Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The old "I'll sue you" creeps back in...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet everyone who ever lived in a complex has a story Mine was in the military, off base housing. I worked mid shift, got home at 7 a.m. every day. Neighbor lady liked my spot, in front of her door, and since it was empty at night she just took it. 7 a.m. rolls around, and she is asleep and not answering. I parked in the next spot over (I knew that neighbor, he had a bike he parked by hs door) and left her a note. Next day, same thing, no note. I am tired and pissy after a long night, so I park right next to her car. RIGHT. NEXT. TO. My wife said she came hollering around 9 a.m. that she couldn't get into her car. She goes out, and if there was an inch between the cars it was a miracle. No freaking clue how I did that half asleep and bleary eyed . I, of course, got chewed out a bit by the wife. Not for parking, but for the fact that she had to figure out how to keep from damaging anything while they moved around.

Comment

In a few weeks, I won't have to worry about Tommy Lee anymore.

The old lady downstairs will return from down south in April. She doesn't go anywhere. Her car stays in her spot pretty much 24/7/365. Tommy Lee's prostitutes and friends won't be able to park there anymore. Ha Ha.

All I gotta do is find out a way to keep them from parking in the other neighbor's spots and the handicapped spot. Funny thing is, before the old lady downstairs went away for the winter, you'd never see strange cars parked around here.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

As the small apartment I rented while in grad school at one of the BIG Texas universities literally was two blocks from the university's football stadium, any home game was a nightmare in my neighborhood due to all the cars parked on the streets and those fans who thought our apartment lot was open to them as well. We residents quickly learned that if we were not parked in the lot the morning of a game day, there would be no space for us until the game let out. Management posted signs threatening to tow, but never followed through with the threat.

One wise ass undergrad in the complex decided that he could make a profit off this situation one Saturday, and started charging people ten dollars to park in our lot. The lot filled up quickly and he walked away with a few hundred dollars. We other residents were NOT happy and called the manager at her home while this was going on. She did nothing (as usual) until we threatened her with breach of contract for allowing this sale to happen such that we were deprived of the parking we had paid for as part of our rent. Conducting a business on the property was forbidden in our leases as well. We further informed her that we would be taking the matter and her lack of action up with the owner corporation. It never hurts to have irate law student tenants make the call. Tow trucks showed up within about an hour and a lot of P.O.'d fans returned from the game to find their cars gone.

We residents were happy to help these very angry people with the name of the wise ass undergrad and to direct them to his apartment.
        Last edited by South Texan; 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

South Texan, thats a great story! Our apartment complex is about a mile from the U of I football stadium, but we kind of have the same situation. At least the people who park here only park in the guest parking because they know they'll get towed if they're in an assigned spot.

Comment

You all think that is bad. I have one that tops all (in terms of ballsiness).

I own a townhouse. This one has it's own driveway. One side of the road has townhouses with driveways and the other side doesn't. It has "open" parking.

Our lots are always full. We had an open house to get parking permits and I was shocked at how many "families" had FOUR or FIVE cars!! No wonder parking is tight.

Anyway, every so often in the middle of the night, I would notice someone parked in my driveway?!? When I woke up they would always be gone. My cousin worked nearby, so in some sleep induced stupidity I thought it might have been him.

One Saturday afternoon, I went out to do some shopping. I drive back up (I park in my garage) and see a car in my driveway?!?!? WTF???

I block the car , get out and ask my neighbor. He's like WTF??? "Who would have the balls to do that?" I found out. Not 10 seconds after talking to my neighbor, a teen comes from across the street. I let him have the worst epitaph of curses I have ever given in my life. My neighbor quickly slams the door. The kid just casually strolls to his car and drives off. Never says a word. It was obvious he was stoned. He probably came by in the middle of the night to make a buy.

But my message must have gotten through. Haven't seen the car since or him since. Kid never uttered a word or batted and eye. I have been told on many an occasion that I am intimidating. Must have been some good stuff!!

Comment

The second he said he would've sued and threatened you I would've just said "Ok. I'll call the police as well"

No strikes, no second chances, no chance for reprive.

Comment

I can feel the pain of both people not respecting assigned parking and idiot management... my manager has told me that I cannot have cars towed out of my space because there is not adequate signage as to what the space number is or that the numbered spaces are assigned... I'm getting ready to submit a letter with my next homeowners fee check with a list of grievances to her superior... namely that property management continues to raise the homeowners fees and yet still can't get snow cleared within the mandatory 24 hours required by the county, they have gotten better but the dumpsters used to always overflow before they would bother to get them emptied, the trees overhanging the sidewalks haven't been trimmed in nearly 2 years, the balconies have severe woodrot that they are just now starting to fix, and over the summer there were entire weeks when the maintenence crew would just "forget" to remove the pool cover for the day so people could you know, use it.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

my old apt had ... technically it had enough parking, and all open. but if i wasn't parked by midnight i'd have to park in another lot and walk to my car. sucky on those freezing nights, but i always got to park at least

the one thing that pissed me off was the spot that was taken up by someone's trailer hitch. it's not a car, it's a hitch... give the spot to one of the drivers. the motorcylce annoyed me too - but only cos i usually couldn't see it until i got up to the spot and *then* i saw it was taken... but the cycle had a right to be there - more right than the hitch did at least

