This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help figuring out what to do

I have been overnight for several years, first working in the shoe department and then doing planograms.

Even though it has had its ups and downs I have generally been a lot happier since moving to the overnight shift because I didn't have to deal with customers very often. Occasionally I had to help them a little bit if they stayed late in the store while the overnight crew was coming in or during seasonal things like Black Friday, but for the most part I have been able to work without customers. This has improved my life tremendously because I was able to focus on just my work without the craziness of the public being involved, without being subjected to unwanted comments about my body, my hair, or falsely accused of racism or rudeness, etc. I even had customers try to grope me before and I don't think I could put up with that again.

I've only had to deal with my coworkers, which hasn't always been very pleasant, but at least they weren't customers.

Now my job might be shifting back to the day time. I am seriously thinking of quitting and trying to find another job because I don't want to go back to that ever. Customer interaction was traumatizing and draining for me. I hated it.

Can anybody recommend a good job type that pays around $10/hr that you don't need a lot of experience for where you don't have to constantly deal with the public? I only have retail experience but I do have an office assistant certificate and an administrative assistant certificate and an Associate in Science degree.

I am really good with working with objects (I could probably do something like data entry, or filling out forms, etc.) but not so much with people if it's more than a few at a time. I work better independently than in a group setting too.

Is there any job I could do?

Well, I'm a customer service rep for the phone company. It pays more than 10 dollars an hour and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty good... it does involve dealing with the public though. Not in person, which does help. You'd either love it or hate it.

Comment

I could probably do that but I have a lot of trouble understanding heavy accents. If everyone spoke in clearly enunciated English that would be an option for me. I wish I didn't have that drawback.

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
        I could probably do that but I have a lot of trouble understanding heavy accents. If everyone spoke in clearly enunciated English that would be an option for me. I wish I didn't have that drawback.
        That's pure practice... I had a lot of trouble with accents at first, too. Now I'm an old hand at it. Of course, the learning curve wasn't very pleasant...

Comment

Are there any other restrictions? For example, if you can be on your feet all day and routinely lift 40 pound boxes, there's order picker in a warehouse. Can you be away from home for extended periods? If so, you might want to consider becoming a truck driver.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I work in receiving and rarely deal with customers unless I have to. If you have no medical restrictions you might consider something like that. And I know that overnight shifts get at least a dollar more an hour.

Comment

Customers try to grope you? That is seriously disgusting. People are horrible.

Comment

Junior computer systems administration.

I have no idea what the pay rate is for bottom-tier sysadmin work where you are, but the bottom tier work is babysitting backups and updates, changing storage media, making sure printers don't jam or run out of paper, and the like.

You might be alone in the office (or alone save for cleaners, security, etc). Or you might be part of a team of sysadmin types.

Pay rate increases as your abilities improve: rates for top tier system administrators are ridiculously high, and depending on the company (and especially on HR rules), you can get there purely on experience with no additional formal qualifications.

That said, there's a LOT to learn to become a top tier sysadmin. But if you aren't after 'ridiculously high' for income level, just be a competent middle-tierer and have a comfy life: and if you stay out of tech support, you can have a minimum of interaction-with-strangers.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X