This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ruined Christmas!

The store I work in closed at 7pm today. A customer came up to me at about 6.30 and said that he would like to buy two Amazon Fire tablets. I told the customer that we had sold the last one about 2 hours previously, and was told the thread title.

I'm so proud!

Sure, it wasn't the SC's fault for waiting until CHRISTMAS EVE. At all. No chance.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I kn ow, 5 minutes later, a customer came up asking for 2 Samsung tablets, unfortunately I only had one, customer was fine with that

Comment

This is called, "Hell, I don't know what to get him/her/them, oh wait, I'll buy a tablet! Yeah!"
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That person lucked out. I've had two Kindles go tits-up. The first one juuuuuuust after the warranty ended. Amazon replaced it with an obviously-refurbished unit with a fucked-up screen.

So I bought A Samsung Galaxy tablet. It's given me no problems and I've had it a few years now.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I usually get emails around December 20th, asking for a custom queen size quilt for Christmas. I always politely direct them to my website, because that's what I have ready to go. Usually I get all-caps profanity ranting in return.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              That person lucked out. I've had two Kindles go tits-up. The first one juuuuuuust after the warranty ended. Amazon replaced it with an obviously-refurbished unit with a fucked-up screen.

So I bought A Samsung Galaxy tablet. It's given me no problems and I've had it a few years now.
              Which is totally the opposite of my experience with Kindles. My first one lasted 8 years. I dropped it in water, grabbed it up and wiped it off and stupidly turned it on. It worked. I was walking out the door with it in my hand, the door hit my elbow and I flung the thing so hard that it bounced several times and then slid across the pavement. Not a scratch. My cat chewed on the corner. OK, it did get scratched then, but I thought that was a beauty mark. It finally died when I had it in my back pocket and sat on it. Kindle screens don't take well to being bent.

My second Kindle was a paperwhite. I broke the screen less than 6 months after getting it. Free replacement, brand new device. 3rd Kindle, again a paperwhite, left it in the car in the summer. In Phoenix AZ Poor thing died well out of warranty. Free replacement, brand new device. I love those things!

Quoth Kanalah View Post
              I usually get emails around December 20th, asking for a custom queen size quilt for Christmas. I always politely direct them to my website, because that's what I have ready to go. Usually I get all-caps profanity ranting in return.
              That wasn't me, I'm totally innocent of those charges! (Just in case anyone noticed me asking about the price for a custom queen size quilt.)

Comment

My Kindle has lasted a while but I lost it...so I guess it depends who supplied it. Perhaps you got a bum one to start with.

My Nexus 7 (2012, first gen) is very faithful but the charge port got fucked up, probably my fault. $10 part and it's still trucking. (Thanks youtube!)
                Last edited by Tama; 12-25-2015, 05:18 AM.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  My second Kindle was a paperwhite. I broke the screen less than 6 months after getting it. Free replacement, brand new device. 3rd Kindle, again a paperwhite, left it in the car in the summer. In Phoenix AZ Poor thing died well out of warranty. Free replacement, brand new device. I love those things!
                  Ah, but the e-reader line is different than the Kindle Fire. Irv was talking about the Fire. My Kindle e-reader is old now, maybe 5 years old, and still going strong.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Congratulations for barely making the deadline. You almost didn't have a chance to ruin a Christmas.

And speaking of Kindles, I barely use the actual item anymore. I use the free Kindle app.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I used to use my Kindle when I wanted to do something else with my tablet. It has its uses :3
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Ah, but the e-reader line is different than the Kindle Fire. Irv was talking about the Fire. My Kindle e-reader is old now, maybe 5 years old, and still going strong.
                        My original Kindle Fire I got as a birthday gift and it lasted 2 years before it just stopped taking a charge. When I got the replacement went for a Kindle Fire HD ( decided to upgrade). The only reason I went for a new one is that I wanted to go a bit bigger (the last 2 had been 7") and went for the 8.9". I love it but would like to go for the 10 inch next. Maybe someday.
                        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I have the Kindle app on both my phone and my tablet, which are both Samsungs. I only have the app for the occasions I don't have my e-reader with me. I really don't like reading on my phone or tablet. Too bright? I even have the background set to black, since that seems to help.

And the screens are annoying and finicky. I try to tap to turn a page, and half the time it doesn't do anything but bring down the top menu. When I try to swipe to turn a page, it half-turns, then falls back on my current page. I promise, I'm not terrible with mobile devices. I just don't do well with this one thing. But I adore my Kindle, and it's an old Touch.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            My mistake, I'm sorry Irv. I shouldn't post after indulging in eggnog, my reading comprehension tends to go downhill when rum is involved.

Yes, the e-reader line is different than tablets, it makes sense that the e-readers are more robust than a tablet AND that the Kindle company would be more willing to replace them with new products. I'm convinced that Amazon makes much more money selling the books than the devices, so Amazon wants their customer base to have the devices needed to encourage people to buy more books.

(They don't make a lot of money selling me books, I get mine from the library or other free sites.)

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                              My Nexus 7 (2012, first gen) is very faithful but the charge port got fucked up, probably my fault. $10 part and it's still trucking. (Thanks youtube!)
                              I've had the same Nexus 7 since earlier this year. Got my used for $50 thanks to CowBoom. Pretty good tablet even if it's a few years old but thankfully pretty easy to get it's version of Android up to date and still pretty speedy overall. Just wish I could find a good case with stand ability and a strap to hold it similar to the Hisense Sero 7 Pro I have sitting here.
                              New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                              New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X