This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True story with a punchline

I used to work at a bank, but this story didn't happen to me. It happened to two of my coworkers who were opening the bank on a Saturday or Sunday. I think it was last year.

Anyway, they pulled up to the bank and got their bank keys ready. A car was parked nearby and an older (55-60 years old) married couple was inside. They pulled up next to the bank employees and seemed surprised and even annoyed to see them.

They were haughty and quickly said "why are you opening an hour late? We're going to tell the managers that you opened the bank late and made us wait here".

The employees stared back in disbelief and one said, "It's daylight savings time. You were early".

I wasn't there, so I didn't see the reaction of the couple. I bet that they were shocked to find out that they were wrong and they were using false information to intimdate and "tell on" the two employees!

It was Ann and her husband. I knew it. Sometimes, tattling on people at work just isn't enough.

DST fools all of us it seems.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Hahaha.
      Daylight savings time always makes for some good stories.
      As you may or may not know, Quebec had a ginormous storm yesterday, over 50cm of snow and drifts up to 2m high.
      Anywhoo, I called my taxi like always and they were backed up like crazy, which would make me late for work.
      I start at 9. I called my parents house at 8:50 to see if one of them could give me a ride. I had of course, woken them up. She said that my dad would drive me in to work and we hung up.
      At 9:15, my dad still wasn't at my house, so I called my parents back. My mom said they'd completely forgot about daylight savings time, and when I called she thought it was 7:50 so she figured I had lots of time to get to work
      Thankfully, while I was on the phone with her, the taxi company called to say that my cab was waiting outside, so my dad didn't have to come pick me up.

Comment

My one friend who used to do karaoke shows had interesting night when we went off DST. We were there enjoying the show until about 12:45, when he started shutting everything down.

I usually helped him pack up, so I went over to do that, and made some comment about how I didn't think he'd be doing that this early. He said, "What do you mean? It's almost 2:00."

I looked at him and said, "You forgot to turn your clock back (the little one he had attached to his equipment), didn't you?"

By this time, he already had half the system taken apart, and he wasn't about to put it all back together just for one more hour, so we just sat around and had a few more drinks.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Zipporah View Post
          Anyway, they pulled up to the bank and got their bank keys ready. A car was parked nearby and an older (55-60 years old) married couple was inside. They pulled up next to the bank employees and seemed surprised and even annoyed to see them.

They were haughty and quickly said "why are you opening an hour late? We're going to tell the managers that you opened the bank late and made us wait here".

The employees stared back in disbelief and one said, "It's daylight savings time. You were early".
          OK I am confused. when you go to DST, and you set your clocks an hour ahead. The only way this scenario could work going to DST is if the bank and all of its employess did not reset their clocks. and the bank would have been at fault.

Now if they were falling back and SC's had not done reset their clocks, then SC's would have had the wrong time and were too dumb to realize that DST was over.
          Last edited by Broomjockey; 03-10-2008, 03:50 AM. Reason: fixing quote tags

Comment

hehehe been explaining that its Day light savings all day it was priceless to see how many people came after we closed and to see others explaining it to them!

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
              OK I am confused. when you go to DST, and you set your clocks an hour ahead. The only way this scenario could work going to DST is if the bank and all of its employess did not reset their clocks. and the bank would have been at fault.

Now if they were falling back and SC's had not done reset their clocks, then SC's would have had the wrong time and were too dumb to realize that DST was over.
              I think that I got the terminology wrong then. I'm not sure if it's called DST, but the basic gist of the story is that the employees and bank were opening at the right time, but the SCs forgot to change their clocks.

DST always confused me, so I'm not sure if this was in the autumn or spring. I just know that they claimed that the bank was opening late when it was really on time. I hope that makes sense! I wasn't there so I don't know when it was, but it may have been in the autumn if that makes more sense with daylight savings time.

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post

If this happened in the fall then this would have been true.

For example, bank opens its doors at 10am and the employee's get there about 945am. Well the SC's showed up at 9am because they forgot to "Fall Back" Set there clocks back 1 hour. The SC's thought that it was really 10am when it was actually 9am

DST - Spring forward, Fall Back....It all sucks getting used to again.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Ah, the joys of living in Arizona. No DST to play with, I do have to go into work an hour early to accomodate the rest of the country though.
                  I have written my Congresswoman to see if we could propose repealing DST for the rest of the country.
                  I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
                  -The Amazing E
                  Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth Zipporah View Post

I wasn't there, so I didn't see the reaction of the couple. I bet that they were shocked to find out that they were wrong and they were using false information to intimdate and "tell on" the two employees!
                    Ten bucks says that despite the fact they were clearly wrong, they still tried to turn it around on the employees, in true SC fashion.
                    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth wanderingjoe72 View Post
                      Ah, the joys of living in Arizona. No DST to play with, I do have to go into work an hour early to accomodate the rest of the country though.
                      I have written my Congresswoman to see if we could propose repealing DST for the rest of the country.
                      What a lovely idea! I'll be the first signature on your petition.
                      "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Fun facts & pedantry...

I once, for no other reason tham that I could, wrote up a report on Dalight Saving Time (<pedant> no second 's' on Saving </pedant>). Lots of fun stuff in it.

The last formal study on the efficacy of DST (or Summer Time as it's called outside the US) was in the '70's. And it seems that even back then, the increased heating/cooling costs offset the reduced electricity/motor fuel costs. However, the reduction in fatal accidents, which occur more frequently around sunset than sunrise, are an unchallenged benefit.

More recently, a casual observation of Indiana's recent conversion to the entire state observing DST instead of only parts of the state found that observance of DST caused a slight rise in costs.

Consumer Reports did a small article recently, which can be reached HERE.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X