This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry, that's not how our tax exempt system works

Had a lady last night, who was nice through her multiple transactions. Had one that was tax exempt. No big deal, except for asking if she could take a tax exempt form home with her and fill it out there (I guess... but, your purchase is here, now, right?). Until afterward, when she started asking me questions.
    "Is there some way I can apply for tax exempt here?"
    *blink, blink* "I'm pretty sure that's a government decision, it is not in the power of my store to give you that."
    "No, no, I mean, can this be used for other things?"
    "What? You mean like using the stuff you purchased in ways that aren't related to the tax exempt institution? I believe that would depend on the institute's rules, since, as long as we get the information, and it goes through, I could care less, basically."
    "Quit answering the wrong question!"
    Quit asking them.
    "I want to know if there's a way to sign up for a card or something that will allow me to just show it to you and not have to fill out the tax exempt form every time."
    "Oh, in that case, no, there's not. Our system isn't designed that way. You will have to fill out the form every time."
    "F***."
    Not with you.
    "I call murder on that!"

Quoth Juwl View Post
    "I want to know if there's a way to sign up for a card or something that will allow me to just show it to you and not have to fill out the tax exempt form every time."
    WTF? This is what she was driving at? How in hell were her two previous questions at all related to this? I've had some customers with poor communication skills, but this lady takes the cake.

"Oh, in that case, no, there's not. Our system isn't designed that way. You will have to fill out the form every time."
    That actually does suck. But the woman was such a knob I don't feel particularly badly for her.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

But, at least filling out the Tax Exempt form gives them something to do other than STARE at me while I scan their crap.

I'm just happy that the Tax Exempt thing doesn't require me to do anything at the beginning of the transaction.

You don't know how many (new, or from other stores, or people I just haven't worked with yet) employees I've had....give me a car-load of crap... watch me get to the end, and total their crap...and go "is that with the discount?"

"what discount? the coupon?"

"the employee discount?"

"aaaaaaaw CRAP". (either have to do an individual void of each item or get an FES to void the transaction)
      you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Kind of like the people we have here. I dont mind if you order a lot of pizzas for your church or for a function, its obvious that you are using it for that purpose. When someone wants just a little mini-pizza and a drink however, I draw the line when someone says to me; "I'm a church and I'm tax-exempt."

First of all, you are NOT a church. A church is a congregation or a group of people either worshiping or doing good works, studies, etc.

Second, personal consumption for one person is not or should not be allowed. Pay your own way like everyone else. Some people are so cheap.
        I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post
          "the employee discount?"
          Here we've just got a special employee card that takes the discount off for us. The PITA is the senior discount, of which there are two kinds, they have to have a special sticker on their card for, and has to be entered at the end.
          We take the card at the beginning, and I almost never remember to do it at the end of the transaction. They wait to ask me if that's with the discount until after they've paid, and I have to send them to customer service.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Why are some people able to get tax exempt?

Comment

1. People who whine about filling out the non-tax form irk me because they only have to fill out their name, number, organization address, and check a couple boxes. That's it. Their whining takes more time than it does to fill it out.

2. I've actually had the experience of making a purchase at another location of my store and while I told the cashier checking me out at the beginning of the transaction that I was an employee, she didn't do anything. She just scanned the barcode on my proof-of-employment-card-thing. This is vastly different from how I've done it at my (other TWO) store(s), but hey--it works. I think as long as you have the employee purchase form filled out you're okay.

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
                She just scanned the barcode on my proof-of-employment-card-thing.
                I don't even have one of those cards yet. Of course, I don't usually buy things from other stores in my area. Anything I feel like buying, I usually do just prior to or just after my shift.

Quoth Anakah View Post
                Some groups, such as non-profit groups, churches, schools, and such, can get tax exempt as a government thing, as I understand it, as they are either educational, or because they're making no money for their service. I'm not 100% on how the whole tax exempt thing works.
                Last edited by Imogene; 01-22-2008, 09:58 PM. Reason: Responding to more.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post
                  I'm just happy that the Tax Exempt thing doesn't require me to do anything at the beginning of the transaction.

You don't know how many (new, or from other stores, or people I just haven't worked with yet) employees I've had....give me a car-load of crap... watch me get to the end, and total their crap...and go "is that with the discount?"

"what discount? the coupon?"

"the employee discount?"

"aaaaaaaw CRAP". (either have to do an individual void of each item or get an FES to void the transaction)
                  SO many people do that to me and it makes me crazy. They even do it with tax exemptions, and sometimes even after they've paid, which makes the process of recharging them the proper amount all the more irritating.
                  Thankfully I'm able to void entire transactions myself, so if they tell me before they've paid even though it's annoying, I won't have to wait for a supervisor to fix the problem they created.

The most common reasons we get are people with Indian (Native) Status cards, film crews buying an assload of stuff for TV or movie sets, and vendor permits. I don't know why people get tax exemption for vendor permits, since you're not allowed to buy then resell our items, but they have the permit so I have to give them the tax exemption and I don't bother asking.
                  Last edited by rerant; 01-22-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    ISome groups, such as non-profit groups, churches, schools, and such, can get tax exempt as a government thing, as I understand it, as they are either educational, or because they're making no money for their service. I'm not 100% on how the whole tax exempt thing works.
                    A private business can be tax exempt if they are buying the items for resale. I do a lot of local buy / resale stuff so I don't have to pay the tax but I do have to collect tax when I sell it. Basically an item is only taxed once no matter how many steps it takes to get to the end consumer.

Like you already pointed out Churches, non-pofits and government agencies can also be tax exempt.

Steve B.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                      Some of the more common reasons are that they are purchasing the items for resale, or that they are an educational agency using the materials in lessons. There are many other reasons, though.
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Imprl59 View Post
                        A private business can be tax exempt if they are buying the items for resale.
                        I was gonna say the same thing.... we get a couple of those occasionally. They've gotta fill out the form everytime (which is only a couple of lines of information).
                        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Oh my gosh, I had a guy FREAK OUT and cancel his membership yesterday because he couldn't use a personal check or cash to pay for tax-exempt purchases for his church.
                          It's business check, or business AMEX/debit card only! (the AMEX part only because my store only takes AMEX credit, usually it's all credit cards in other stores.) They do this so the state can track the purchases of the business/group. If we get caught breaking this rule, there's a HUGE fine!
                          It's state law, we kept telling him, and he kept screaming in our faces that he "did it everywhere else" which is BS because, well, it's STATE LAW!
                          "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

I work (in my spare time, haha) for a not-for-profit film company that is tax-exempt. It took much accounting and form filling out to obtain that status, as we had to show that everything we make is funnelled directly into the next project, in the sense of equipment and such.

And if it really annoyed her, why couldn't she just take a few extra forms to fill out/copy and keep with her, to save time next time....oh wait...makes sense, not allowed. Now I remember.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Another thing I hate about the forms for tax exempt is customers routinely decline to check a box in their method of payment, because the options are all related to the organization's payments, as in an organization check or credit card. But the customer never seems to have either of those, so they just leave it blank. I usually tick one after they pay and before I run the form through, so I don't get in trouble for it being left blank.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X