X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your opinions on this cover letter

Hello,

I believe I am exactly what you are looking for having been the Assistant General Manager of the ******* for two and a half years. My purview was the front desk, housekeeping, reservations, guest service, sales and security. While the General Manager handled Maintenance in most cases, I would occasionally need to assist with this if he was not available.

I also assisted with Revenue Management as needed.

As the ***** is a small hotel, there is very little that I did not do, including cost comparisons and cost savings depending on how busy we were, inventory and ordering.

I started at the hotel on the day of opening under new ownership. There were no policies and procedures in place as the previous owner ran it as a home rather than a business. I was instrumental in
    creating all policies and procedures, as well as the SOP, for the Front Desk and Housekeeping.

I assisted with hiring and trained new staff.

I have overseen and participated in several pms migrations.

I believe that a happy staff working together can produce great things for everyone and believe that there is no such thing as "not my job". If something needs to be done, then it gets done as soon as possible.

With this email, I have included my resume, letter's of recommendation, and examples of desktop publishing I have done for other hotels.

You have seen what I can do for you but I honestly don't believe that's enough. You will find many managers applying for this job. Some have experiences in big boxes, some will have experience in independents, and some boutique hotels. But my experience is fairly unique. Why? Because I know what it's like to run a small hotel. It's not just a place you work, it's a place that becomes who you are. A place that you grow with and learn from. A place that requires a level of dedication no other hotel would require because there is no one else below you. In the end, everything falls on you. For a small hotel such as this, you will be doing Revenue Management one moment, and possibly cleaning rooms or doing laundry the next. There is nothing that a manager of such a small property does not do.

I have to be truthful and say that I truly and deeply miss it. It has been some time now since I was part of the *****. When the position was eliminated, it felt like I lost a part of myself. I would like to regain that feeling. I really feel that a place such as you have described would be perfect for me, and what I have to offer. I have the knowledge, I'm willing, and I understand what it's like to be part of something great. I would truly like to use that for your hotel. I believe that, working together, we can make your hotel a great name in the city to move away from the cookie cutter and give guests something unique that will bring them back again and again.

A small hotel such as this requires passion, and caring, for the guests, the staff, and the hotel itself.

If you would like to speak to me, please call ***.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Your passion certainly comes across. I would put something between the "Hello" and the "I believe I am exactly what you are looking for." It's possible that this letter would be read by some HR person in a corporation that has no idea exactly which hotel has advertised this position (unlikely, but still). I would also suggest you check grammar - there are a couple of places where I would write it another way, but then again I could be the one who is wrong!

Overall, well done!

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
      I started at the hotel on the day of opening under new ownership. There were no policies and procedures in place as the previous owner ran it as a home rather than a business. I was instrumental in
      creating all policies and procedures, as well as the SOP, for the Front Desk and Housekeeping.
      Delete the comma that I highlighted in red (after SOP).
      Quoth Moirae View Post
      You have seen what I can do for you but I honestly don't believe that's enough. You will find many managers applying for this job. Some have experiences in big boxes, some will have experience in independents, and some boutique hotels.
      I would use a different term for that. "Big Box" has a negative sound.

Otherwise it looks pretty good to me.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Hmmm..... Suggest you remove the negative wording for some parts and replace it with positive equivalents. Examples:

While the General Manager handled Maintenance in most cases, I would occasionally need to assist with this if he was not available.
        I would also assist with Maintenance when the General Manager was not available.

As the ***** is a small hotel, there is very little that I did not do, including cost comparisons and cost savings depending on how busy we were, inventory and ordering.

As the ***** is a small hotel, I was involved in most parts of the operation, including cost comparisons and cost savings depending on how busy we were, inventory and ordering.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Actually, it's for a very small hotel, and they are looking for exactly what I wrote on that email.

xcashier, the term Big Boxes isn't a negative term in my industry. At least not that I have ever heard. It's a blanket term that refers to the power house companies in the industry such as Marriott and Hilton. Working for a big box is a very very different experience from working for a small independent hotel. The small hotel requires an excess of personal dedication that the big boxes don't because a big box has other managers to take some of the duties.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. No call so far.

I'm starting to understand why some people just stop looking for a new job. It takes so much energy, and is so ego beating.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
            I'm starting to understand why some people just stop looking for a new job. It takes so much energy, and is so ego beating.
            Yes, it is. It's way more difficult than it should be. I wish you the best of luck.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quite. The whole process of job-seeking is a considerable energy drain that insists on bringing up bad memories.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
              X