Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And you wouldn't last one day here....

Story from my coworker: she was trying to help someone on the phone who was having trouble explaining what she wanted. Finally, exasperated, she asked my coworker, "Why are you so dumb? Oh, I forgot: you work in retail. You people are idiots who didn't go to school." Actually, this coworker is in school: high school. Even if she wasn't, she's not an idiot. Besides, we all know school does not equal intelligence, not in the least. The ignoramus was on the other end of the phone.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I hope your coworker just hung up the phone at that point, I would have.

Comment

People like that used to make me scream. Yes, i work PT in retail, but that doesn't mean I"m stupid. I have a BA and MS. Not only that, but I can't tell you how many customers thought it would be fun to work in my store, and didn't last long at all.

I guess they thought it would be all sunshine and roses, playing with clothes all day, vs. having to actually straighten, fold, put away, help customers, empty trash, vacuum, etc.

Comment

Those people that criticize us wouldn't last a day in retail. This one couldn't even explain what she wanted.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Saw that too

I went to college for four years to get my data processing degree.

My bedroom had shelves of computer books that I had read multiple times to learn as much as I could from them.

But I had customers whom call the PC box the 'hard drive'. The monitor 'TV screen', and had no idea what the size of their RAM vs the size of their hard drive.

Yet, these same people would try to claim I did not know anything about computers when I said I need to run some tests to find out the causes of their problems.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            I went to college for four years to get my data processing degree.

My bedroom had shelves of computer books that I had read multiple times to learn as much as I could from them.

But I had customers whom call the PC box the 'hard drive'. The monitor 'TV screen', and had no idea what the size of their RAM vs the size of their hard drive.

Yet, these same people would try to claim I did not know anything about computers when I said I need to run some tests to find out the causes of their problems.
            I love those. I've gotten people who call their tower the "modem" or who think it's the power supply and the "computer" is in their monitor.

At least my customers don't argue when I tell them what their issue is. (most of the time) although I also have 6'1/350 pounds on my side and you know what they say about the 800 pound gorilla. Where does it sit? Wherever it wants. If the 800 pound gorilla tells you what's wrong with your computer you better listen.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
              ... If the 800 pound gorilla tells you what's wrong with your computer you better listen.
              Or you'll have the first rear end with an "Intel inside" sticker.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                I hope your coworker just hung up the phone at that point, I would have.
                Yep. Me too. Sorry, 37 years at my job means I don't put up with this anymore.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You can't win with someone like that. If you can't understand them, you're stupid. And if they can't understand you, you're stupid.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    You can't win with someone like that. If you can't understand them, you're stupid. And if they can't understand you, you're stupid.
                    Sure you can. "If you're so damned smart, YOU figure it out."

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                      Sure you can. "If you're so damned smart, YOU figure it out."
                      That's a great line.

Comment

She should have gone all Qui Gonn on her.
                        "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent"
                        "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                        Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Sadly Apollo, I fear that would've gone "zip!"... right over her head

The Force can't fix stupid
                          "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Not much can fix "stupid and reluctant to admit that or do anything about it".....

Comment

Working...
                            X