This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why don't you have plastic bags anymore??"

My store decided to do its part to go green and help save the environment at the beginning of February by discontinuing using plastic bags. The stated reasoning was environmental, not financial. Some of us figured that the penny pinching head manager thought this would be a great idea to save money in the short term because he would not have to order more plastic, when there's going to be no financial benefit in the long term due to the increased cost of buying more paper. Personally, I thought that totally discontinuing them was not a great idea and we should have limited quantities available for purchase by the customer if they really want them, which would probably be a faster way to end their use, not that I was consulted at all. We have reusable bags available for purchase, which I've been encouraging customers to buy because they are so versatile and easy to pack.

We used our last plastic two weeks ago and there are a quite a few customers still asking for them. Some customers like the new policy, but there are some very vocal ones who do not. When the cashiers tell them that we don't have it anymore, their response is when will more be in. They do not get that we won't be using plastic ever again unless management changes its mind. There's quite a few cashiers and baggers, including myself, who sincerely miss having them for items including eggs, cakes, and rotisserie chicken, not to mention problem credit/debit cards.

One lady who's a physical therapist complained to me about said policy last weekend. She said that plastic bags are easier for her patients, mostly elderly, to carry and easier on their backs. I told her I had nothing to do with the decision, so I was the wrong person to speak to. She continued on her spiel for almost five minutes - luckily no one was in line behind her. I told her that if she had any comments they should be directed towards management, because they sincerely appreciate customer feedback on their policies. That finally shut her up and sent her on her way. I have no idea if she called them and what they're reaction was. I hope they got a good taste of what we have had to deal with up front implementing their policy.

Just think if they did away with both plastic / paper bags, and one only had canvas bags to use. Talk about the insanity.
    HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

At my last job, we were always required to ask if the customer would like a bag. Sometimes they'd only have a couple things and sometimes they'd have a butt load, but we always had to ask. In the summer we had a couple ladies come in, who obviously weren't from around here (Because the towns surrounding mine are all very environmentally aware) asking why anyone wouldn't want a bag. These were people buying one thing. The reply was always the same,

"Some people would have bags of their own, but most people are just trying to save the environment."

They would always leave quickly.

Comment

Don't get me started on bag issues. We started selling bags FIVE MONTHS AGO and people STILL holler at us for it.
        And I mean they go mental.

Here are just a few actual customer quotes about paying five WHOLE cents per bag:

THAT'S DISGUSTING!
        You should be ashamed of yourself!
        Like Ikea needs any MORE money. (even though we donate every last penny to an environmental charity, plus still pay for the bags anyway)
        You're telling me you won't give me one free bag after I spent X dollars?
        You people are cheap "see you next Tuesday"'s!
        No, fuck you, you're not getting any more of my money.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. People fight with the cashiers all the time over this and some cashiers give in and just give them a bag for free. But not me. I'm the resident tree hugger and I must defend my cause, dammit.
        I'll take their nastiness for the greater good.

One man got on my nerves so much I finally said, "So I take it that's a no to the bags but a yes to harmful pollutants in our water and soil?"
        He gave me the cat butt face and tried to tell me how wrong I was.
        Sucks for him I'm well educated on the negative impact of plastic bags in landfills, and will gladly spout it off to any customer who gives me lip.

Edit:
        I can't wait until we start charging people for paper, too. We always have a bunch at the end of the cash lanes for people to wrap breakables and I just KNOW the majority of that is going in the garbage.
        Though personally I think we should eliminate the paper option altogether. I get that people are worried about breaking glass items, but look, if you drop your bag then regardless as to whether or not you wrapped your stuff in paper it's still going to break.
        The paper is useless and a complete waste.
        Last edited by rerant; 03-07-2008, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Rerant, it's so insane that people get their panties in a bunch over 5 cents for a bag. Hell, last time I was at Ikea I bought one of the giant blue bags (69 cents?) and I love having it around because it's so useful (laundry, groceries, my immense loads of art supplies or craft items). People need to get a life...

I do think that there should at least be an option to buy bags at the OP's store, though, seeing as a lot of people don't think to take reusable bags with them everywhere (they should, though....).

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
            Rerant, it's so insane that people get their panties in a bunch over 5 cents for a bag. Hell, last time I was at Ikea I bought one of the giant blue bags (69 cents?) and I love having it around because it's so useful (laundry, groceries, my immense loads of art supplies or craft items). People need to get a life...
            I could not possibly agree with you more. Right before we started selling plastic bags we sold our blue ones for 50cents (now they're back to the regular price of a whopping $1) and yet all the people who bought them either never came back, or decided they would never use their reusable bags again.

I push the reusable bags like crack, though. Whenever someone has a larger order I give them my same speech.
            "You know, with this much stuff it would just make your life so much easier to grab one of the blue bags. Plus you'll never have to buy another one."
            Some people say, "Hey, you're right, I'll go get one," and some accuse me of trying to scam them for money, since the store does keep the money from the sale of the blue bags.

Ya can't win for losing with these people, I swear.

Comment

I love the reusable bag I got at Whole Foods 2 weeks ago - nice, sturdy, pretty. And every time you bring it back to use it, you get $.05 off your sale! Not much, but I would use it anyway the rare times I go there and use other store's reusables.

If I'd remember to take the darn things in the store from my car when I go shopping, that is!

Comment

I bet you any amount of money the woman didn't complain the managers.

Most people dont' want a solution. They just want to complain. To anyone.

Comment

I love the reusable bags.
                  We've got this set for grocery shopping that comes in really handy!

People whine to much about it. I could understand if you couldn't afford the bags, but, ya, otherwise they are just being cheap.
                  Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

I can understand wanting to wrap glass, there's a reasonable chance when it goes kerchinkle it will remain inside the wrapping instead of getting shards into everything.
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

rerant . . .from personal experience . . . the paper helps keep the glass items from rubbing against one another and causing scratches, breaks, and cracks . . .not for if the item is dropped.

I turn around and save that paper for cleaning windows, stuffing tennis shoes while drying, and camp fire starter aid. (I don't subscribe to any newspapers)

Comment

There's this Sav-A-Lot that my mom shops at and they don't use bags at all there. You have to supply your own or some boxes and/or cartons and crates. They only do it for the financial reasons.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Imagine a store that has no bags at all, not paper, not plastic, not even niftey blue bags (I do like them blue ones though, got 2 at the house). The only option you have would be to use discarded boxes that the products came shipped in and were removed from when they were put on the shelf. Just imagine how people would react, oh yeah, they would pay 50 bucks a year just for the privilage to shop there. Any guesses what store I'm refering to.

Answer below:
                          Yup Costco
                          Answer above:

People are silly.
                          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                            Any guesses what store I'm refering to.
                            I love that place.

One thing about paper/plastic/reusable. I used to have to take the bus, and I would carry my lunch in with me in a plastic bag. I would go home with the bag tucked in a front pocket. Let's see you do that with paper or reusable.

I do have a reusable bag I got at Stater Bros, thought. I have never reused it.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

don't know if this is true or not, but i heard that the environmental impact producing paper bags is similar to the impact plastic bags have on the environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X