This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas for a Photo Retailer

Some things I'd love to say to my customers....

Christmas time in photo-retailing.

Photo Printing Customers:

No, your phone does not take good photos, that's why this giant print you ordered looks like crap.

Yes, you need a real camera to get a decent print.

No, I'm not trying to cheat you here.

No, don't look at me, look at the screen.

Yes, you can use the kiosk.
    No?
    Can you read English and follow instructions? Then yes, you can use the kiosk.

No, I can't stand here and hold your hand printing photos while there's a shop full of people waiting for me.

It's 30min to close, no this photo order for 400+ prints won't be ready before I shut the door and shut you out of my life.

No, your photos won't look like they do on your phone/laptop unless it's calibrated.

No, I'm not making this up.

Passport Photo Customers

No, this is not a portrait photo, it's a passport photo.

No, we do not have a spare shirt because you forgot your own. (See first line!)

No, I will not stand here waiting while you do your make up. (See first line!)

No, your baby is fast asleep, we can not take the photo right now.

No, do not wake your baby up here, you'll make me need my earplugs.

NO, DEFINITELY DO NOT POKE YOUR BABY UNTIL SHE WAKES UP AND STAND IN THE DOORWAY WITH YOUR SCREAMING BABY STOPPING CUSTOMERS FROM COMING IN!

No, it's after 5:30 (closing time) we're closed, we can't take your passport photo.

No, it's after 5:30 again, we're closed. (Yes, she came back the same time the next day.)

Old People

Yes, we're happy to serve you, but no we don't want your life story.

No, we still don't want your life story.

No, we don't carry Pentax anymore, no one wants to buy it

No, Pentax is not the "best" brand any more.

No, I will not speak up, if you need your hearing aids, use them.

No, I don't have time to just talk about things irrelevant to the sale.

No, I will not repeat myself 5 times because you didn't listen to anything I've just told you. (Well same goes for everyone else)

People with "professional" friends

No, what your "professional" friend says is bullsh*t.

Yes, s/he may like Brand X, but that doesn't make it any better than Brand Y.

No, what your spouting is crap.

No, I don't care if a "professional" said it, it's a total crap.

No, this photo was not taken by a "professional."

No, it doesn't matter what you say, there is no way this photo was taken by a "professional."

People with photos taken by actual professionals

No, we can't reproduce this work due to copyright laws.

No, the $5-10 we'd make from this sale is not worth the tens of thousands in fines to the company.

No, the $5-10 we'd make from this sale is not worth the thousands in fines to myself and the loss of a job.

No, this is not bad customer service.

No, our cheap photos are not professional quality - you get what you pay for.

People who think they're professionals

No, I don't care if you're a professional.

Yes, most people who come in telling me they're a professional are usually not any good.

No, it doesn't matter how much money you've spent with us, I'm not just going to drop my pants because you want me to.

No, I don't have time to talk sh*T about different techniques/technology.

No, if you're asking me how to shoot a wedding, you're not a professional.

Honestly, do you think they'll listen? Or understand? Or care?

And yes, I know where I am...

Comment

Oh they'd listen just long enough to be able to make a complaint to head office...

Comment

You work at a photo retailer? Do you have Kodachrome? None of the shops around home carry it.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
          No, it doesn't matter how much money you've spent with us, I'm not just going to drop my pants because you want me to.
          Wait, what? Drop your pants?

Is this a photography-related term I've never heard of before, or was some customer asking for a special favor?
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
            Wait, what? Drop your pants?

Is this a photography-related term I've never heard of before, or was some customer asking for a special favor?

This is a pretty common phrase, usually to indicate that someone's preparing to get (*ahem*) Royally Fucked by a Sucktomer. i.e., "I don't have to bend over and take it".

Comment

Pentax is still around as Ricoh Imaging

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                You work at a photo retailer? Do you have Kodachrome? None of the shops around home carry it.
                Sorry Paul Simon, Mama did take your Kodachrome away.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                  Pentax is still around as Ricoh Imaging
                  Yeah, we just don't carry the brand as there's no demand

Comment

Just a question, but how long does the copyright last for photos? I have my parents' professionally taken wedding pic and my sibs are demanding that I make good copies for them. Doing it on a copy machine won't get good results and I happen to know that the photographer died many years ago.

I don't want to steal anything from anyone, so if you have suggestions as to how I can legally copy a photo of dead people taken by a dead person, I'd sure like them.

Of course, I wouldn't show up at the shop and expect my copies to be ready in time to mail them out for delivery before Christmas...I'd just take a photo of the invoice and email that to sibs to let them know that they will all get a copy whenever.

Comment

I'm not sure about the copyright. I want to say it's something like 50 years but in our store we have releases people can sign and one of the choices says you tried to find the photographer. Again, not exactly sure on that. One thing I do know is that we get people bringing in old pictures all the time to get printed and we do really good copies. And it's done same day. Unless the pictures is in bad shape and it's sent out for restoration, then it's a few weeks. I may have complaints about my company but we do have a good photo department.
                      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

50 years for photos take prior to a date late last century (can't remember exactly) and 70 years for photos taken after

Comment

How long does a copyright last?
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                            Yeah, we just don't carry the brand as there's no demand
                            We actually carry Pentax as Pentax - the models we carry are consistently among our top sellers. Weird. I didn't realize this was anomaly

Comment

OMG!! I used to work in a photo store for 20 years. Literally EVERY WORD is true!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X