This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to one

P won't be helping me with tags after this week. I can't blame her, to be honest.

We're going through a whole price-lowering binge right now...I have to put up all THOSE tags in addition to the regular ones. It took me four days to get everything up this past week, and half of that was wasted taking down old "everyday low price" tags (that I had just put up) and replacing them with the "new everyday low price"...as the retail price on both was the same, just the design was different.

The other players are:
    B: Pricing 'manager'. Annoyed with why can't I get everything done but fails to grasp (still) that I replaced four people (one of whom had a nervous breakdown because B was pushing him to do the whole store)
    Shithead: Technically P's and my supervisor.
    G: Night crew chief, officially our supervisor during the night shift. He knows B has been spreading rumors about P not doing her job and doesn't like it. Has backed me/us up against B and SM before.
    SM: Doesn't like confrontation and may not be long for the store

Occasionally, B has told me that SM told him that P isn't doing her job with tags. Bull. She does what she can, as do I. If SM has a problem with it he should talk to P or both of us directly.

On Monday, Shithead says to me "I hear you got more tags done without P than with her." like this was a great thing. I politely gave it to him then.
    Me: "[SH], do not use me as a yardstick. I have a head for numbers, and it's not fair to measure anyone against anyone else. P does the best job she can and believe me she does work. Ask G, we both bust ass. I think she does a great job. The amount we can get done each week depends entirely on how many boards of tags we get in the shipment. Don't make me the whipping boy, and DO NOT play us off against each other. If SM says he has problems with either of us he needs to talk to us."

Turns out that SM is too chicken to confront P directly about her 'performance' (WTF, if he wants to know she's doing her job watch the cameras). P is fed up with people trying to pit us against each other so is going back to days--but not to help Shithead. I'll still work with her some evenings.

I'll do what I can the way I was trained (store sale tags first and foremost, I shouldn't have anything to do with price changes). I'd like to see B work overnight (which he won't) and see what he can do. If I end up having to do tags during the days, fine. They have to pay one person 18 extra hours. If SM's really not happy with how I do tags, I'll go back to days and they can try to find or hire someone else.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-14-2015, 04:18 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

That's one of my pet peeves in the workplace as well, using an exemplary employee as the benchmark of what should be the standard.

I'm not saying use Joe Bloe, Mr Bottom Standards, but someone in between the two. Bottom Standards are how I refer to those who put in the least amount of work possible while still retaining their job.

It might sound strange, but I kind of wish that the workplace operated on a grading system. Higher grades would/could equal better pay, promotions, etc. Like C to keep your job, B's get cost of living raises, A's get bigger raises and promotions.

I guess technically it does, just pass-fail rather than a scale. The thing that sucks about pass-fail is exactly what sucks about most employment situations. The pass side of things is not equal, you've got the good students who in a traditional class would be pulling A's sitting next to Joe Bloe who'd be pulling a low C, yet they both pass the class with the same grade and the same effect on their diploma.

Comment

I don't like it either. Some people are good at certain things that others aren't, and vice versa. I know at my former PT job (retail) I was really good, or so I was told, on the register. SO if it was busy, we had an event, etc. I got put on register. Fine by me, vs. having to suck up to customers and try and upsell. I'm not that good at that but others were.

I chalk it up to how people's brains are wired. I can run around doing all the closing tasks, trash, hangers, straightening, one after another, after another, and sometimes multitask. Other of my former CWs had trouble doing more than one thing, nad then had to keep asking "what's next, what's next"

Doesn't mean anyone person is better than another, just that everyone has their own strenghths and weakenesses.

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
        It might sound strange, but I kind of wish that the workplace operated on a grading system. Higher grades would/could equal better pay, promotions, etc. Like C to keep your job, B's get cost of living raises, A's get bigger raises and promotions.
        Makes sense to me. I was told when hired that they did do annual reviews, but we don't. When I asked about this I was told that it wouldn't be "fair" for X to get a raise while Y doesn't...nobody except management and X needs to know.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post

I guess technically it does, just pass-fail rather than a scale. The thing that sucks about pass-fail is exactly what sucks about most employment situations. The pass side of things is not equal, you've got the good students who in a traditional class would be pulling A's sitting next to Joe Bloe who'd be pulling a low C, yet they both pass the class with the same grade and the same effect on their diploma.
          Of course, this assumes the grades are based solely on how productive an employee is, not on how much management likes an employee for...whatever reason.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
          X