This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got adjusted

Boss #2 (the Sister) came to me yesterday to tell me she was "adjusting" my paycheck.

She then said that had been doing great work lately and deserved it.

At this point I realize she means I am getting a raise, I guess she just can't say she is paying out more money.

But then she tells me to keep it to myself and not tell any of the other employees.

I got my paycheck today and it was adjusted up by $1 per hour !
    Last edited by Dark Psion; 08-13-2006, 05:51 AM.
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
    But then she tells me to keep it to myself and not tell any of the other employees.

I got my paycheck today and it was adjusted up by $1 per hour !
    I understand not wanting to get bugged by every employee in the place for a raise... but still, giving raises is supposed to be to improve employee morale or provide incentive to work harder... so why not let you tell? Then you just tell everyone else "Dark Psion is working his tail off; we felt it was justified... here's where you need to improve first..."

Comment

Because, crappy co-workers have the mentality of "someone got a raise why can I get one too"

It might be a one time check adjustment, might be a normal raise. Either way, it's really none of the co-workers business. Management have a painful job of balancing pay.

Dark Psion should be happy that the boss does reward for good work via extra pay. If it was done for him, it probably was done for other good workers. Why rock the boat and get management piss?

He can tell family, friends (outside work), even fellow CS forumers So he got his morale boost.

for Dark Psion
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Dark Psion!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          I understand not wanting to get bugged by every employee in the place for a raise... but still, giving raises is supposed to be to improve employee morale or provide incentive to work harder... so why not let you tell? Then you just tell everyone else "Dark Psion is working his tail off; we felt it was justified... here's where you need to improve first..."
          At my company we have "Bonus Time" it comes mid March after our yearly performance reviews. NO ONE talks about it. It is a very sore spot for people. Especially when it came to me this year.

We have 2 bonus tiers. The first tier is a "Business Award" Based on the profits from your division of the comany everyone gets a small bonus. The one the gets everyone all up in arms though is the "Individual Award" Management has to pick out the top 25% of their employees and those people get a much larger second bonus.

No one tells when they get the individual award. Since for every 1 person who did, 3 people didn't. I was surprised when I got the big bonus this year because there are only 8 people in my unit, which means only 2 get it. I had just transferred to this unit last August, so at the time of review I had been in the unit for less than 6 mos and the next shortest time in the unit was 10 yrs!! And there were some people literally in tears that they didn't get the bonus they were counting on.
          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

maybe there is a yearly raise schedual, and they don't want people to think they can ask for it early...

Comment

Actually, it's quite common for anything related to wages to be kept private.

At our store, pay rates, bonuses and raises are to be kept highly confidential.

I suspect it has more to do with the unfairness of the way the wage rates are distributed and applied.

I was promoted to management, doing a pretty high stress job, and only got a 40 cent raise. There is no way you can tell me that I was only 40 cents away from a management wage at my old job.

I suspect that there is at least a $2 or more difference between my wage and other managers who have been there for the same time as I have, but who were full time for longer and in a management position longer.
              Also, with the merger I know there are staff who were not at the other store nearly as long as I have been at mine, but who are probably earning a higher wage than I am.

Also, the men tend to get paid a higher wage. They get bigger raises.
              They start at a higher rate, and their raises go up anywhere from 25 to 50 cents, but the females get 10 to 25 cents.

By the way, congratulations on your great "adjustment", Dark Psion
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

The trouble is, when people know each others' pay, no matter what the rates actually *are* they think it's unfair. If they make less because they haven't been there as long, it's not fair because they work harder (or think they do). If they make less because they do less, it's unfair because they've been there as long as someone who makes more. Sometimes even when they make *more* they complain when they find out it isn't as much more as they thought...

By the way, congratulations on the raise!
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                X