Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for anyone who goes outside during hunting season...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for anyone who goes outside during hunting season...

I've mentioned before that I'm a trail runner. And I find myself, for the first time ever, running in an area that is prone to hunters (previously ran on an ashram that had hundreds of acres and never had to worry about that sort of thing...), and needing the proper gear.

Primarily, I'd like to find a running top appropriate for autumn weather (so elbow-length sleeves, or a vest to wear over a running shirt), that is hunter's orange and preferably has reflective stripes for those early-morning runs. I'm pretty picky with my running gear, as I prefer close-fitting items made from neoprene or another synthetic. Natural materials tend to not fit quite right, and end up annoying me.

So, throw it at me. What do you wear, where did you get it, and how much did you pay?

I'm sure Cabelas would have something appropriate - breathable shirt and a hunter's vest. Just about everything in their hunting and camping line have a hunter orange option. They also have those awesome wicking socks and shirts.
    Can't quote prices since we just recycled everything but the ammo catalog, but it is reasonable for the quality (IMO).

If you live in Vermont, I would flat out advise you not to do this for safety reasons.

Comment

Upstate NY.

The area I run in is a conservation area. For the most part, I'm safe - I stay on the town park side of things. However, the other side of the area backs right up to a hunting zone, and they actually close the path on that side.

I don't think I'd actually be in any danger, I just want to add another couple layers of protection. Used to go out hiking the mountains all the time when I was growing up in NH, so I know how to be safe. I just don't know the current brands for good gear.

I'll definitely check out Cabelas. Never come across them before, so I'll have fun poking around, anyway.

Comment

Take a trip to Wisconsin. The official state color is Blaze Orange.

Okay, it's not in writing or anything, but it's pretty much assumed.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
        X