X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
    Don't tell me he's still there....
    Sorry guys, I forgot to check back for replies! As far as I know, he's still there. I'm still friends with a few former co-workers and I'm sure I would hear if his position changed (because they would be elated). The situation still baffles my mind.
    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

In my company, this is half the people who get manager or supervisor jobs; the other half are ass kissers.

IMO< this hiring from outside is done for the following reasons:

1. these people can be paid less
      2. they will implement any idea or policy the suits come up with, not knowing that it won't work or that it was tried before and didn't work, and
      3. they are less likely to have those annoying "people skills" and dreaded "compassion and sympathy" that would prevent them from wringing the most possible out of their subordinates.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
        As far as I know, he's still there.
        I asked you not to tell me that.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It just seems like a new guy can never as much xp as the veteran. Worked at wendys for fifty years? This is burger king. its not the same. Besides, if u werent good enough there, maybe theres a good reason to NOT promote you.

Whatever happened to when the best guy was the boss? The best burger flipper should be in charge of the burger flippers, right?

Comment

Not involving new people being promoted, but this thread did get me thinking about something that happened when a new position was added to my work area a few years back....

The powers that be gave us only 12 hours for the news position, and in order to bump that up to 16, an hour was taken from each of the existing positions. My understanding had been that I was the only one NOT affected by this, but apparently I was.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              The result was that the new guy with no experience was making more money than his co-workers who'd been there a few years.
              When I started working at Random Craft Store I had been making less then $7.50 an hour, people who were hired months and years after me were making up to a $1.25 more then I was. Course they also were getting the bulk of the raise money each store was allotted every year but that's a rant for another thread.

By the time I quit I was barely making the same amount I had made after my first TWO raises at the Warehouse, and I walked in off the streets making nearly two dollars more! Hell even before I quit Random Craft Store I was making nearly a dollar more at the Warehouse!

At least the raises at the Warehouse aren't less then .05. >.<
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth deysongrey View Post

Whatever happened to when the best guy was the boss? The best burger flipper should be in charge of the burger flippers, right?
                Not necessarily; it takes more than just being the best burger-flipper to be manager over the burger-flippers.

I've seen quite a few people get promoted to supervisor or manager positions because they were "the best" at their position, and then fail in those positions. You have to think more about the entire restaurant and all the people doing all the different jobs, not just about the burger-flippers, and a lot of people can't do that well.

It doesn't mean somebody hired from outside is automatically a better choice, but it gets that way when you see a couple people promoted from within fail as managers or supervisors, and don't have time to help develop the leadership skills of the people on your team.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Where I work has this thing where they bring in people for top positions when we have great talent already in house that is ready to be promoted. It makes me so mad. I don't want someone new to crap all over our morale! I want someone who is one of us!

Comment

Working...
                  X