X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look where being nice gets me

Yeah, this' a story from yesterday.
    I checked out a couple. One of them hands me a $100 bill for a $15 purchase. "I don't think I have enough to cash that..."
    "Oh, man, I need to get this broken."
    I open my till, and actually do have enough to break it, so I offer to do it for him, once I finish with the change for the woman. He says, "Okay."
    Now, I checked it for authenticity. It passed. Cool, so I start pulling out twenties.
    He stops me to say, "Can I get 4 20s, a ten, and two fives?"
    "Er, no... see, I have no tens..."
    "Well, can I get four fives then?"
    Grumble, grumble "I suppose so, but that'll leave me short..."
    In other words, NO, Jackass! I was gonna break it so it'd be more manageable. Not so you can play bank teller!
    But I did it anyway.
    "I call murder on that!"

I hate that. We only have just so many bills to begin with
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

This is a common trick for "quick change" artists.

They pull out big bills, and start asking for specific change back.

The bad ones fail.
      The "ok" ones usually get their purchase discounted.
      The great ones end up with more money than they started with.
      "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

Quoth Bobsentme View Post
        This is a common trick for "quick change" artists.

They pull out big bills, and start asking for specific change back.

The bad ones fail.
        The "ok" ones usually get their purchase discounted.
        The great ones end up with more money than they started with.
        I watched one work in McD's. By time he got done we was a good $30 ahead and didn't pay for the food.

I tried to inform the teenage manager but he said the clerk knew what she was doing. Oh well.
        SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

If a customer hands me a large bill for a small purchase, I will ask them if they want any specific bills. What they say first is what they get. IF i believe they are trying to trick me ALL the money goes in the drawer and the Head Cashier gets to sort it out. we have have had it happen to us several times, one a scammer got over $100. I don't even want to know how the cashier screws up that bad.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            Yeah, this' a story from yesterday.
            I checked out a couple. One of them hands me a $100 bill for a $15 purchase.
            That makes $85 to give back

"Er, no... see, I have no tens..."
            "Well, can I get four fives then?"
            Grumble, grumble "I suppose so, but that'll leave me short..."
            In other words, NO, Jackass! I was gonna break it so it'd be more manageable. Not so you can play bank teller!
            But I did it anyway.
            And thats $100 you gave her. You got cheated.

Comment

so he wanted $100 bucks back after his purchase.

scammers suck

Comment

massive fail; you want your big bill cashed, you get what you get. don't like it? there's this amazing new type of business that handles this type of transaction many times per day, perhaps you've heard of it?

it's called a bank, moron; take your happy ass there.

had a few scammers try that on me, and it failed.

*grumbles about big bills*
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I never had a problem with short change artists. Mostly because once the bill was in the drawer and I started counting out the change, it was the point of no return. No, you can't have the hundred back and pay with a 20, to "make it easy on me." If you wanted to make it easy on me, you would have given me the 20 in the first place.

No you can't make special requests in how you get it back once I've started counting. In fact, any attempts to do so will earn a polite "Please don't distract me while I'm counting." If you continue to attempt to do so, I will give you a blank stare and inform you that no, I don't take requests when it comes to change, certainly not while I am in the middle of counting, and furthermore, if you can't be quiet, I will stop counting, continuing to stare at you, until such time as you are.

If you still try to talk to me about numbers when I do resume counting, I will again stop and stare at you until you are quiet. If you have distracted me to the point where I have lost track of how much I am giving you, congratulations. All the money immediately goes back in the drawer, and I call a different manager to count it down. The amount of the overage is then your change, and no, you still don't get to request how you receive it.

And yes, I am perfectly willing do all this during the holiday rush, because I will make it painfully obvious that it is your fault the line is now at a dead stop.

Comment

Quoth ruinwen View Post
                    That makes $85 to give back
                    And thats $100 you gave her. You got cheated.
                    Nope.
                    There were two people standing in front of me, a guy and a girl. Girl paid her bill of $15, with a $20, while guy wants to get his $100 broken.
                    I give girl her change of $5, and break guy's $100 while the drawer is open. I'm out no money.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

The tanning salon next to my work got scammed in a similar fashion, so the owner posted a memo to everyone warning them of the situation. The next time someone came in wanting change, the cashier put the twenty on the counter and covered it with his hand and commenced giving change to the person one handed. After changing her mind several times about the bills she wanted back, she took her money and counted it and said "Hey, I gave you a fifty!" At which point the cashier lifted up his hand that had not moved from the twenty since the transaction began, and pointed at the twenty said "uh no, so leave now and I won't call the cops". Needless to say, all you saw behind her was dust!
                      Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Comment

I always HATE when people do that. We only get a certain amount of $$ in the mornings, and getting 5's and 10's are rare, so when people do that, it makes me mad.
                        We are NOT allowed to break $100 bills or make change for anyone while our drawers are closed, cameras are on us and we can get written up for doing it.

Comment

Working...
                        X