This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Thief Thwarted

I went to the mall today to get a bacon cheese burger at one of the food court vendors. As I was waiting for my order to be made, a kid (10ish) walked up and stuck his hand into the tip jar, which had a bunch of coins and several dollar bills. As he started fingering the bills, I tapped him on the shoulder and told him, "Those aren't yours." He looked at me, removed his hand, and went to stand next to his father (?) who was reading the menu. Maybe he thought those dollars were free samples.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

10-ish, you say? I think that kid should know better by that age. I certainly knew what tips and tip jars were by age 10, and I definitely knew better than to rummage around tip jars like that.

Comment

It's sad because the person behind the counter probably couldn't have told the kid anything .... Kudos for thwarting the lad's actions ...

This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
        It's sad because the person behind the counter probably couldn't have told the kid anything .... Kudos for thwarting the lad's actions ...

The kid had his eyes on the three people behind the counter. They were involved with preparing orders and not the counter. He apparently didn't notice me, or thought I would ignore him.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          I went to the mall today to get a bacon cheese burger at one of the food court vendors. As I was waiting for my order to be made, a kid (10ish) walked up and stuck his hand into the tip jar, which had a bunch of coins and several dollar bills. As he started fingering the bills, I tapped him on the shoulder and told him, "Those aren't yours." He looked at me, removed his hand, and went to stand next to his father (?) who was reading the menu. Maybe he thought those dollars were free samples.
          or just tell his dad

Comment

that would probaly work except for the fact today's answer from anything to 4 year old dragging a 52 HDTV off the stand breaking it to murdering someone "He's a kid he doesn't know better." I've always wanted to say "yeah well let my foot teach him what prison's like because the cops aren't exactly forgiving "

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
              It's sad because the person behind the counter probably couldn't have told the kid anything ....
              You'd better believe I have said something to kids taking my tips.

Twice I caught kids grabbing a few coins off a table I hadn't bussed yet. They knew damn well what they were doing was wrong, too. You could tell from the guilty looks on their faces when I caught them.

I think adults would steal more tips than kids. They were just smarter and faster so I couldn't catch them. I'd just piece it together after they left.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Off topic, but this just reminded me of a time when I was about 4 years old and my grandma took me out to lunch at a diner somewhere. We had our meal, and as we were getting back in the car I handed my grandma a wad of bills and said "here, you forgot this on the table."

She just laughed, explained what it was and we went back inside to give it to the waitress. Everyone thought it was funny, but I was mortified.
                You know that feeling you get when you lean too far back in a chair and you find yourself falling, but catch yourself just in time? I feel like that all the time.

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                  10-ish, you say? I think that kid should know better by that age. I certainly knew what tips and tip jars were by age 10, and I definitely knew better than to rummage around tip jars like that.
                  i think i did that when i was his age. but my family never went out to restaurants so i was horribly confused when my aunt left money on the table and walked away. i grabbed it and gave it back to her and she scolded me and told me why we leave it there, then marched me right back to the table.
                  it's said that no sane person could bite another person and draw blood. I've done it before, but then again sanity has always been questionable in our family.

Comment

When the service is really good, I tip well and make sure to put it into the hand of the deserving. *sigh* just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone won't swipe the tip... I hate the thought of someone taking really good care of me and then thinking I stiffed them out of a tip.
                    Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
                      When the service is really good, I tip well and make sure to put it into the hand of the deserving. *sigh* just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone won't swipe the tip... I hate the thought of someone taking really good care of me and then thinking I stiffed them out of a tip.
                      I hate to say, but I do this too. Not for the same reason, though. I find at a lot of places lately that the my servers have given me crap service but the Hostesses or bussers are the ones to do everything. I guess I have been having bad luck lately because the last three times I have went out the only times I ever saw my server was when they took the order and brought me the bill. Someone else did all the rest.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                        You'd better believe I have said something to kids taking my tips.

Twice I caught kids grabbing a few coins off a table I hadn't bussed yet. They knew damn well what they were doing was wrong, too. You could tell from the guilty looks on their faces when I caught them.

I think adults would steal more tips than kids. They were just smarter and faster so I couldn't catch them. I'd just piece it together after they left.
                        This would be why I've taken to tipping on my debit card when I use that to pay more often, even though that means that the tip absolutely has to be reported. I'd rather the wait staff gets the money than some asshole who "thinks" it's "just money left about".
                        Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Working...
                        X