Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you want a discount on top of a discount?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want a discount on top of a discount?

I am helping out at my store's second location - a kiosk in a different mall - today instead of my usual location.

Rain deer scarf
    Lady: How much is your rain deer scarf?
    Me: It was originally $10, but it's on sale for $7.99.
    Lady: Christmas is already over. Can you do $5?
    Me: No. It's already 20% off.
    Lady: I want to speak to my manager.

I call my manager who doesn't answer her phone.

Betty Boop Bag
    Me: The bag is originally $40, but because of a defect, it's on sale for $35.
    Lady: Can you give me $25?
    Me: No. I can give you $30.

I can't justify giving a large discount for a defect the size of my thumbnail on a bag that reaches my knee when placed on the floor.

Mall
    The final story happened last month. I was selling sweaters which normally sell for $10 but were on sale for $6.99. A mall employee (= lady) buys one of them.
    Lady: I work in the mall, so can you give me the mall employee discount (10% off)?
    Me: Ma'am, it was originally $10 and now on sale for $6.99.

If I gave her the mall employee discount on top of the heavy discount (read thirty percent), I'm worried about not making a lot of profit. If I recall, my manager bought the sweaters each at $5.
    Last edited by Water; 01-01-2016, 09:27 PM.
    It's called common sense for a reason

Quoth Water View Post
    Mall
    The final story happened last month. I was selling sweaters which normally sell for $10 but were on sale for $6.99. A mall employee (= lady) buys one of them.
    Lady: I work in the mall, so can you give me the mall employee discount (10% off)?
    Me: Ma'am, it was originally $10 and now on sale for $6.99.

If I gave her the mall employee discount on top of the heavy discount (read thirty percent), I'm worried about not making a lot of profit. If I recall, my manager bought the sweaters each at $5.
    You could have offered the mall discount off the original price instead of the sale price. But she might not have liked that. On the other hand, knowing how some SCs are, she might have taken that offer.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

IA -- That's called the Stupid Tax. I'll gladly collect that one day in and day out.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
      X