X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Lunacy

Not sucky, but funny.

We have 2 exit doors in the Laundromat. One in the front that leads to the main street and one in the back that leads to a parking lot. I had a lady go out the front door and run back in hurriedly asking me to let her use the phone to call 911 because her car had been stolen. As she was explaining this to the 911 dispatcher she happened to glance outside through the back glass door and her face turned white. She told the dispatcher to never mind, that she parked her car in the back instead of the front.

The case of the missing clothes.

I had a lady come in to pick up her clothes after having dropped them off for wash and fold. She gave me her name and when I went to look for them they weren’t there. I asked her if they could be under a different name and she said no. Confused, I went and looked again, just to make sure I was not mistaken. No dice. I had 4 batches of clothes all with common names for the area. Smith, Jones, White and Black. Her name was very long, like Imatotaldumbass, or something with at least that many syllables. I absolutely had no idea what to do and thought that this might qualify as important business so I called my friend who worked that morning. She told me that they were paid for and picked up already. I relayed the information to the customer.

SC: Well, damn him! He made me come all the way down here for nothing.
    ME: I’m sorry about that.
    SC: I called him at work to pick them up on his way home but he always forgets so I came down.
    ME: Well, he’s getting better. Maybe you guys just crossed paths and he’s home now with them.
    SC: He was home when I left. I just figured he forgot them since he always does.
    ME: Didn’t you ask him before you left?
    SC: No, I just knew he forgot them. He always forgets.

Seriously? She left the house after her husband got there and didn’t bother asking him if he stopped for the laundry and didn’t bother looking around for it before she brought her ass all the way down here?

Not sucky, just a WTF moment.

Friday night I actually got asked if we give military discounts. At a Laundromat? Seriously?

And to end on a high note...

The lady who works Sundays at the laundry has decided to retire kind of unexpectedly. She’s 67 and a really nice lady. (we call her Sunny and the name fits her to a “T”) This also explains why the owner called me at work last night and asked me to work her shift today to which I agreed.

Today, I get another call at work. The owner has asked me if I want the shift permanently, which I really didn’t but he twisted my arm, or rather, played to my weakness (money) and offered me a nice little deal to work Sunday. Basically, my pay is going up by 80% even though my hours are only going up by 67%. So, starting this weekend, I will be working at the Laundromat 3 days a week. My normal Friday and Saturday from 3 to 9 PM and now Sunday from 9 to 5. Even nicer is the fact that we do not do the fluff and fold service on Sunday which is the laundry’s busiest self-serve day. All I have to do is show up and keep things organized.

And how was your week?
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
    Friday night I actually got asked if we give military discounts. At a Laundromat? Seriously?
    Yup, seriously. My mom used to get a discount when she'd have dad's uniforms done because he was an officer. **shrug** maybe it's more common in towns that neighbor large bases?
    Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

That would be all well and good, if it were a dry cleaners. This is a laundromat where the prices are set by the number of quarters you feed the machine. 5 aren't enough to get the coin slider to operate. I have no way of changing the price or even altering the machines. We have a local Army Reserve base close by and if I could, I would most definitely give them a discount, but it is a physical impossibility. Just as it would be for any fixed price business.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
        That would be all well and good, if it were a dry cleaners. This is a laundromat where the prices are set by the number of quarters you feed the machine. 5 aren't enough to get the coin slider to operate. I have no way of changing the price or even altering the machines. We have a local Army Reserve base close by and if I could, I would most definitely give them a discount, but it is a physical impossibility. Just as it would be for any fixed price business.
        Was he looking for self serve or wash and fold? If the latter, you could simply subsidize it a bit, especially as there's a premium for having the work done for you.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Oh, OK, I get what you guys mean now. No, she was doing it herself. It wasn't like she was doing a month's laundry either. She did 3 loads.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
            Oh, OK, I get what you guys mean now. No, she was doing it herself. It wasn't like she was doing a month's laundry either. She did 3 loads.
            Ah. Okay, if she was talking about the number of quarters per load then she was just an wretch playing the military-wife-entitlement game everywhere she goes... and I'm right there with the whisky foxtrot tango
            please accept my apologies for the supposition.
            Last edited by Foxglove8778; 03-10-2008, 05:44 AM. Reason: punctuation change for better expression of intent
            Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
              please accept my apologies for the supposition.
              I will as long as you accept my apology for not clarifying in my post that this was standard self-serve. Thanks for the comment and, again, sorry.

Comment

A laundromat that does it all for you?

Or is this a dry cleaners?
                Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

I suppose even in self service you could offer a military discount, but I suspect it'd be more trouble than its worth, after all, you could just put in one quarter for them for example, or ifn you machines could take tokens too (IIRC the coin mechs are too simple to take mixed money types on washers though), you could simply give them one token for each load to substitute for a quarter.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

*facepalm*

argh; why do they have to ask such stupid things in places where it should be fairly obvious that it's not a realistic offer?

yes, i can understand the 'tight money' situation most military people have (been there, done that) but c'mon, it's a laundromat, are they expecting a special button on the machines that offers a discount??

MORE WTFNESS.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                    X