This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of the Training Videos

Someone mentioned training videos on the Sucky Customers forum, so I wanted to provide you with some of the best quotes from those cheesy videos almost all major retailers force their employees to watch. These are all around 2000 vintage (back in the good old VHS days), back when I worked at CVS.

From the Watch out for Shoplifters Video

Narrator: "Shoplifters are often solo, but they can also come in teams, with one person distracting the employee while another grabs an item, as seen here."

Distractor: "Hey, you! What's with the signage in this store? You need to really improve your signage! I can't find anything in here!"

[Employee turns around to find another person taking merchandise]

Employee: "Hey! What are you doing with that?!"

[Team flees]

Narrator: "Remember, it is important to never make any physical contact with the person, or give chase. Leave that to security and the police."

Not mentioned: When the authorities are powerless to do anything, and corporate will blame you for the inventory discrepancy during the next audit. Also, seriously, what is with that ridiculous attempt at distraction? Who the hell says SIGNAGE in everyday usage?!

From the Employee Ethics Video

Narrator: "As an employee, it might be tempting to steal from a CVS. After all, we have some of the greatest selection of health and beauty products."

I've heard of tooting one's own horn, but this is ridiculous.

Narrator: "If you are caught stealing, it doesn't matter how inexpensive the item was, it is an automatic firing. And, if you are a minor, we will call your parents."

Ooooh, well, if getting fired wasn't enough, then surely calling my mommy and daddy will certainly make me think twice.

From the Sexual Harassment Video

Narrator: "Sexual harassment isn't always about excessive flirting or advances. It is any inappropriate or sexist behavior or discussion. Consider this conversation."

Female Worker: "Excuse me, can you hand me a sponge to clean this countertop?"

Creepy Male Worker: (produces a box of maxi pads) "Here. It says on the box they are super absorbent" (wink)

You'd have to see the creep factor to really experience it. Up to this point I was able to contain my laughter, but this really did it for me. The absurdity of the conversation followed by the look of fake shock on the actress's face was too much. I have to wonder how the Z-list actors were able to do this with a straight face... even after 20 takes.

What were some training video disasters you've had to watch?
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

This is one from a safety video I actually enjoyed:

So if you see any of the hallmarks of a meth lab, don't touch anything, leave the room, secure the door, and call management or your hotel's safety officer right away. And remember, these chemicals aren't just toxic....they're explosive (whereupon the presenter flicks open a Bic-style lighter and grins manically, there's a bad special effects explosion -- bad on purpose -- and the camera pans so we see the audience with wide eyes and looking like chimney sweeps with messy hair).
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 09-26-2015, 03:20 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I've had to watch 100s of videos, at least that what it feels like. Of the top of my head, the most absurd ones were:

VID

Fashionable Woman: *struts stuff up to the front desk*

Helpful Narrator: It's a good idea to compliment the customers to make them feel welcome. This lady has on a nice dress. See her dress? Compliment her dress.

Worker: That's a nice dress ma'am you are very pretty.

FW: Oh why thank you *tosses hair*

IRL

Woman: *struts stuff with baby up to the front desk*

Baby: goo goo gaga

Me: Oh your baby is cute!

Woman: Thank you she's mine!...*nervous smile like I wanted to steal her baby or something*

Me: ....

VID

HN: Sometimes when the housekeeping or maintenance forget to service the customers, it's your job as the front desk to offer the customer something else in order to keep them happy.

Frustrated woman: Excuse me, but the housekeepers forgot to clean my room! I just got back from work and I'm tired and I want to watch my favorite show!

Worker: I'm so sorry for that ma'am, please accept my apology! I will send someone right away to clean it, why don't you have a seat in the living room and watch your favorite show there! Plus there is free coffee please help yourself.

FW: THank you! *big cheesy grin*

IRL

FW: EXCUSE MEEEE MY ROOM IS DIRTYYYY !!!

Me: Oh so sorry the housekeepers must've not cleaned it, sorry

FW: I DON'T GIVE A #$@ CLEAN IT NOW I WANT IT CLEANED NOWWWW !!

Me: I'm sorry but there is no housekeeping at 3 am--

FW: WHATTT?!?! @*#$*#!!! THIS HOTEL IS SHIT EVERY @#*$@#*ING TIME @*#$*#!!!

Me: I will write a note but that's all I can do!

FW: YOU CLEAN IT!! MY KID PUKED ALL OVER THIS MORNING

Me: I cannot--

FW: CLEAN MY S***!!!

Me: I cant!!!

FW: Plus my toilet's broken and YOU WILL FIX IT NOWWWWW

Me: *headdesk*

Yeah. Bad for auditors who don't have 24 hour housekeeping/maintenance. Grr. Also notice how in the vid that customer never intterupts?

Vid

HN: If the customer wants to know about different attractions in the area, please point them to the concierge. He will be glad to help them find exactly what they're looking for!

Customer: Excuse me, my wife and I would like to watch a play tonight.

Worker: Of course sir! *calls for concierge*

Concierge: Hello! I hear that you are looking to watch a play! Great! There this one showing at 7 in the Theater, and there's another a few miles down in a different city!

Customer: Excelllent!!!! I'll have the first one.

Concierge: Very good sir, excellent choice! I've seen that one and it is very good!!!

