Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a couple of large art fairs here. I apply every year to both of them and am always denied because they don't consider quilts to be art.

I did apply to a big pop culture convention that's held in the summer. I've met some of the people who help put it on and they love my work. Looking over the list of last year's vendors, there's no one who sews who does this show. I will find out in January if I make it.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I used to do craft shows (before beaded jewelry became such an oversaturated market that nobody could make a dime) and one thing that really broke me was the lying liars who promote and manage these events.

Almost all of them vowed they would not accept low-end crafts or mass-made imports. Some of them had extensive - I mean extensive - jurying processes. But if show time was drawing near, and they still had unsold spots? Anyone could get in, including people whose main "craft" was opening boxes of imported crap. It broke my heart.

Crafters really need to go after these shady promoters, but the problem is there's always a supply of fresh meat to feed the machine. Sites like Sunshine Artist help but it's still really tough. I definitely feel your pain!

One possibility that I'm sure you've considered, but I'll just throw it out there: Try small galleries and gift shops in local hotels, if you're anywhere near a tourist area. A lot of them take work on consignment - you don't get as much but you don't have to do the back-breaking, bladder-busting job of manning a booth for 12 hours. I hooked up with a gallery buyer at a local show and we had a long, fairly profitable relationship where I mailed her jewelry and she mailed me checks.
      Last edited by wordgirl; 12-16-2015, 08:31 PM.

Comment

To expand on wordgirl, Recently a big thing around here is little shops in touristy areas that feature art by various local crafters. And these tend to be very high end artists. Paintings, sculptures, jewelry, and I'm sure quilts. My husband bought be a pendant at one, where the lady paints itty bitty paintings and then makes necklaces out of them. When I walk into one of these stores, it FEELS pricey and upscale, rather than that sort of bargain feeling you get walking into those big craft shows.

Is something like this something you can look in to? Go to some of these locally owned shops and talk with the owners about displaying your quilts?

Comment

something like this -http://wearethesocialclub.com/shop/

Comment

Mom and I had a "breakup" this year after show #3 and I did the rest solo. It's just hard for me to find someone who wants to hang out all day and essentially do nothing, then tear down and put everything up. I have co-workers that will come do a show with me, if I give them enough lead time.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
              Mom and I had a "breakup" this year after show #3 and I did the rest solo. It's just hard for me to find someone who wants to hang out all day and essentially do nothing, then tear down and put everything up. I have co-workers that will come do a show with me, if I give them enough lead time.
              I'm still of the mindset that others have said. It's going to be in your best interest to find someone else (friend, co-worker, whoever) to do these shows with, other than your mom. It's obvious she's toxic.

I wonder if it's possible that people coming to your booth are getting "negative vibes", so to speak, because of the spats you have with your mother.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Other States

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                I have an Etsy shop, but I've only been able to sell potholders and small stuff since September.

Since I raised my prices to a more "reasonable" level, I always bring a Square with me, so I can take credit cards.

Technically my prices are still wholesale, I'm charging for materials and a little bit over min. wage, but as hubs reminds me - I live in Oklahoma, which is one of the poorest states.
                Considering I have offered $1200 for a handmade quilt that I liked and the owner still would not sell, a $300 quilt that I like would mine, Mine, MINE!

Have you considered going to another state to sell?

Traveling for me from Canada to Florida takes me two days of driving so I think you will have no problem getting to another state within a day's driving.

You need to go where people are not so cheap!

Comment

they don't consider quilts to be art.
                  I'm sorry, WHAT???

They are idiots.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

*hugs Kanalah*

Don't burn your quilts. They are art, and you aren't overcharging.

<3
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I can also vouch for the loveliness of Kanalah's work. If postage from the US to Aussieland weren't so prohibitive....

Bast and I were talking about this thread, and Bast just said that I'm always using Kanalah's quilt, talking about it, talking about how significant it is to me (Kanalah made it for me at a bad time in my life, and it's a symbol of friendship for me).

The quilt hasn't even faded in the .. what, five years I've had it? There're no worn spots, no places where it's even hinting at fraying. Every seam is sound. The padding is still completely even. The only difference I've noticed is that it's gotten a bit softer.
                      Last edited by Seshat; 12-18-2015, 03:32 AM.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

That's a very sweet thing to say Seshat.

High quality materials, attention to detail, and love make all the difference in handmade goods. <3

Comment

Maybe instead of pricing at $300, you could have it say: "GREAT DEAL! 25% OFF, NOW ONLY $299!!"

Might generate some more bites than just a tag that says $300. Do you have a link to some pictures of your quilts? I'd love to see.
                          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                            Maybe instead of pricing at $300, you could have it say: "GREAT DEAL! 25% OFF, NOW ONLY $299!!"

Might generate some more bites than just a tag that says $300. Do you have a link to some pictures of your quilts? I'd love to see.
                            This is a very good idea CC2...

It's the old "99 cent mentality", and it makes it appear that the quilt is on sale.

The only problem I can see is people saying, "It's 25% off...what's wrong with it??"

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                              The only problem I can see is people saying, "It's 25% off...what's wrong with it??"
                              Simple - it was a custom order, and the buyer decided not to go through with the transaction after the quilt was finished.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                                Simple - it was a custom order, and the buyer decided not to go through with the transaction after the quilt was finished.
                                Heck, I'll go along with that, Wolfie.

Comment

Working...
                                X