Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why he couldn't just drive to Detroit and catch the flight at the Detroit airport. Sure, he's eat the cost of the first ticket, but he wouldn't get charged that $200 fee. I'm totally confused. So if he changes planes in Detroit, why can't he just arrive and go through security there, and get directly onto the second plane? Would anyone even notice?
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Taking a train is an extremely pleasant way to travel. Especially if you have some serious distance to travel and you are aboard one of the big "luxury" trains.

Yeah, it takes for forever to get anywhere, but at least I dont' have to do it drunk. I can enjoy myself the entire time. You can sprawl out, walk around, go vist people in other cars, sleep, read, get snacks, whatever. Nice.

Comment

Am I the only one here who likes flying? Fast, convenient... at least it was before some of the security checks got instituted. I have rather fond memories of doing a Detroit-Cleveland puddle jump in this plane that was, near as I can tell, a mix of propeller and jet (DC3? Back in the early 80s). Heading down the runway I had a window seat, and got to watch the wings flexing up and down... up and down... to less than a meter from the runway...

Turns out that the turbulence we encountered was us flying around a tornado over Lake Erie. And it makes a great memory.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Taking a train is an extremely pleasant way to travel. Especially if you have some serious distance to travel and you are aboard one of the big "luxury" trains.
          Nothing beats the upper level of one of Amtrak's dome cars. Sadly, most of those have since been retired. They still have Superliners, but it's not the same. There's nothing like looking straight ahead and watching the locomotives going into a curve, or digging in on a hill. Plus, the view up there is awesome

I didn't mind flying before 9-11, but after that, I don't like it at all. Flying out of Pittsburgh the week after 9-11 to Albany, was *not* a good time. Seeing all the soldiers, the military trucks, showing up 3 hours before departure for security, etc. had me so rattled that I didn't even sleep on the plane

After that, I'm not flying again. I'd rather drive, or take the train.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            I didn't mind flying before 9-11, but after that, I don't like it at all. Flying out of Pittsburgh the week after 9-11 to Albany, was *not* a good time. Seeing all the soldiers, the military trucks, showing up 3 hours before departure for security, etc. had me so rattled that I didn't even sleep on the plane

After that, I'm not flying again. I'd rather drive, or take the train.
            That's your opinion, and I respect that, but to me, that means that the terrorists have won. And I'm not about to let that happen.

I too enjoy flying. I had never flown before 9-11, so I never knew what it was like before the security crackdown.

Still, though. . . nothing beats the feeling of takeoff and landing to me

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
              Not having read the three pages of responses, I'd say the guy came to crunch time, and freaked out... My boyfriend gets like that whenever he has to fly (unfortunately, there's an ocean between us, so he *has* to fly to visit). Usually he calls me from his house before he leaves for the airport so I can calm him down, and then he calls me again from his mobile at the airport That's what actually gets him on the plane

Why didn't you just tell the guy to drive to Denver anyway? He wouldn't be saving any money, but he didn't *have* to take the first flight.... he just had to show up in time for the connection. He just couldn't change his ticket, that's all.
              Unfortunately that's not how it works. If you purchase a non refundable ticket and no show the first flight, the airlines will cancel the rest of the itinerary. If you attempt to cancel the first flight out of the system, it forces you to reprice it at the current day's rate. Not taking any part of the itinerary constitutes a change in the airlines eyes, unfortunately.

Sounds ridiculous I know, but that's the way they operate.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                I don't understand why he couldn't just drive to Detroit and catch the flight at the Detroit airport. Sure, he's eat the cost of the first ticket, but he wouldn't get charged that $200 fee. I'm totally confused. So if he changes planes in Detroit, why can't he just arrive and go through security there, and get directly onto the second plane? Would anyone even notice?
                It's completely ridiculous, I know...but the airlines have it monitored that when someone no-shows the first segment of an itinerary, in this case Louisville to Detroit, they will automatically go in and cancel the rest of the itinerary. So he couldn't do that, unfortuately.

Sounds insane, doesn't it?

Now try explaining this concept to people about 40 times a day. It's a wonder I have any hair left.

He was a really nice guy and I really appreciate all the responses that shed some light on the possible reasons for his fear. I did everything I could think of to make it so he didn't have to take the small plane, but the airline would not budge.

The fact that he was so gracious about it made me feel that much worse for him. If he had been yelling and screaming and/or being a typical SC, I wouldn't have felt nearly as bad for him.

I think I'll send him an email next week to see how he did.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                  That's your opinion, and I respect that, but to me, that means that the terrorists have won. And I'm not about to let that happen.

I too enjoy flying. I had never flown before 9-11, so I never knew what it was like before the security crackdown.

Still, though. . . nothing beats the feeling of takeoff and landing to me
                  My thoughts exactly.

Though I was a hardened flight-veteran before 9-11, and the next chance I got to get on a plane, I took it, just to spite those damned terrorists! (Hey, I was 11, OK? I thought I was slapping some damned terrorists in the face!)
                  "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    if he's afraid to fly... how exactly was he going to make it to Tokyo? Unless he's just not afraid of flying over water?

(should i meet him tomorrow when he lands and poke him in the eye for you?)
                    He was fine in flying in a large 747 jet, but not in a small plane. And while having a few drinks before flying to calm one's nerves may seem like a good idea things can go badly if you overdue it. Airlines have broad discretion to deny boarding to passengers they think may be intoxicated.
                    Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

That's why I don't speak and have a handler. As long as I can keep my mouth shut and sort of lean on someone a little, I can pass for sober well enough.

Comment

heh heh RK, you have the best idea for fear of flying.

As for me, if I'm in the States or Canada and I have the option of taking a plane, I'm driving thank you very much. Or taking the train.
                        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                          To me, it had nothing to do with "beating" the terrorists. I just didn't enjoy the experience--on the return trip, so many flights had been canceled, I felt like a sardine. Oh, and getting searched multiple times at the Albany airport really sucked--I got searched when I arrived, and also at the gate.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                          X