• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am rather insulted

1. A college education in business.
    2. 13 years in my industry
    a. 12 years working front desk
    b. 2.5 years as an Assistant General Manager of a hotel (including of the management of 7-8 staff below me)
    c. Housekeeping and Laundry experience
    d. F&B experience
    e. Revenue Management experience
    f. 4 pms migrations
    e. Hotel Inventory tracking and ordering
    g. Online Inventory Management
    h. OTA contract assistance
    i. Reservations Management experience
    j. Online review responses on such sites as Trip Adivsor
    k. Not Sales Manager, but Sales Assistant experience including group contracts, BEO's, and more.

And the only job offer I have been given in the last six months is for a $10 an hour Front Desk Agent position that I didn't even apply for with the proviso "I can groom you for a Front Desk Supervisor" that may or may not happen "several months from now"?

What in the hell? Every single refusal comes with "The other person had more experience". This last one, I had gone for an AGM position and was refused (after the position came down to me and the other guy. Yes, I know it was a man and this is the south) "because the other applicant had more experience with running staff and replying to Trip Advisor".

For the record, I turned him down. I'm infinitely qualified for Supervisor, and it's rather a slap in the face that I was considered for Supervisor anyway, but it's a blatant insult that "hey you can come work front desk and maybe some day several months down the road you can have the supervisor job". I DESERVE more money, and I DESERVE to not have my shifts changing hours every goddamn day. I DESERVE working Monday to Friday 8 or 9 am to 5, 6, or 7 pm unless a staff member calls off so I have to cover a shift.

I'm so sick to death of being treated like dirt.
    Last edited by Moirae; 10-20-2015, 04:51 PM.

I don't think it's just you. The market really favors employers right now, so they feel they can low-ball or have the luxury to hand select whomever they want. The refusal is just a generic way to let you down. Keep at it and good luck!!!

Comment

Yea, that's exactly the same line I've gotten every time I've not gotten a job I applied for. I think it's just some sort of code. Sort of like "Hey, we need something to tell this person so they'll go away, but that isn't legally actionable." It's not just you.

Employer's market as it were and looking like it's going to be that way for the foreseeable future. And employers are looking to pay as little as possible.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

This is not speaking to the OP's specific industry, but there was a time in my industry that the wages being offered were higher for certain skilled positions. We interviewed a number of people who either were asking for a starting wage equal or greater than our long-time experienced employees, or the applicant mentioned how they had to "settle" for interviewing for a lower-waged position (like ours), because no one was hiring for the wage they wanted.

It's tough and scary, and I wish the OP the best. I can't imagine it's easy job hunting in any industry right now.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Reminds me of that line " I didn't get rich writing a bunch of checks"
          I work for people that throw nickels around like manhole covers, so I understand your position fairly well.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
            I don't think it's just you. The market really favors employers right now, so they feel they can low-ball or have the luxury to hand select whomever they want.
            Or leave the position open(thus saving money) because "no one meets their unreasonable demands" it's become known as "Purple squirreling" and it's aggravating staffing agencies just as much as applicants.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

My background is in hotels, I was an AGM at one point until I got laid off when the economy tanked. I am now in a different field entirely because the job market sucks. That said I never expected or thought that I deserved a M-F 9-5 job while working for a business that never closes.

Comment

Oh its never 9-5 as a manager. I was just angry because I felt like I was slapped in the face. Still do, but I'm not angry anymore.

Comment

I know the feeling. I have given up on the whole industry. Mostly because of the economy, etc. but also largely because of the entitled monsters that sites like TripAdvisor have helped create.

Comment

alogram, I'm even trying outside the industry as an administrative assistant but can't get a call back from anyone.

Comment

I seriously hope it turns around for you. I know how much it sucks. I was unemployed for 13 months and applied for all kinds of things. Then I had some horrible jobs and more unemployment, etc. it is so frustrating!!

Comment

I once got passed over for a project manager position for someone who had not been there as long and was not as qualified. Why? Because I was the better field tech. One of the other project manager's blackballed me because he wanted me in the field doing his jobs, especially the weekend ones which otherwise HE would have to cover if I'd gotten the promotion.

Got a lot of vague promises but no raise or bonus, I left soon afterwards (this place had a LOT of problems)...

Comment

Sounds like you had a bunch of morons in management. They pass you over for a project management position because you're too good as a field tech? You're bound to find out what happened. They make vague promises but nothing concrete (as in a raise or bonus to make it worth your while to stay as a field tech - especially since you get the off-hours calls)? They lose you as a field tech.

Better to lose a good field tech to a management position than to lose them to another company.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Scrooge was a moron, pulling crap like this all the time. He was the type to pinch a nickle trying to get six pennies to appear. And the bottom line was profit here and now, not long-term growth or stability. His shortsightedness cost him a great deal as people left in anger and frustration while he lost customers over trivial things and trying to squeeze an extra dime out of them all the time...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                              He was the type to pinch a nickle trying to get six pennies to appear. And the bottom line was profit here and now, not long-term growth or stability.
                              Sadly, that is the predominant business model today. Get all the monies now, now now, and to hell with tomorrow. Who cares if the business goes under in a year or a hundred people lose their jobs, as long as the head honcho gets rich.

And businesses that follow this model fail, time and time again. But nobody learns. They're getting what they want now, why should they? And the ugly cycle continues.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X