Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We let these people breed...(a bit long.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We let these people breed...(a bit long.)

These people weren't sucky, so much as just plain stupid. It scares me to know that our race has overcome natural selection and lets the stupid live.

Any other species on the planet would die if they couldn't hear or see something right in front of them...

Anyways. Story time. 3 of them. Like I said, not sucky...they just make me shake my head or roll my eyes. (When they're gone, of course!) Three times in one day, as well.

Cast:

Me: Me
    DC: Dumb customer

Ham ham

Me: Hi, what can I get you?
    DC: Hi, can I get a pound of the sale ham?
    Me: Sure. We have honey, Virginia, or brown sugar. Which would you like?
    DC: Do you have Virginia?

I wouldn't be so uppity with this one...but...I spoke clearly. She was listening to me. She heard everything else I said, she just....decided not to hear the statement I made.

Where's the Bakery?

The way that my store is set up, the deli and the bakery are Right. Beside. Each other. There is no way you can miss it. Not unless you're blind. And even if you're blind...all you have to do is walk a straight line for two steps, and you've hit the bakery.

__________|.....|_______
    Deli Counter|....| Bakery.

I was standing right at our hot foods display (full of fried chicken, fries, and various other fried winglets/hot foods we sell), dropping chicken into the fryer. I'm in a coat, covered in chicken breading, sticking raw chicken into a 425 F degree vat of grease.

A lady was standing at the doughnuts. She comes up to me as I'm dropping the chicken, and says in a nice, snotty voice. "You're out of bags for the doughnuts. Where are they?"

Me: I'm sorry ma'am, I don't know. You'd have to ask the bakery department. I work in the deli. *holds up raw chicken to make my point.*

DC: *Gives me one of those you-should-drop-whatever-you're-doing-I-don't-care-if-you-don't-work-in-that-department-get-it-for-me-now looks.*

Then...here come the fun part. She sees I'm not about to stop breading chicken to find her bags. She does a 360. Literally, turns around in a full circle. Looks back at me. and asks

"Well, where's the bakery?"

And....the most beautiful one of all.

"Are you closed?"

The phrase that every one of you know and dread. Let me set the mood for you readers. It's 9:05PM. We close at 9. The lights are off. The hot food table is off, there is no food in it. The salads are wrapped. The lunch meat in the case is all wrapped up. All of the case lights are off. The meat and cheese slicers are torn apart and washed up.

I've JUST finished up. I walk out of the back door (it's more of a side door...it's the only door we have that doesn't lead right into the deli. More like the side of the deli. It's located right at the end of the Deli counter opposite of the bakery in my picture above.) Now, my hair is pulled out of it's pony tail, my hat is off. My apron is off. I have a cell phone in my hand, calling my ride to tell them I'm ready to go home. I'm two steps from freedom...

And a lady pulls her cart up to my counter.

Lady: Can I get a pound of honey ham?

There's no pause in her voice. No hesitancy. I mean...I figured ONE of those 10 things would give you a hint.

Me: Er....we're closed.

Lady: Are you closed?

Me: ...............

Last edited by Kyree; 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM.
    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

I feel your pain.

You can have your choice of a salmon or a chipper for these customers.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

*tongue firmly in cheek* Do you have a chipper I could use for them?

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
        Me: Sure. We have honey, Virginia, or brown sugar. Which would you like?
        DC: Do you have Virginia?
        I've actually put alot of thought into this type of incident.

I think it's because the customer isn't used to talking to someone who is on the ball and is so fixated on the question, because they need to ask it so often, that they completely "space" hearing most of what you initially said.

Having to repeat myself 2-3 times doesn't really rankle me, since bad phone connections do happen and I'm not sure how clearly the customer can hear me, I'll usually give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Anything more than that and your either just stupid or in complete denial about how bad of hearing you have.
        Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Working...
        X