X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the other shows this year...

Round 2 - Fight!

Second show of the season for me is held at the school where I work. I always do very well at this show despite being one of many quilters there. This year there were 7 quilters there.

I got some sweet sweet vindication because I was able to prove to my mom that the 6 foot tall gridwall did fit in my car. Of course she didn't apologize for the earlier spat, but she never apologizes.

We showed up as early as we could to set up, which meant that all the close parking spots were taken, and there was no one available to help us unload. So of course, by the time we were set up, my back was ready to give up.

The next morning, I was checking over everything, making sure it was just right before the show opened. I heard a "hmph!" loudly behind me. Turning around, with a cheery "Good Morning!" I saw the only other quilter in my area of the show. She usually stops me when I'm setting up and asks me to take down my quilts. This time, she says nothing, glares at me and walks off.

I am right by the door this year, so soon I hear the show organizer talking. "No, we're not asking her to leave." "She works here at the school, she's a really nice person, and we like having her at the show." I look down, pretending to move things around in my booth. She walks back out into the main room, crosses her arms and glares at me, then walks back to her booth. This woman is in her 60's and she's acting like a preschooler.

Mom was running late (of course) so it was all me for the beginning of the show. Most people here know me, so they ask to see specific quilts, or get things out that they've asked me to set aside for them.

I get a ton of comments on how awesome my work is, and even get a personal invitation to be a vendor at the city's summer pop culture convention.

We did have help packing up and I was so exhausted after the show that I went to bed at 8:30 and didn't wake up until noon the next day.

Round 3 - Domination

Since I have a show every weekend this time of year, I pretty much keep the car loaded constantly. This show is one of my favorites (I was on TV!), and I help out a lot at this show.

The coordinator for this show works really hard to get a good mix of different businesses and doesn't have them all next to each other. Unlike one show I was at with 90% jewelry and I was right next to another sewing booth.

We were setting up at this show and mom told me that she was a perfect parent and I made up the abuse and I belong in an institution.

At this show I am in the 2nd biggest room, and there is another quilter in the room with me. She's a nice enough person - she agrees with me that people don't understand the work that goes into quilts. Her solution is to use the cheapest materials possible and quilts them really sloppily. I will call her L.

L fawns all over me at this show. Why? Because people are drawn to my booth of awesome quilts and then while they're still deciding and walking around, L sells them one of her crappy cheapy quilts. She always walks past my booth when she's restocking her booth and gives me a huge smile. I'm so glad for her that she can use my hard work to sell her own sub-par quilts.

The customers at this show are usually pretty nice, aside from the turning noses up and giving me dirty looks when they read the price tags. I'm sorry that I need to support my family. I should be honored that people stop to look at my work and just give it away.

At this show I was also approached by a friend of my aunt's. She has a high end handmade show and she wants me in her show. After confirming the date and location, I decided to do it. Later my aunt tells me that she's wanted a good quilter in her show for years. L used to do her show, but she was kicked out for grabbing people's hands and dragging them to her booth. Another quilter "C" was kicked out for having sloppy work.

I've known C for a while. We're in some of the same FB groups for people to buy local handmade items. I used to post a photo every time I finished a quilt, talking about how long the quilt took and what kinds of fabric I used. C would respond within 5 minutes that I was scamming people and she could make the exact same quilt for half price or less. After a couple months of that, I left. I've met C at shows and she doesn't know how to act professionally. She doesn't wash anything before she puts it up for sale. I know because everything at her booth is covered with dog hair. She was rude to me when we met, asking me "What the f- was wrong with me for charging so much money." She then called me a stupid bitch and said she'd gladly take all the quilting orders from me. She doesn't do a lot of shows anymore because most have kicked her out for being rude to customers.

Round 4 - Extinction

This is a new show for me. It's Black Friday weekend. They've done lots of advertising, so I am hoping for some sales. I had a fight with my mother, so I'm flying solo at this show. I got everything set up all nice and even have a bowl of candy at my booth. Everyone had nice things to say to me at this show, but I didn't sell a single thing. It was nice to get compliments all day, but I wasted an entire day, not to mention gas and rent money to be here.

Round 5 - Are you freaking kidding me?!

