to scam money off of people? You just bought a knock off designer antivirus but this one took your money AND gave you a virus! But now we have the real thing in place and this is how to buy it..."
      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Just wait 'til she gets an email promising her a share of 50 million dollars from a Nigerian prince!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
          I probably would have tried to stoop it down to a level she could understand. "Ma'am, you know how people make knock offs of designer clothes to scam money off of people? You just bought a knock off designer antivirus but this one took your money AND gave you a virus! But now we have the real thing in place and this is how to buy it..."
          That's where I would have gone after it was obvious she didn't get the tech-based explanation.

Some people are so afraid of technology that they won't even try to learn about it and just remain clueless.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"But who would take my money only to sell me a fake product?"
            "Ever hear of 'con artists'?"

Or, in other words, "I want what she's smoking!"
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

This isn't even a misunderstanding of technology, it's more like a total cluelessness about human nature. Who would do that, she asks....? Several million online scammers, to start with...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah..I gave up on trying to explain this to people. Might as well have been talking to a wall.

M - Me
                C - Clueless person

M - Ah I see the problem, you downloaded this anti-virus..the one that popped up and swore up and down you had viruses and offered a 'free' cleaning.
                C - Yeah so?
                M - Let me guess...it scanned, said it found several hundred or thousand..would 'clean' a couple of hundred 'free', but to get the rest off would cost?
                C - Yeah..so what?

then trying to explain that the only 'virus' it cleaned was the part where it swore up and down you were infected. That's it. Did nothing else but keep that from popping up. Also they are hard as heck to get rid of also
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                X