Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe. I had a cup of leftover milk on the floor, and she stuck her head in it and had a taste or two. Since then, nope. I don't let her. I do know about the meat vs filler cat food, years ago I had to feed Bitty meaty food because her kidneys were not working. You're right, she lost weight (was overweight) and pooped less.
    Ivory's also longhaired, and has hurked one hairball for me. I'm planning on getting the Cosequin and some good hairball meds for her. For the food, I have to wait til the food's all gone. The meds are more important for now.
    She's a wonderful cat. Gentle, lovey, well mannered, keeps herself clean. She's also a VERY fast mouse-whapper. I move some string past her, and she's like lightning. She was a mouser in a previous life. Heheh, this older lady, I can just imagine her laying around kittens and telling the stories about big big mices being caught. Talking stories to the kids. "Back when I was your age I caught all the mice in Seattle. Oh yes I did! I had to have skills to ride cars and trucks, but yeah, I got all the mice."

I'm SO glad I got her. Hmph. She just cleaned herself and plopped herself in the middle of the bed right in front of my pillows. Gee thanks, kitty girl.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

She sounds (and looks!) like a total sweetie! Bless you for giving this adorable kitty a loving home.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Here's another pic. I've got to catch her with the camera more often.
        We've experimented with the leash, but right now it's more of "Hey. You are NOT gonna run off, old lady. Got it?" And she knows. I left her alone for 30 minutes to go water my garden, and she had done some exploring without me pushing her. She misses jumping so much though, she looks at the trees like "I used to be able to run you, I'm sad now" She's also used to this spot enough to go back to the door and MROW to go back in. We are always outside together. I can't let her out at night by herself and let her in, because I don't know /hear if she's scratching at the door. Plus, she might run out to the shared rooms and we're not supposed to have that. The rules for us is: my room, the bathroom, and outside. So it's going to be supervised field trips.
        She gave me another hairball last night, and a few days ago she had a really bad poo-hairball. Poor lady. I'm experimenting with baby food squash added to her wet food, see if that helps. I'm also brushing her and going outside, since she might be bored.
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/skguglrw7d...2020.02.33.jpg

More pics soon.
        Last edited by iradney; 08-24-2012, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Hint for hairballs... A little bit of vegetable oil :-) I give it to my old boy once in a while and it seems to help

Comment

New pics

Quoth PawnPrincess Ardra View Post
            Hint for hairballs... A little bit of vegetable oil :-) I give it to my old boy once in a while and it seems to help
            I've tried mineral oil with her food. It's kind of funny seeing a cat grimace when they're eating. The "ew I have to eat it but ew ew icky ack ew". I've also tried the hairball meds in the tube. She doesn't like that very much. So ok, veggie oil. She also licks herself crazy, like every half hour (when she's awake). I try to keep her occupied, and brush her (lightly) once a day. I think she doesn't like the brush on her sensitive bones At least she doesn't have matting and really dirty skin. I'd rather her be a clean kitty than a dirty kitty.

I held her last night in my arms and she just purrrrrrrred like crazy. For like 15 minutes straight, holding her and hearing her purr. It felt good.
            Attached Files

Comment

Might see if she likes butter, with our shaggy monster cat we would dab a bit of butter on top of his front paws.
              Meeeeoooow.....
              Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

butter would probably work even more easily than oil for sure.. .I know both cats would lick my toast clean if I'd let them

Comment

Believe it or not, I add Metamucil to my cats daily food, it helps him poop it out. My vet also recommended pumpkin purée, but the odorless tasteless Metamucil mixed in to wet food and he doesn't notice, he did with the pumpkin and refused to eat it. He also gets the treats that are formulated for hairballs. I think temptations and hartz both have a formula.

Comment

Update for Kitty

Update:
                    She's fine! Doc says everything's good for her, she's very healthy.
                    Since she's been here, the hairball stuff has diminished, and we've not had any for 2 weeks (knock on wood). She eats gooshyfood and dry food every day, poo and pees just fine.
                    She also is shedding like crazy, her coat is clean and soft, and is happy to have a hooman. Shedding - omg. I made a mat for her for outside, and there is a lot of fuzz/fur/floof all over it. Glad she's kept most of her shedding outside.

Sometimes I think she scratches too much, she's got an owie by her eye. Overall, she's pretty damn happy. I guess so far the only issue is that she doesn't like the dry kibbles I've tried with her. Tried some Friskies, she doesn't like it. (I know we'd all talked about non-corn stuff. She came home with Science Diet, it was free). I'm looking around for better cat foods, and it's a trial game now. But, really, I have nothing to complain about.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What a beautiful girl! Glad she's doing better. She does have that look about her face of "I am the queen here." haha! Good for you for taking her in & helping her get happy & healthy again!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

She's gorgeous! I have to add in my recommendation that you get her onto a high quality food. Sure, up front it looks like the stuff is way more expensive than cheap generics, but it's actually cheaper in the long run. She won't need to eat as much of the good quality food, which means one bag of that will last something like twice as long as the cheap food. She'll also poop less, which means not needing as much cat litter to replace what's scooped out when you clean her box. AND, feeding her high quality food will mean fewer medical issues and generally a longer, healthier, happier life for her.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

What Kittish said about the food expense.

The volume cost is higher, but when you just compare the cost of the parts that cats can actually digest, it can sometimes end up costing less.

It's amazing how much difference a decent food can make in their general health. When we end up with cheap food (rare), you can tell by their coats (immediately because their saliva is different, and then down the road when their fur grows out enough).

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Awwww, what a beautiful lady

We used to open the Cosequin capsules and mix the powder with McGriff's food.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                            X