Another new show for me. It's at the same venue as Really Big Craft Show. Again, they do a lot of advertising, and it's geared more towards higher- quality items and local boutiques. I was told I was going to be one of 2 local quilters, out of 250 vendors which is fine with me. I get a late start driving down to set up and get stuck in traffic and end up over 2 hours late. I was lucky to get a close parking spot so I could unload. One of my good friends was supposed to be next to me, but we had a bad ice storm in my area and she lost power for almost a week, so she dropped out of the show. I nearly throw my back out getting set up, but the booth looks awesome. I am hopeful that it's going to be a good show.

I walk in the morning of the show and it looks like every other booth has some kind of quilt in it. I talked to a few of the other vendors and they said that someone they know quilts and they'd put them in their booth as a favor. Well awesome. Hopefully people are looking for quality, but I felt really discouraged.

Show opens and customers come flooding in. Most don't even bother stopping at my booth. Some other vendors come by to say hi and do some shopping. They agree that the quilts are beautiful but say they need to be much cheaper in order to sell them.

Got a terrible stabbing pain in my abdomen around lunchtime. Nothing I could do about it at the show, and I was glad that it wasn't anything serious.

Finally in the afternoon, some customers stopped at my booth. They came in to look at the quilts, then saw the price tags. "You want how much? Your quilts are trash! You're a thief and a scammer!" Great.

Another lady came in and looks really excited to see me.
    Lady: "I'm so glad you're here!"
    Me: "Glad to be here."
    L: "You were here last year, right?"
    M: "No this is my first year here."
    L: "No, you were here last year. I bought one of those fabric bags that you put your plastic bags in. I don't see any here this year though."
    M: "I know what you're talking about, but I've never made those."
    L: "I bought one from you last year! I just love it and think it's wonderful!"
    M: "But I wasn't here last year."
    L: "Of course you were, I bought one of those bag things from you last year."
    M: "I've never made those, ma'am. Maybe you're thinking of (other vendor who actually makes those)."
    L: "No I bought it from you, last year. I really love it!"
    M: "I wasn't here last..." *sigh* "I'm glad you like it."
    She gives me a huge grin and walks off.

A family came in and they looked at the twin size quilts I had hanging up. The kids excitedly pointed out the quilts they liked and I answered all their questions and then let them look. Finally the dad turns around.
    Dad: "We'll take this one." *holds out a $20 bill*
    Me: "Sir, that's a $300 quilt."
    Dad: "Oh alright fine." *rolls his eyes and offers me $50.*
    Me: "Sir, that's a $300 quilt."
    Dad: "It's worth $50, you want to sell it or not?"
    Me: "Sir, $50 won't even cover the cost of materials. The quilt is priced at $300."
    Dad: "No, it's $50. Take it or leave it."
    Me: "I'm afraid I'll have to leave it, sir."
    Dad: "You're stupid!" *stomps off with embarrassed family behind him*

I didn't even make booth rent at this show. I packed up quickly and drove home.

Round 6: Mercy Killing

This is the high end handmade show that I was personally invited to attend. It is being held on the complete opposite side of the city then I usually am. I am hopeful that I will get some new contacts, and sell some stuff. Because of the long drive, and the short set-up time, I ask hubs and kids for help getting set up the night before. I'm glad I did.

Despite being told that I had a 10x10 booth, I actually have an odd pentagon shaped booth with 2 8 foot sides and a corner and a weird curved wall. I was awesome and put up my gridwall where I needed to for support, then draped quilts across the gaps. No one was the wiser.

The show promoter told me to bring a lot of quilts, that I was the only person with quilts, and that I'd do really well. As I am walking out to head home I see a table set up in the hallway - before you get to the main room of the show - covered in poorly made quilts, all priced at $10. Awesome.

My aunt told me not to worry, that she usually sells out by noon and then goes home. I told her that the general public has no idea what goes into a quilt and how much they really should cost.I know mine look awesome, but people at a craft show will almost always buy the cheapest things, regardless of quality.

So after another sleepless night, I make the long drive into the show and put on my game face. I have time to do a lap around the whole show and say hi to everyone. As I am walking around, I notice a booth that seems out of place at a handmade show - it's full of cheap junk from China. My aunt has the booth next to me and is better friends with the show promoter.

