This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're updating the system NOW?

Not sure wtf my college IT department was thinking. I just know that an update for the computers went out... and it was causing issues with the computers.

The computers were trying to install the update (Adobe I think), which forced a restart. Except the computers also have Deep Freeze which means, upon restart the system resets to the planned configuation. Which means the update is erased

So, about 30 minutes later it downloads the update which causes the computer to restart...

That alone is flipping annoying.
    However... it's final exam week. My final today was on the computer.

We're just lucky the computer system saves your answers. And I think the teacher opened the test up to allow for "retakes". Otherwise we'd be screwed.

Yes they did pull the update, but not until everyone had to suffer a restart or two.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 12-16-2010, 08:59 PM.

Hmmm... is it reasonable to assume that sensible update practice would involve 1) making sure nobody is using the computer(s) in question at the time and 2) turning off anything that would interfere?
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

It depends on the updates in question, and the environment in question. It's possible that the update is to close a security hole that is actively being exploited on the network, in which case the job of IT would be to a) test to make sure it works and doesn't break things, then b) deploy it immediately after testing is complete if the exploit is dangerous enough (if at all possible, regardless of time of day).

However, they failed on A. Had they done their testing properly, then people would not have been affected (or as affected) as they were.

I'd defend them if I could, but I can't. They fucked up.

Comment

Our IT does such upgrades when campus is closed so as to avoid that very problem.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

When I worked at the Victoria's Secret Catalog call center, the bunch back in Columbus would routinely upload updates for our site in the middle of the day. Which slowed the system to less that a crawl, which made for not happy Fashion Consultants and customers. Somebody here finally called Columbus as "asked" (spelled "told") them to do it in the middle of the night when the call volume was almost non-existent.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            ... the bunch back in Columbus ...
            Which is why you called it Colonbumblus, right?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X