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    my manager has told me that I cannot have cars towed out of my space because there is not adequate signage as to what the space number is or that the numbered spaces are assigned
                    Easily fixed. Stencil paper and brush, or you may even find nice large numbers that affix to appropriate places at the hardware store. Sometimes you can find 'assigned parking: violators will be towed' signs there too.

You might even have luck buying the things and billing the complex - more likely, you'll be better off making an itemized list of costs and saying 'it'll cost you $X to put up the appropriate signage - and it's costing you $Y/week in complaint handling not to have it'.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

yah the tow thing you really cant sue over if its clearly marked.

i was threatend by one of the other tenants in our complex to have me towed out of my own spot.

occasionally i would see this car parked in my spot, i would get annoyed, honk my horn and say loudly get this car out of here now (only if it was early enough) i would see the tenants in the balcony above my car looking at me like yah im not moving

well one day my boyfriend goes to get something out of my car and see this note on my windsheild.

if you park in my spot again i will have you towed.

now im really annoyed, the next day i go directly to the office and show them the note and i tell them that if my car is towed out of my spot for any reason i will sue them and they will pay the impound fee. (i know they wont tow me but if the person who left the note does there will be an issue)

they tell me that i am in the right spot, and that no one has the right to tow my car with out their permission (ie parked in the wrong spot) and that if anything happens they will take care of it.

so i guess they did some digging and found the person who left the note, and tell them that they are the ones who are parking in the wrong spot, (im in 56 their spot is 65 but my spot just happens to be right in front of their apt)

did they even say sorry, you bet not.
                      "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

This particular apartment complex I used to live in had a huge problem with people parking illegaly. Spots weren't assigned, but they had a handicapped spot per building. They DID tow cars for parking in those spots.

One night me and hubby were sitting there and watched the tow truck guy pull up in front of our apartment with a truck attached. He gets out, starts to chain it up. This tow truck had a little lift bar that would wrap around the bottom of the tires and then lift the vehicle being towed into the air. (Important detail).

Next thing we know, owner of the truck shows up and starts to assult the driver. He (the driver) reaches the cab of the truck and grabs a camera, and gets a few pictures of 'em. (I'm on the phone to 911, and am describing the action.) The owner of the truck goes back to his truck and unchains it, then hops in, and tries to drive it off the lift. (Tow truck driver took shelter at another apartment) He rocks it back and forth, nada. A SUV shows up, woman gets out and starts shouting at him. He gets out of the truck, jumps in the SUV. (I give 911 the tag # thinking he's leaving). He backs the SUV up, drops it in drive, guns it, and HITS HIS OWN TRUCK!!!!! He tries this a few times, and when it fails to dislodge the truck from the tow truck, he jumps back into his truck, and tries to drive it off again. This time he managed to move it off the bars wrapped around the tires, but the bumper catches on the bars, and the back end of the truck is still in the air. He's dropping it in drive and reverse trying to rock it off the bars, and next thing we hear is CLANG! Then little bits of transmission start littering the ground.

He jumps out, runs to the SUV, and the cops arrive, and they arrest him. So he managed to turn a $100+ tow bill into:
                        A. Assult and battery (plus court costs and fines associated with this)
                        B. Wrecked the front of the SUV.
                        C. Wrecked the front of the truck.
                        D. Destroyed the transmission on the truck.
                        E. Wrecked the back bumper of the truck.
                        F. STILL owes the towing fee.
                        G. STILL owes the fine for parking in a handicapped spot.

Comment

I love the "Do you know who I am?" People, because I always reply with "You're not one of my employees, so get out of the department!"

Also, I haven't posted in a long time because my work place is being the world's biggest douchebag evar eleventy.
                          Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth InsanityInc View Post
                            He jumps out, runs to the SUV, and the cops arrive, and they arrest him.
                            Wow. Even I know enough to know that if you've got the claws around your tires, and they're up off the ground, you go to the control panel and start trying levers till you get the one that lowers the lift arm.

It'd certainly be a lot faster than trying to rock your car off the lift. That's just stupid- ... oh, right.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I love the I'll sue one because a friend of mine owns a law firkm i give him 15 a month to be my lawyer on the phone when someone threatens. I'll just call him up and say "I have someone here wanting to sue me for <insert perfectly legal/out of stock here>" shuts them down real fast when ythey fidn out i have a lawyer on speed dial

Comment

Working...
                              X