This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn't believe this when I saw it... ad for a job

I found the following on indeed today. There are really no words for this. The only thing I can do is show you.

To sum up, they want someone with an associates degree in what looks like engineering or architect with skills in things like CAD to build SHIPS. Yep, ships that sail on the sea. But they want to pay them less than federal minimum wage. While my state does not have a minimum wage, they still must abide by the federal minimum which is $7.25. Meaning, this isn't even legal.

--------------------------------------------------

Ship Designer
    $46 a day
    Basic Qualifications HS diploma, 2+ years experience, or AS degree. Equivalent combination of education and experience can be used in lieu of degree. Requires experience with computer aided design equipment such as AutoCAD. Must possess a full understanding of Naval Architecture/Structural/Foundation/Outfitting & Furnishings. Prior Naval Architecture experience is a must. Must be extremely knowledgeable of how all engineering functions interface. Job Description: Designs components or portions of systems and modifies existing designs to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations. Utilizes computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools such as, CAD, CAM or CATIA. Gathers information, makes studies, computes calculations, and prepares original rough layouts, sketches to present design proposal. Coordinates design criteria with engineering, manufacturing, tooling, material, and planning group such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials, and contractual specifications. Exclude classifications in which incumbents predominantly perform drafting assignments. .

Somehow I don't see qualified applicants beating down their doors...

Comment

Even those looking for experience will think twice at least three times before applying for this one.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

As someone who meets a lot of those qualifications and has experience in that field, granted its about 10 years out of date, I don't think they'll get anyone, lol. Now if they made it $46 an hour, they might get someone.

Comment

Quoth TawnyMyst View Post
          Now if they made it $46 an hour, they might get someone.
          That was my first thought, as well.

Comment

Many listings seem like that to me. "25+ years experience, PhD minimum, must be willing to work 100 hour weeks, additional qualifications include astronaut training, skydiving, and giving speeches to a global audience." And the job is for grounds keeping at a school. I'm exaggerating, but it feels true.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Many listings seem like that to me. "25+ years experience, PhD minimum, must be willing to work 100 hour weeks, additional qualifications include astronaut training, skydiving, and giving speeches to a global audience." And the job is for grounds keeping at a school. I'm exaggerating, but it feels true.
              Not to mention it's for minimum wage and no benefits. Insane requirements and insulting compensation. This is why I'm working in retail instead of doing data entry somewhere.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

@notalwaysright --- Unfortunately, You are not (entirely) exaggerating. I work in the IT field and I am shocked at what some companies want as "qualifications" and what the listed salary is that they will pay. :-0
                Last edited by wildman; 10-07-2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Quoth wildman View Post
                  @notalwaysright --- Unfortunately, You are not (entirely) exaggerating. I work in the IT field and I am shocked at what some companies want as "qualifications" and what the listed salary is that they will pay. :-0
                  Same for government work - they want people with years of education, training and experience but the pay and benefits are an insult to a recent college grad. And then they have the nerve to wonder why they can't hire anybody good...

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                    Ship Designer
                    $46 a day
                    Basic Qualifications
                    <snip>
                    CQD CQD CQD SOS SOS SOS SINKING. BAD SHIPBUILDING. REQUIRE IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE.

-.-. --.- -.. / -.-. --.- -.. / -.-. --.- -.. / ... --- ... / ... --- ... / ... --- ... / ... .. -. -.- .. -. --. .-.-.- / -... .- -.. / ... .... .. .--. -... ..- .. .-.. -.. .. -. --. .-.-.- / .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . / .. -- -- . -.. .. .- - . / .- ... ... .. ... - .- -. -.-. . .-.-.-
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Seen worse on Craig's list.
                      AkaiKitsune
                      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Well, given most "required" items in a job advert are optimistic at best..
                        (I've had jobs that apparently required computer programming, food hygiene certificates and a full driving license - I have none of those, but still passed the interview, got the job(s), did them well and kept them for years.)

Comment

For the pay for a day, I can design them a ship... it will be exactly what they paid for! Paper folded all nice and fancy, maybe waxed so it doesn't sink right off the bat...
                          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            Quoth wildman View Post
                            Many years ago when I was still in the computer field, one company at a career fair was looking for people with 5 years experience programming under Windows NT 4.0. I had been working with NT since the first beta of ANY version of NT had been released outside Microsoft - 4 years earlier (and 4.0 was around a year old). NOBODY could have the qualification they were looking for.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

While I don't agree with loopholes, there may very well be one. My son took a part time job while in high school doing such things as computer repair, transferring photos from print to a digital media, etc. Basically, anything you might need done that required a computer, he could do it. He was paid as contract labor with no taxes withheld. For the amount of pay and hours he received, it was well below the limit of reporting/paying taxes but kept a teen boy busy and a small amount of cash in his pocket. Fast forward to his last year of high school and boss decided to start paying by regular payroll including withholding taxes, except his pay was only $7/hour. I was appalled and son said he was going to talk to the boss about it. After all, he at least deserved minimum wage since he was doing things/repairs that the boss didn't even know how to do.

I dug and dug and dug trying to find out how he could get away with paying less than minimum wage. Finally found a loophole--in KY, for service type businesses that have a gross sales of less than a particular amount, that business is exempt from the minimum wage law. So, son took a month off (graduated high school a year prior) and went to work on a friend's family farm for some real money. Once he saw what it was like to actually be paid what you are worth, he never returned to the computer shop and took a job where my husband works.

Comment

Working...
                              X