This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding themes and ideas.

Ok..here goes. First I know a few will probably hear this and think "They should have waited till they actually met." Please don't. I just can not see my feelings for Marmalady changing once we met. So as you probably guessed .. we have been talking about our wedding.

Now I am a bit more engaged with the process then the average guy. I LOVE talking about it, planning it, imagining it. The one thing I really really asked for was 'not the traditional wedding...ANYTHING but the traditional wedding'. So..we sat down and had some ideas..and we are wanting some input..if anybody has something to add..which idea people like most, and the like. Now although we have themes and such everybody involved but us would be free to come dressed as they liked..even the bridesmaids and grooms. You want to dress like an Orc, or a fairy, or come in t-shirt and jeans..hey if we find a place it is not illegal and you want to come in the nude..more power too you.

First up is an Autumn wedding. Either just as the leaves turn, or on Halloween. It would be medieval themed. I would wear either armor or fur, and she has suggested a red dress for her. I am a little partial to royal blue, even though red is one of my favorite colors, because she is the queen of my heart, and a queen should be dressed in Royal Blue. Still Red is a good color also. . We would have jack o' lanterns lining the path with candles for this one. And arrive in a horse drawn carriage. The reception would be banquet style.

Second is an actual wedding on Halloween, and the theme would be the 40's. Marmalady would be able to describe this more, but I assure you..I am all for it.

Next is a winter wedding. Everything in white..the decorations, the cake, my suit, her dress..her with an 'icicle tiara'. Pretty straight forward here.

Finally (so far) there is a wedding at a Con. Since a lot of the participants would be in costume anyhow, we would fit right in. I loved the video Kiakat posted of the con wedding, and wanted to include this one.

So thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Oh and as for when..well I did have one request from her. That we don't make those plans until after I meet her..and get to propose properly.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

*points at www.offbeatbride.com for ideas*

Seriously. They're AWESOME. And once you do make it official and set a date, join their community. Is epic and terrific and great for grooms as well as brides.

Comment

The nice thing about Autumn weddings is you can play around with lovely, warm colour schemes. A friend of mine is having hers in the Autumn of next year, and her centrepieces are driftwood she's collected on the beach, draped with red and yellow glass beads and some tea light candles - so the candle light will bounce off and through the beads. Will look gorgeous!
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm kind of surprised you don't have a dragon-themed wedding among the possibilities.

My ex and I did a Halloween Masquerade wedding. It was held in a park and was absolutely lovely. The nice thing about sou Cali is that the weather is often quite pleasant around that time of year.

Unless you can completely control the environment, I would advise against a pure white event. If you can completely control everything, then it'd definitely be interesting. However, it's worth noting that white is not a flattering color for fuller figures, so you might wish to consider how the both of you and your guests will feel about that.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well we want a dragon wedding cake, and have talked about an act that has dragon puppets. As for the white..our guests would not have to wear white. Regardless of what theme, guests (and bridesmaids and grooms) could wear whatever they want. The decorations, the cake, etc would be white though *smiles*
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

My sister's wedding was right toward the end of October last year, and it was perfect. The weather was just right (a little breezy, but very sunny) and the leaves were so pretty because they had only just changed. So I think an autumn wedding would be lovely. <3
            Last edited by firecat88; 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Well, going with the whole dragon thing...

Since she's a silver dragon, you could do up a white with silver accent dress for her with the wings and tail being represented by a cape and train.

For you, being a black dragon, you could go with the traditional black, but with a notably non-traditional design with shorter matching cape and tails on the coat instead of a train.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Seconding the Offbeat Bride suggestion, they're brilliant people. I also love the other sites in the empire, have a look around on those when you need to chill out or when you're worried about parenting stuff. Love the idea of an autumn wedding because there is so much colour and it's cool enough to wear fun things without feeling like you're melting. Congrats you two, you're so sweet and I hope you have many happy years together.

Edited to add: Don't worry about the meeting stuff, Rugz and I were talking marriage while in a long distance relationship on the strength of two real-life meetings and we've been together for 9 years, happily married for (almost) 7. You two can do this!
                Last edited by Mishi; 09-07-2012, 11:11 PM.
                Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Very cute. I would also allow for a bit of versatility in the event that something goes wrong eg the florist can't provide yellow flowers,they can only provide white ones or similar.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The bouquets for Marm and the bridesmaids should not be flowers, if you want to avoid traditional.

