Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'Professional' friend is the bane of any technical field.

In real life the 'friend' is truly a professional in the field, and has refused the 'friend's' request because they already know it will be impossible to do, or take so much effort that the 'friend' does not want to do it for cheap/free. The SC is lying to you because they can't get the so-called friend to support their crazy demands.

The 'friend' is not a professional and in many cases does not exist, and the SC is lying to you to try and get you to do something because they have challenged you. My dad used to do that all the time, he would try to challenge me thinking I would have to prove him wrong by doing the very thing he wanted in the first place.

In all cases, if you ask "Well, if your friend know how to do it for you so cheap/free why did you not take it to them to do?" and the excuses will fly for sure.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
      Just a question, but how long does the copyright last for photos? I have my parents' professionally taken wedding pic and my sibs are demanding that I make good copies for them.
      Once you've found out how to legally do it (if you can), ask the photo place to supply you with a digital copy. If they ask you what format you want, good formats are TIFF and PNG, or any format that's 'lossless'. You also want the original scan size, not an enlarged or shrunken size: the original scan size has the most data.
      If there's any restoration work done, ask for both a copy of the original and the restored (again, that maximises the amount of data).

Best of luck.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Of the two, ideally, you want a TIFF ^_^ They're friggin' HUGE, tho. Great if you plan to use the image in a paper-based publication of any kind in the future. PNG is indeed lossless, as well, just compressed. I loves it for everyday use

Tangential subject, for OP and anyone else in here who might have used them: Eneloops. Yea? Nay? Do they live up to the hype?
        Last edited by EricKei; 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Never used them myself, but a few years back when I was semi-active on another board dedicated to flashlight enthusiasts they were one of the preferred brands of rechargeables.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Tangential subject, for OP and anyone else in here who might have used them: Eneloops. Yea? Nay? Do they live up to the hype?
            I like the ones I have. They hold charge pretty good just sitting on the shelf, so I usually have some ready as needed.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I have those batteries and I like them. The first set I bought is probably 5 years old and I can't tell the difference between the older ones and the newer ones.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

On Pentax, I think it must be a location thing. He local distributor does nothing to promote the brand at all, and there's an extremely small range of lenses available, meaning very few people apart from the elderly and the misinformed actually ask for Pentax anymore, so we stopped carrying the brand.

On Eneloop batteries, I have about 5-6 sets around the house for my three flashes. And in pouches on my camera strap for quick swap over. I swear by them.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                  On Pentax, I think it must be a location thing. He local distributor does nothing to promote the brand at all, and there's an extremely small range of lenses available, meaning very few people apart from the elderly and the misinformed actually ask for Pentax anymore, so we stopped carrying the brand.
                  Makes sense. My company's buyers are pretty high on the Pentax brand, so we probably market it a bit more aggressively than your distributors do. And why carry a brand nobody in your market wants? Sounds like a bad investment in inventory dollars to me. Special order if someone wants one that badly, but yeah, don't regularly stock those.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                    there's an extremely small range of lenses available
                    How things change... Pentax K-mount lenses used to be all over eBay, and they were M42 before that. I'm guessing they don't use those mounts anymore?

Comment

No, still K mount, but there's very few "new" lenses we can get in, and not many of them above consumer level quality

Comment

Working...
                      X