C&C: *friends for liiiife*lalala

IRL

Customer: I would like to find a good fancy restaurant ....but that's cheap!!!

Me: Ok, let me look online.

Customer *drums fingers obnoxiously* What you don't know?!?!?!

Me: There's [Restaurant] pretty cheap

C: Full of crap food I bet!

Me: No not really...

C: It's always like that! There's no restaurant that's cheap and fancy!

Me: *Thinking then why askk???!*

Phone: *rings*

Me: Hold on let put this guy on hold *pick up phone* Hello, thank you for calling, can I put you--

C: Excuse me!!! your are dealing with MEEEE NOWWW

Me: I'm putting him on hold--

C: *grabs phone and slams it back in it's cradle*

Me:....

C: Now I want a bar!!! And I want close, like in the hotel close!!!

Yeah. No conceirge I don't know where they get that from. Corporate is dumb.
      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Yeah, I remember a long time ago we were forced to watch a clip of how we should be greeting all the customers. It was presented like it was real, not staged, but I didn't buy it for obvious reasons. First off, there was some mystical counter with no line kinda out on the sales floor. Second, no joke, there was an employee just standing there saying hi and asking if each person was signed up to get the mailers. And of course they all were so happy and were like "no I don't get the mailer, how can I sign up? Oh I'd love to hear about upcoming sales and also get coupons!" Yeah. Right.

I've been in a decent number of locations and never seen a counter like that, with an employee standing like a phone kiosk in the mall. We have a customer service register, but it's right next to the regular registers, and no one ever stands there while not ringing someone up.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My very first "real" job, in 1992 (I think) was at Wendy's. To this day, whenever anybody mentions training videos, I start singing "White, red and greeeeen!" in my head. It was the song they played in their sandwich making training video, complete with awesome 80's style laser light effects.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

When working at a nursing home we had a cheesy hand-washing training video.

I kid you not, it was played as a romantic comedy, with a mystery subplot.
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

OHHHH THE PAIN!!!!!!!! OHHHH THE PAIN

one of the worst/funniest for me was around the time the movie Top Gun came out back in the late 1980's. I was management for Burger King. They were trying to instill "good customer service skills" in their employees.

The "training" video was like 20 minutes long and it was an aircraft carrier themed story complete with planes being launched off the deck, planes going into battle, orders from flight operations, deck personal doing the hand signals, warning claxons with flashing red lights AND to top it all off the background music was Kenny Logins Danger Zone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

I managed to snag that tape (VHS) and kept it for many a year and I might still have it somewhere
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We had Good Manufacturing Practices (pharmaceuticals plant). They played some video and you had to list what was wrong. This was the early 90s. They showed a guy in an area that was supposed to be clean. The guy had his shirt open almost all the way. He was the hairiest guy I've ever seen. I think there were gold chains too. We all laughed.

Comment

hehe I have to giggle "training film" was a term we used for well, ah I can't post them here but 80% of the net deals with them. (wink-wink, nudge-nudge) you know what I mean..

I got you all beat with good old Navy safety film-
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I

"The Man From LOX" (aviation term for liquid oxygen)
                  They were still showing this gem when I joined in '90.
                  There's a small bit of graphic burn shown at the end.
                  Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 09-26-2015, 11:21 AM.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                    hehe I have to giggle "training film" was a term we used for well, ah I can't post them here but 80% of the net deals with them. (wink-wink, nudge-nudge) you know what I mean..
                    Did I just see a woman take off her bra to burn it, only to be stopped because that was "inefficient" and the man showed how to burn it with LOX?

Or am I hallucinating from sleep deprivation again?

Nope definitely hallucinating, the next part had a safety minded man getting a very attractive woman (who was the safety officer and she was "going to have his ass" in a sexually provocative way).

Well good night, I need to dream about that video.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                      My very first "real" job, in 1992 (I think) was at Wendy's. To this day, whenever anybody mentions training videos, I start singing "White, red and greeeeen!" in my head. It was the song they played in their sandwich making training video, complete with awesome 80's style laser light effects.
                      Aw, you beat me to it! I watched the same video in 1996 and it remains my favorite to this day. I remember the manager being so proud because it was "new" and "modern."

Follow this link for some Sick Beats!
                      Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Texas teachers have to watch a blood borne diseases video every year - that was outdate when I started teaching in 2001 - they are still showing the same video.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                          the next part had a safety minded man getting a very attractive woman (who was the safety officer and she was "going to have his ass" in a sexually provocative way).
                          Did you notice how the guy unhooked the trailer (presumably with LOX in it) from the tow vehicle WITHOUT first chocking the wheels to keep it from rolling?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The only training video I remember clearly, and I think it's been mentioned here before.....is that FISH! Philosophy one, with the guys who worked in a fish market. Much of the stuff the video talked about made sense, but it's also really hard to apply some of that to what my particular job category is at the library.

*For example, it's near-impossible to have a good attitude about parents who let their kids make a mess in the children's room, and don't clean up after them.

Comment

The most memorable training video I had to watch was about having fun in the workplace. Or something. It featured people at one of our stores doing such things as dancing the hokey-pokey with hand trucks.

All I got from it was "those people enjoy their jobs too much."

Now all our training is done on the computer and one of the courses hasn't been updated in close to 15 years because it was shot at the flagship store of the company and I can recognize a couple people in the course from having worked there.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X