Fans, Feathers, Horns of Plenty. All great substitutes. They also are more adaptable to certain themes. Though if there is going to be a Bouquet Toss, just make sure it's something that can be tossed or there is an alternate item for the toss. My friend had all the bridesmaids and herself with parasols, that they carried in a closed position during the procession and opened up for photos. For the toss, she threw a beanbag.

Though I think it's a silly activity, I have personally caught the bouquet twice.

I do have a lot of ideas for winter weddings, but they are MINE! *hoards them in my wish box*

EDIT FOR AWESOME IDEA= For Catering you should definitely have a Mash Potato Bar for cocktail hour, or appetizers. They are the latest wedding crazy, and personally I love them. Mostly just the whole mashed potatoes in a martini glass thing. But it's fun.

Oh and make sure you wedding favors match your theme. I can't think of suggestions, but I'm sure you both have amazing ideas.
                    Last edited by hinakiba777; 09-08-2012, 12:00 AM.
                    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Congrats!

It sounds like you both are going to have a great deal of fun planning your wedding.

If pictures of the event are important to you, do try to budget for professional photography. That is my one and only regret from my wedding. We had little disposable cameras for people to take "candid" shots...but instead the few kidlings we had at the wedding made off with the cameras so we have about 3 shots of the ceremony and 200 photographs of peoples feet, the insides of kids mouths, chairs, and some rather lovely shots of the cieling.

Comment

Hehe I have flat out told her that, while I would do the traditional wedding for her, I would go so far as to dress in a pink tutu and dance like a ballerina over having to wear a tie. I was very fortunate that she also does not like the idea of a traditional wedding.

We are also wanting to do a 'cyber wedding' in addition to the actual one. Hoping to have Raps officiate, have people in the forums who could not make the physical wedding be able to come and participate.

Before I say this next part, keep in mind we know what is real and what is not, but we like to have a bit of a fantasy in our discussions (not those kinds..keep your minds out of the gutter). We would introduce Vii, Chione, and Unah..our pet Drake, Unisus (a unicorn with wings), and Phoenix. They would be participating *laughs*. Like I said, we are odd, but at least we are different. I mean we are dragons, with dragon magic, from time to time..but our love for each other is very real. Anyhow, I am going off on a tangent again.

For the Cyber Wedding, we would want to be in dragon form..but others may come however they desire. I would take best man/etc volunteers, not sure how Marmalady would handle getting the bridesmaids.

Keep in mind that we are wanting to have this AFTER the real wedding, just a way for friends here who could not participate in the real thing to participate. On that note, we owe Raps a lot for making the site on which we met. So CHEERS!

Comment

First off, Congrats!! I love weddings! Second...

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          Well, going with the whole dragon thing...

Since she's a silver dragon, you could do up a white with silver accent dress for her with the wings and tail being represented by a cape and train.

For you, being a black dragon, you could go with the traditional black, but with a notably non-traditional design with shorter matching cape and tails on the coat instead of a train.

^-.-^
                          THIS.

Great idea. If she's thinking red on the Autumn theme (my favorite idea so far), why not a silver dress/red accents or red dress/silver accents? You could do red or silver accents to go with your black suit.

For flowers, garden-style with gerbera daisies, mini-calla lilies, etc in red/yellow/orange and silver/black accents. Those long feather accents would look nice, I think. Cake toppers? Why, silver and black dragons of course!

Quick google seach came up with this: http://www.todaysmodernbride.com/592...e-wedding.html that may be helpful with the authenticity of a medieval theme.

Comment

When i married my exhusband our cake topper was two dragons forming a heart. Lil ray has it in her room as a keepsake. We got married in june, in texas...outdoors. we had bouganviia surrounding the gazebo and our flowers were white. It was very pretty. Good luck y'all!

Comment

My sister did this for her wedding that would be nice. If you're gonna get in your getaway carriage at night, why not have your guest line up on both sides with sparklers lit as you exit.

I like Lachesis's idea to use your dragon color accents on your wedding garb.

Comment

Working...
                              X