So the show promoter walks over to talk to her and explain to her that this is a *handmade* show and she can't have anything for sale that's store-bought. The lady responds with "That's what I have to sell, and I'm not putting it away." Promoter comes over to Aunt and I and asks what she should do. Aunt explains that if it's a handmade show, and this other vendor is refusing to follow the rules, she needs to go home. Promoter sighs and responds that she can't just tell her to leave. Aunt and I facepalm.

Of course everyone loves my quilts at this show. I didn't hear any complaints about the prices, and Aunt was bragging about all my awards and stuff.

So I haven't sold a single quilt since the Broadway one. I'm a nervous wreck and I feel like a failure. I am seriously thinking of holding a quilt bonfire on my driveway, since I can't make money for my family doing what I am good at.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult go of it lately!

Out of curiosity, do you sell online, as well? Like Etsy or something similar?

Comment

Wow. I'm sorry people are nasty and cheap. Your quilts sound lovely! While I could never afford to buy something like you make, i certainly can admire them, and kNOW they are worth the price! My mom and I saw an exhibit last year, in one of the museums in colonial Williamsburg, on quilts. OMG they were absolutely beautiful! And some of the fabrci too, i don't know what you'd call it, but the fabric was textured as well, ALL by hand.

Comment

I've gotta second April's question. Do you have an online presence other than FaceBook?

Do you have Business Cards?

Also, how do you actually price your quilts? Like the $300 one you mention above? You said $50 didn't even cover materials. I get that.

But I'm curious about your pricing model.

I know people think your quilts are priced very high. They may be priced where they should be, but at the same time, they might need to be priced slightly lower (or even higher) than they are now.

I just did a quick Google search that basically said take the hours and multiply by a "per hour" dollar amount. So if you believe your quilting skills are "worth" $20/hour, and it takes you 25 hours to design and sew a quilt, that quilt should be minimally priced at $500. That doesn't even include materials. So depending on your "hourly rate", you may be under-pricing them.

Also, it may be helpful (but kind of pricey) to have little "informative" pamphlets at your booth to describe that you use higher-quality materials, and that you sell higher quality quilts because you take pride in your work.

I think the misconception that people have is that they can go into a "big box" store and find a "bed set" (sheets, pillow cases, comforter) for $50 or $60 (or whatever), so they believe a quilt should be that much.

Part of it, I think, is that as someone previously mentioned, some people who go to these things can't afford a $300 quilt. But at the same time, they should know that prices are naturally going to be higher at shows, because these items are made by individuals.

I live in a small town in Texas (about 18,000 people). They have an annual "festival" here where there are a number of vendors selling homemade stuff (t-shirts, jellies, wood toys, etc.). I see people wandering around the booths every year, but I don't know how many people actually buy stuff. I know I haven't. Partially because most of them don't take credit cards, and I usually don't carry cash.
        Last edited by mjr; 12-15-2015, 04:24 PM.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I've seen pictures of the amazing work you do and I think it's horrible that people simply cannot appreciate the work that goes into creating the beautiful quilts you make. As a crafter myself (I mostly crochet these days, but I have done quilting and costuming) I often cannot help but grit my teeth when somebody low-balls me for something I have made, offering me an amount that does not even cover materials. After a few times of that sort of thing it's hard to be polite when you tell them to either pay the sticker price or sod off. And it probably doesn't help that some people do these crafts simply as hobbies and don't give a damn if they make any money, which again affects people like yourself. I am so sorry

I can't remember...do you have an etsy site? Or a FB page to sell from? Perhaps that will help to at least recoup some costs.

Comment

I don't see a problem with posting an "ALL PRICES FIRM" sign, either.

Of course, we know SCs don't read signs, so it might not do any good, but it might still be something to consider.

