Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are used to foreign labor making things cheap, and are soooo removed, now from people who actually make things that they have no concept of what it takes to go from raw materials to finished product. I used to think it just applied to "wimin's work" but I have a friend who's a handyman. Realtors will sometimes ask him to fix up a house - free - so it will sell, and they'll be happy to tell the new homeowner what a great guy he is; he should be happy with the work he'd get from that. Except the defects are already repaired, aren't they? And the new owner isn't required to go with Good, Expensive Handyman. Many of them, having just purchased a house, will hire the cheapest laborer they can find.

Quote attributed to John Ruskin, but often disputed:

11 November 1905, The Winston-Salem Journal (NC),
    "Remember that there is hardly anything that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and that people who consider price only, are that man’s lawful prey."

Comment

I like to counter that with 1 Timothy, 5:18. "For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

There are similar messages in Leviticus (19:13), Deuteronomy (24:14-15), Matthew (10:10), Luke (10:7), and 1 Corinthians (9:9 and 9:14).

These references are Christian-specific, yes, but every religion I know of has some texts with that kind of message. 'Treat anyone you hire well, they deserve their pay'.

Pity so many people don't get that.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'd love to buy your quilts, but I've got 4 home made ones already. My mom made 3 and my grandmother made 1. The one my grandmother made lasted over 30 years before it had to be retired.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
          I have an Etsy shop, but I've only been able to sell potholders and small stuff since September.
          I don't suppose you could link your Etsy store? I'd love to take a look. Although my sister is an avid quilter and I'm worried about offending her. But I also don't want to ask her to make me things...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            I like to counter that with 1 Timothy, 5:18. "For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

There are similar messages in Leviticus (19:13), Deuteronomy (24:14-15), Matthew (10:10), Luke (10:7), and 1 Corinthians (9:9 and 9:14).

These references are Christian-specific, yes, but every religion I know of has some texts with that kind of message. 'Treat anyone you hire well, they deserve their pay'.

Pity so many people don't get that.
            actually, both quotes are compatible with each other. the first quote basically says "if you only consider price when purchasing something, you get what you pay for" while your quotes amount to "don't stop people from doing the work they are supposed to do, and if someone does work for you, they deserve whatever you promised them in exchange." (In other words, if you hire someone to do something for you, pay them at least what you agreed.)

as for the debate earlier about why people aren't buying Kanalah's quilts: To be honest, I get the impression that a lot of the people she is trying to sell to are just looking for something to put on the bed- while Kanalah is, essentially, producing a premium product. As such, I second the advice from earlier in the thread- you may want to look further away for craft shows that sewrve areas that are more likely to want higher-quality quilts.

Comment

And in her etsy store, she needs the info that explains why it's a premium product.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Since the show was supposed to be handmade items only they should've had a clearly stated clause in the contract stating what would happen if the vendor put out buy/sell items instead. If the ladies who organized the show can't pull up their big girl panties and enforce the contract then they shouldn't state it's a handmade only show.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                X