X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A double-edged sword...

That would be my voice.

A bit of background before the quick stories. I'm male, and I have a deeper than average voice. Nowhere near Barry White level, but I've been told by more than one person of the feminine persuasion that it sounds really nice. Then again, I hate the sound of it (but then I think alot of people don't like the sound of their own voice).

Anyway, it's proven to be both a blessing and a curse for me.

Breaker, breaker, good buddy...

Back in the stone age before cell phones, CB radios used to be really popular. I had a customer interested in buying a base unit (a CB for the home) we sold, so I thought I'd briefly demonstrate how well it worked. I keyed the microphone and asked for a response to a simple equipment check. The response I got back was a very feminine voice asking, "Who's that guy with the really sexy voice?" Dur, uh, wha... That managed to kill my demonstation quite effectively.

Don't cry!

A nice couple with a baby were looking at telephones. I approached them and started my standard greeting. I only got a few words in before the baby started to cry. I stopped for a moment while the mother calmed him, and then started talking again. This time the baby started to wail, with real tears. Then it dawned on everyone what was going on - my voice was terrifying the baby. The father (with a higher-pitched voice) explained that the baby had never been around anyone with a deep voice before. Even though it wasn't my fault, and the parents were in no way upset with me, I still felt awful that a baby would be that scared of me.

Quoth 6809er View Post
    Even though it wasn't my fault, and the parents were in no way upset with me, I still felt awful that a baby would be that scared of me.
    My dad has always had the same problem. It's not his voice though, it's his beard. He's had a full beard for thirty years. He's just a huge teddy bear and LOVES children, but kids are terrified of all that hair.
    "Any free samples?"
    "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

From what I've observed (meaning I don't have kids of my own), babies and very young children can and often will be afraid of some very strange things.
      I've met kids (at the old toy store) who were afraid of wind up toys (little jumping frog kinds), kids who were afraid of wigs, masks (that's actually common in adults too), odd makeup (we had a Make Up Queen at our Ben Nye counter), marbles (I still don't get that one), voice changers, and just last night I watched a video of a baby crying whenever his Dad sang.

Go figure.

Comment

Quoth Bank Lady View Post
        My dad has always had the same problem.
        I'm too tall for most kids, particularly those under walking age. They see me, and I greet them, and usually, they slink off to hide behind Mom's leg or some such.
        I've got my response down pat, though, for the parents. "Yeah, I know, I'm too tall for kids. They see me, I talk to them, and usually, I get the wide eye stare that just screams, "Holy crap! Why is that tall girl talking to me? She's gonna eat me!". "
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
          I watched a video of a baby crying whenever his Dad sang.
          Was he that off-key?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I liked the one about the demonstration! Gosh! Shoulda used it as a selling point- "And see, this unit will even get a date for you!"
            My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Juwl
              They see me, I talk to them, and usually, I get the wide eye stare that just screams, "Holy crap! Why is that tall girl talking to me? She's gonna eat me!"
              I've gotten that response before, but only from 3 year olds and up. Newborns to 2 year olds love me for some strange reason.
              "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

From what I've observed (meaning I don't have kids of my own), babies and very young children can and often will be afraid of some very strange things.
                When I was a teen my mother liked to laugh about how, as a small child, I was terrified of porch furniture. She got a real kick out of it and would laugh her butt off. I really didn't think it was that funny, but now as an adult I guess I can laugh.

I keyed the microphone and asked for a response to a simple equipment check. The response I got back was a very feminine voice asking, "Who's that guy with the really sexy voice?" Dur, uh, wha... That managed to kill my demonstation quite effectively.
                LOL! There is this man I know, through mutual friends, that I have a huge crush on. He is very thin and young looking, even though he is thirty, and he has the deepest voice I have ever heard. No matter how many times I hear him talk, it absolutely jolts me every time he opens his mouth. I could sit for hours and just listen to him talk. *sigh*

Comment

Babies and toddlers like to stare at me. I didn't notice this until my bf pointed out that babies would stare at him because of his big nose, and we were sitting behind a baby that was facing us one time, and sure enough, the kid was just staring at my bf with huge eyes. Then he saw me, and ended up staring at both of us, and since then I've been cursed (blessed?) with staring babies. At least they don't cry while they stare. It's quite effective to get them to shut up.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a big nose. It's about average size. I have no excuses as to why they would stare at me, but they do.
                  Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                  Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                  The Office

Comment

babies love me......im short witha large chest....i look comfey to them lol.
                    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Bwahahaha! Loved the first one! I wouldn't be able to keep normal either!

Comment

Quoth monolayth View Post
                        babies love me......im short witha large chest....i look comfey to them lol.
                        Maybe they're just hungry?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                          I have no excuses as to why they would stare at me, but they do.
                          I'll get stared at by babies quite often. Mom once said it was because of the shoulder bag I carry (bright colors and chibi-style characters), but it also happens when I don't have said bag with me. Hmmm. I've had occasions where previously inconsolable babies caught a glimpse of me and quieted down...they didn't seem scared at all, just curious
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Parents with babies LOVE me. Any child under the age of 3, who is not related to me, will fall asleep when I hold them (also works on baby animals). My family has no idea why, but ever since I was 10, hand me a crying baby and with in 5 minutes he or she would be asleep. I think it has somthing to do with the fact that I am always softly humming or singing under breath, which lulls them in to sleep. Again I must point out this only happens to children that are not related to me, cousins, by blood not marriage, are immune to my "sleep touch", cousins by marriage will still go down but it takes longer, about 15 minutes.
                            Is it insanity to reason with the voices in your head or to ignore them and hope they go away on their own? - Hod from Brat-halla

"You're the nicest evil person I know" one of my managers to me

Comment

All small children are scared of me, its a standard response that they become critically shy or start crying when they see me!
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                              X