Comment

I can speak to her quality as I have two pillow cases she was so kind as to make for me. They're wonderful and my husband knows better than to touch them because they're MINE. lol

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if it would help but people in different parts of the country might be more likely to spend on handmade items. Or at least places where the cost of living is higher. $300 for a twin quilt is honestly not expensive to me. I couldn't currently afford it, but it's a completely reasonable price. I know for a fact that my parents spent more than that on just their sheets, (Cali king bed) and about that much on a down comforter, plus the cover. Places around here, like Seattle, are a good bet for some handmade things. Purses/handbags sell like hotcakes, or so I am told by people who do shows down there. But this is a place where people do seem to appreciate it more. Either that or they won't buy it, because they want to try to make it themselves. Oh, can you somehow use the word "upcycle"? Because that's a freaking guaranteed sale here.

Also, don't burn those quilts, omg. No.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I have an Etsy shop, but I've only been able to sell potholders and small stuff since September.

Since I raised my prices to a more "reasonable" level, I always bring a Square with me, so I can take credit cards.

Technically my prices are still wholesale, I'm charging for materials and a little bit over min. wage, but as hubs reminds me - I live in Oklahoma, which is one of the poorest states. I can't really charge what the quilts are worth. Hell one of my blue ribbon quilts is priced at $475 for a twin and I get yelled at almost every day about it.

A lot of people that do shows are just selling quilts because "grandma does this to stay sane so we might as well get some money out of it". Most of the "professional quilters" that I know just use the cheapest fabrics they can find and do the quickest sewing they can on them and sell them cheap. I'm sorry, but I'm a "fabric snob" I think everything I make deserves the best.
                  Last edited by Kanalah; 12-15-2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    I have an Etsy shop, but I've only been able to sell potholders and small stuff since September.
                    It's a bit more difficult for people to get a good look and touch/feel them, and I can't access it here from the office (I don't think), but what are quilts going for on eBay?

Technically my prices are still wholesale, I'm charging for materials and a little bit over min. wage
                    Well, you know you don't want to use subpar materials, so you have to stick to what you're doing as far as quality goes.

I can't really charge what the quilts are worth.
                    Is it possible for you to somehow or another make lower-end quilts, and still turn a profit? I'm not saying to do it, just wondering if it's possible.

Hell one of my blue ribbon quilts is priced at $475 for a twin and I get yelled at almost every day about it.
                    I chalk this up to something you said earlier. People just don't know about the costs of high-quality quilts.

But I'd also like to ask another question: How far are your trips for these shows? Are there "wealthier" areas around Oklahoma City? I know here in Texas there are numerous "wealthy" cities, just in the Dallas area.

Here's something else: I have no doubts that your quilts are high quality, but have you considered what and how you're selling?

Remember: You're selling more than quilts. You're selling YOU, and YOUR skills. You're also selling quality, elegance, comfort, warmth, happiness and joy.

If you get the opportunity, check out the books "Selling the Invisible" and "You, Inc."

The first one is about "service marketing", but I believe that some of the lessons can be extrapolated and used for selling goods. The second one is all about selling yourself.

And this may be a weird suggestion, but do you have a "bill of materials" for your quilts? If you have that, along with a "cost per yard", along with how much you used, that might help to "justify" the prices some.

Comment

Best wishes for dealing/avoiding relative stress.

These people are advertising 'cot' quilts for $240, I assume that's smaller than your twin quilts? https://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pa...ock1List.shtml

It might be very much worth pushing some of your lovely quilts online.
                      I'm not sure of the American equivalent, but over here we have http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/ which lets smaller companies join and sell though their website.

Comment

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but what's the deal with your mom? From your posts she seems absolutely horrible and you'd probably be better off without her being in your business.

Comment

Noooo! Don't burn your quilts until I can afford one. I've been saving my money, but so far I only have $150 saved up to spend on me stuff. Darn cute nieces and nephews who need Christmas presents. I'd feel horrible guilty to spend "their" money on me.

Can you give me a ballpark figure on a queen sized quilt? I've been thinking that it would be around $600 and I didn't want to enter negotiations until I had that much saved up.

Comment

My queen size quilts start at $500. Unless you're wanting something uber-complex it won't be more then $600.

Comment

I wish you lived closer to where I am and could do the Annual Mega Art Fair here. I think I've PM'd you about it before. But I know people who save up for an entire year in order to spend big at the show.

My parents have recently gotten into quilting so I see how much work goes into one. Even a "practice quilt" to learn different techniques takes a long time. Several people made quilts for us when the Minion was born and I cherish every one of them.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X